H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Paddy - Scale 1:48

As it is said ""Enjoy the ride"".

Hope the ice cream cake went down well and enjoy the incoming saw. Someday I hope to have one.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Glad you are enjoying the build - and the cake!  Your first steps look really good!  Someday I may try one of these...maybe...

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

You still have cake?? And where are you again?? LOL. Enjoy my friend Enjoy. Just looked at the map. I know the area to the North of you. If you get near the Ellsworth area I have a great place for curds and great cheese at low prices. Just let me know as it seems almost all of the small cheese factories have been bought up.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

That is very common. I have used bamboo from fishing poles and had good luck with it. Still, it all takes patience and persistance.

Russ

Spent my time in the shop today setting up the gantry building board preparing for the mounting of the frames to the keel. In the mean time I can use the GBB for dry fitting the frames to insure the proper fit before the glue-up starts. Another is simply getting familiar with the board and learning to use its advantages.

Setting up a temporary fence to keep the keel from moving while drilling the bores for the 2-56 tap.

post-2736-0-93728300-1367789445_thumb.jpg

Clamped the Dremel tool to the GBB for drilling the bores.

post-2736-0-64666200-1367789562_thumb.jpg

Taping and mounting the keel to the GBB.

post-2736-0-76503500-1367789638_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-69893500-1367789673_thumb.jpg

Dry fitting the “C” and “B” frame to the keel.

post-2736-0-83793000-1367789778_thumb.jpg

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

That is a nice set up. So long as it works for you, that is what is most important.

Russ

My Redheart plank arrived today and is a good looking piece of wood. Thank you Rusty for pointing out your choice of wood for the hatch coamings and water ways. I’m going to copy your choice of Redheart for the hatch coamings at least. For the hatch gratings I’ll either use Boxwood or Yellowheart I think. I’m enjoying this project. Hope I don’t botch it to bad.

post-2736-0-64567700-1368208191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Being a beginning apprentice the process of milling, cutting the futtocks and assembling the frames has been a good learning experience. I’m now on the cleanup of the third frame, “A” in this case, and was thinking about what I’ve learned to this point. One of the things is not how to use some of the tools I have but when to use them. Almost, I say almost, makes me want to go back and do the first two frames again. ;)

Anyway, a big thanks to all of you with your guidance of suggestions, recommendations or presenting your photos with descriptions. A great group assembled here in the Triton Squadron. :)

One of the tools that I must be careful with is an old disc sander I’m using and have wanted to replace for a number of years now. Has served me well for whatever I needed to use it for but it’s a drag to have to check that the table is still at 90 degrees to the disc before and during use. Even have blocks under the table to help in the stabilization because the table locking screws don’t hold no matter how much I torque them.

Well, that’s enough rambling for a Friday night here in the mid-western colonies.      

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if it’s the land lubber in me but these bamboo treenails are starting to put a twist in my nickers. Between scraping and pulling they’re becoming very labor intensive. I saw in Rustys’ log that he is going to make some treenails out of boxwood for his decking. Since my Jim saw arrived and I have some boxwood timber in the inventory now I’m going to rip some boxwood blanks and try pulling those. But, I’ll finish out the frames with the bamboo or loose ‘teredo navalis’ worms on’um.   :angry:  

Work in Progress -

Hey Paddy....that Redheart wood looks really nice...will be a great touch on your cross section to accent...\

Was shipping very high from them (Bell Forest correct?)

As far as treenails go I know what you mean....some people get paper cuts.....I was getting bamboo cuts from where I was splitting the skewers with a razor knife.

Best of luck on the boxwood nails

What would be your price per nail to make some :D  

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Paddy:

I guess it might depend on how much time you are spending on the bamboo. Pulling bamboo through the drawplate is something I do when I am waiting for the glue to dry on a piece, or at odd times when I do not feel like do any other modeling. It is possible, by small efforts, to build up a stock of treenail ready material, but I would not try and do too much of it at a time.

Russ

Hey Paddy....that Redheart wood looks really nice...will be a great touch on your cross section to accent...\

Was shipping very high from them (Bell Forest correct?)

As far as treenails go I know what you mean....some people get paper cuts.....I was getting bamboo cuts from where I was splitting the skewers with a razor knife.

Best of luck on the boxwood nails

What would be your price per nail to make some :D  

Hi Pete,

Sent your a PM on the Bell Forest Products purchase.

Man, there ain't enough gold to make me contract treenails.  :piratetongueor4: 

Work in Progress -

Paddy:

I guess it might depend on how much time you are spending on the bamboo. Pulling bamboo through the drawplate is something I do when I am waiting for the glue to dry on a piece, or at odd times when I do not feel like do any other modeling. It is possible, by small efforts, to build up a stock of treenail ready material, but I would not try and do too much of it at a time.

Russ

Russ, that sounds like very good advice. :)  

Work in Progress -

That Redheart looks really nice. I hope you enjoy it. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Doing a bunch of treenails can sap your soul. Russ's approach is better but requires some discipline to remember to do so. I tried pulling treenails whilst watching television. You break a few as you are paying less attention but you can get a useable pile done quickly without too much frustration.

Joss

Thanks for the encouragement Daniel.

I have all the frames assembled now and starting to do cleanup and truing. I’ll stack them to make sure the height of each is correct, etc. I’m a bit nervous about this process hoping I haven’t done to bad of a job. That’s another plus for scratch building I think. If at first you don’t succeed do it again.

On another note as I finished making the treenails for the last frame I realized that I was starting to get the hang of making them. What a struggle it has been up to this point. For me it seems the best approach is in careful prepping of the bamboo sticks before introducing to the draw plate. Even found I do a much better job of drawing the treenails holding the plate and not mounting in a vise. At the start if my bamboo sliver is not reasonably square or symmetrical I throw it in the trash bin and prepped another before even trying the draw plate.    

Work in Progress -

Paddy:

On drawing treenails, I always hold the plate in my hand and draw with the other hand. I use a hobby knife to split my bamboo, but I do not worry much about if it is perfectly square in section. I usually draw about a 6-7 inch length at a time. Always go through each hole more times than you think you should. On the last several pulls through a given hole, there should be very little resistance. I angle the dowel through the hole on the last several passes to try and take off a little more before moving on to the next hole. That makes drawing through the next hole a bit easier.

Russ

Paddy:

On drawing treenails, I always hold the plate in my hand and draw with the other hand. I use a hobby knife to split my bamboo, but I do not worry much about if it is perfectly square in section. I usually draw about a 6-7 inch length at a time. Always go through each hole more times than you think you should. On the last several pulls through a given hole, there should be very little resistance. I angle the dowel through the hole on the last several passes to try and take off a little more before moving on to the next hole. That makes drawing through the next hole a bit easier.

Russ

Thanks Russ. That which I've underline is spot on with your technique that I learned with the last session. I almost look forward to drawing treenails now........ but not quite. ;)

Work in Progress -