HMS Hood by jim_smits - Hachette partworks - 1:200

Hello all,

I am taking a bit of a gamble and going to attempt the Hachette partworks model of HMS Hood. I say a gamble because this was first published four years ago and I will be purchasing editions of the magazine from eBay, Gumtree and other assorted online resources. I think locating and buying the editions will be as much of a challenge as building the ship itself!

I have today managed to buy issues 1-7 and 26-32 from a supplier on eBay for £3 each. I also have a beady eye on listings from 8-19 which are on a bidding basis ending tonight. Watch this space! Of course if any of you are desperate to donate / sell any unwanted editions this would be very welcome. ;) ;)

As some of you know I am in the process of moving house (eventually) and so I suspect actual construction will probably be delayed until I move and build my new workshop but I will try and squeeze something in before then if I can.

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

An adventure for sure! May I be the first to join?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Success! Just managed to win issues 8 to 19. With each issue as a separate item to bid on, with a 40 second gap between the end of each item, it was a slightly frenetic 10 minutes!

That gives me a good block of issues to start with now but the hunt will continue.....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Best of luck with getting the remaining issues, Jim. And also with your build. HMS Hood was a beautiful ship. I, too, will follow along.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great stuff its nice to see a few more builders working on WW2 ships ;):)

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Yes, I did notice there were some seriously fiddly photo etch parts from reading some old build blogs online. I have had some practise by building some of the range of metal earth models.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Yes, I did notice there were some seriously fiddly photo etch parts from reading some old build blogs online. I have had some practise by building some of the range of metal earth models.

Cant be any worse than 350 scale surely?  when i did my first bit of etch on my Warspite(just a ladder and small platform) i was holding my breath - told the wife not to talk - turn down the TV and hold onto the cat to stop her jumping on the table /work bench, it was murder and i am yet to do those tinny tiny little little little orke  machine guns that i can hardly see let alone put together...... :o  :o  :o 

But we all endure and manage some how ;):D

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Right. Did a slightly different search on eBay and may be coincidence but a guy in Newport had just listed the entire collection on a buy it now or best offer listing with no postage cost. Is it any of you.....???

Just sent a message with an offer that I will collect and save a lot of postage cost and hassle. He asked for £780 which is only just under the original total cost. Made a lower offer. Let's see if he accepts......

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Offer declined. I'm not going to increase my bid but the item is listed for another 4 weeks. I'll offer again towards the end if it hadn't been bought in the meantime.

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I think locating the magazine editions is going to be as big a part as the build log. However, I have had a very productive afternoon and actually saved a fair bit of money. A supplier on eBay listed a huge number of back issues and I've managed to grab another 78 issues for £3 each.

I'm going to get a few big deliveries....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Unfortunately two reasons why not.

1) I need parts 1-7 which are the bottom keel section and main ribs

2) I'm moving in just over two weeks and now packing up the house

So I will continue teasing for a little while!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I don't have any actual build progress to report unfortunately but I do now have a confirmed move date of April 1st. Hopefully, I can find a temporary building area whilst I install my workshop.

In the meantime I have been busy collecting issues of the magazine and I now have 128 out of 140. I have been through all of them and filed the magazines and boxed up all the parts. I have pretty much two lever arch folders full and a packing box full of wood, plastic and metal parts.

I have also got a hold of a copy of Anatomy of the Ship for the Hood. And finally bought a cheap and cheerful 1:720 scale plastic Hood model. I have put it together to give me a nice little reference point, even if it isn't highly accurate.

post-465-0-54407100-1458503091_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-88968600-1458503092_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-81952700-1458503093_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-74113300-1458503094_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-61494100-1458503095_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-40591800-1458503096_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

You have been busy.   :)    Good luck and good fortune on the move.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hope everything goes well with your move.

I'm looking forward to seeing this build - although my parents were not particularly interested in navel history (they were both in the RAF during WWII), this ship had a place in their hearts and some of that rubbed off on me.

All the best,

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Good luckwith the move!ihope everything goes smoothly, and that you'll have a very nice new workshop!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Jim, I presume you've been all over the official HMS Hood website.  http://hmshood.com

And the AOTS Hood is good, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

It's been a while but we are now largely moved into our new house. No major problems apart from the usual hiccups with a house move and now an extensive list of redecoration wishes....

The workshop will take a while to get into any useable form, if only because I need to go through planning permission rigmarole before I make any changes. Technically, it is a car port at the moment as it is open to the elements on two sides. To enclose fully as a 'garage' requires PP from local council.

In the meantime, the kitchen diner table has been commandeered and will do nicely for now. 

post-465-0-29978500-1461489393_thumb.png

post-465-0-54340100-1461489394_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-10803100-1461489395_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-75470900-1461489395_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Well, onto the actual build itself then.

I have now acquired 134 out of the 140 published issues, so I am almost there. I am keeping a very close eye on eBay and on a site called CashForPartworks for the missing issues.

Now I have a table to work on I have made a start. I've bought a 180cm length of wood to act as a build board for the time being. The advantage in collecting all the issues after the finish of the partworks run is that I can dry assemble a large section of the parts to check fit.

Here I have cut the bottom of the keel from the plywood sprues and dry fitted to start getting an idea of size. At this point I am very impressed with the quality of the laser cut pieces. It's going to be a big boat.......

post-465-0-07316800-1461490211_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Next part of the build involves assembling and gluing the various frames together. The build has the option of having a removable deck if you want to build as a remote control model. I am not going down the RC option but I will leave the deck pieces removable for the moment to allow flexibility.

To allow for a removable deck, wood blocks are glued to the frame and a deck support then sits in the subsequent cradle that is produced and can be removed as required.

post-465-0-45939100-1461490633_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-44313800-1461490634_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-02267600-1461490635_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-61375400-1461490635_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Looking Good Jim .. Can't wait to see this beauty develop .

BTW what length is she going to be (at 1:200.. should be pretty big ! you might need to include her in the Planning Permission   :P  )

All The Best Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

I've completed a few of the frames now and started doing a dry fit along with a few side brace pieces. Fits together very well. I'll probably complete most of the frames and dry fit the majority of the skeleton of the hull before committing to gluing it together, but so far so good.

post-465-0-09382200-1461493512_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-01280900-1461493513_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim,

Looking forward to following this build.  You are off to great start.  I hope to eventually do a paper version of the Hood by Halinski at some stage.

Incidentally the Hood was 262 metres overall length which makes it a gnat's over 1.3m at 1:200.

Cheers

Slog 

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Welcome back! She's looking great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of: