probablynot

Silhouet [finished] by probablynot - Constructo - 1/60 - Dutch 'tjalk' river cargo boat

Good Heavens, Sam, I wouldn't dare call this marriage a 'hobby'!  An occupation, perhaps?  A profession?  I think I'd better settle on 'vocation'!

My 'secondary hobby', actually, is cross-stitch work.  Here's my current project ...

Brian,

I was perusing your build log (very good by the way) and saw your cross-stitch pieces. Beautiful, I assume the hours were many maybe more than modeling the galleon is going to be a killer (fantastic). I would put those pieces alongside any paint on canvas, very nice x 10. This Bud's for you.  :cheers: 

Thanks, everyone, for the advice etc. about the sails.
Jan, I'd already seen that picture (of the actual 'Silhouet') and it shows how I originally wanted my sails to appear.  However, I've seen other pictures of other tjalks under sail, and some of them have a lovely mix of sail colours.

post-25-0-56590800-1485010471_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-30850800-1485010482.jpgpost-25-0-92840900-1485010497.jpeg

I rather like the idea of deviating from the way the actual Silhouet is rigged, and using a mixture of coloured fabrics for the sails of my model.

post-25-0-26966100-1485010548_thumb.jpg

I dug this selection of fabrics out of my craft cupboard (leftovers from 30-40 years ago when I used to make & sell toys at craft markets). The top one [F] is Constructo's own sailcloth for comparison.  I'm thinking I might use for the main and mizen; [D] and [F] for the two foresails.

Next step is to see how accurate I can be in sewing some lines exactly 10mm apart to represent the seams.

To John Allen re. the cross-stitch.  Yes, it's a hobby that takes time!  I started my "attack on a galleon" cross-stitch project back in August 2014!  About 81,000 stitches done so far.  Another 52,650 yet to be done!

I really like the idea of your colourful sails - go for it!

On the different topic (!!!!!) are you really a sad enough person to count your stitches ? Are you sure you are right and that you didn't lose count at 79950 ?

Mike he didn't realise how much he still needs to stich ... he stoped at 7999 so another 125,000 left ;)

Brian, I like the idea, keep to what Jan wrote though. I t does seem a bit grey-ish the cloth for the main sail. The material looks good though

Cheers

I sewed the seam lines onto 3 of the 4 sails this afternoon.  Slightly wavy lines, but just about within my acceptability boundaries.  I'd have done the 4th sail as well, except I had tension problems (didn't set up the lower bobbin properly!) and then it was time to cook dinner!

post-25-0-10898500-1485032971_thumb.jpg

And this evening, just for fun (and to gauge the effect of what I'm planning to do) I cut some sail shapes out of scrap fabric and superimposed them over Constructo's own kit-box image of the Silhouet.  I think I'm pleased.

post-25-0-85856100-1485032986_thumb.jpg

By the way, Jan, I can assure you that the fabric really is brown, not grey.  None of these pictures is really doing justice to the colours - they're shot in ordinary room lighting.  They do give a reasonable idea of the overall effect though.

Sam - I had to reject fabric [A].  I decided it was too coarse.  So is fabric [E]. 

Edited by probablynot

These relatively small inland water ships are so nice.

It is a shame that there are only new kits of HMS victory, Vasa and the whole lot.

There should be far more of these (and please: in the working boat version, and not their third life as a yaght)

Jan

Looking good and good choice of color for the sails. In the 80's I built a tjalk from a kit and it came with thick dark brown sail cloth. Unfortunately the ship got crushed when I moved.

The kit was from the Authentic Shipmodels Amsterdam company. Still have the catalog from 1982. I built all there flat bottom boats

Not to hijack the discussion but here she is.

post-2705-0-28265100-1485351593.jpg

Marcus

Thanks for the help and comments, everyone.

It's especially great to have so many guys from the Netherlands taking an interest in my attempt to build one of your ships.

All the standing rigging has been attached now.

post-25-0-32628800-1485532534_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-59161000-1485532551_thumb.jpg

I really need to get my sails made now, as the running rigging doesn't make much sense without them.  So I've brought the model indoors from the workshop, and whenever the dining-room table is free I'll get my sewing machine out and have a go.

post-25-0-74792400-1485532623_thumb.jpg

I find these two tools absolutely essential when doing any rigging.
The clippers were sold as nail clippers in our local pharmacy.  I bought a good quality pair, and they cut rope very precisely.
The long thin tool started life as a very fine crochet hook.  When the hook at the end broke off, I soldered a piece of carefully-bent paperclip wire to the end and added a turned wooden handle.  Makes it so easy to pass ropes around cleats, belaying pins etc.

Two sails sewn.

I can't sew the main and mizen this evening.  I left the thread outside in the workshop, and it's raining so I'm not going out!

The sails will all have to have bolt-ropes.  The fabric runs parallel with the leech, with the luff on the bias, so the halyards would pull them out of shape.

Jan, would the Silhouet's sails have bolt-rope all the way round?  My instinct is to sew along the luff (and around the head and tack), and to leave the foot and leech un-roped. 

post-25-0-19513200-1485551639_thumb.jpg

I've made all the sails now, and I've borrowed the Admiral's iron to press them and get most of the creases out.  Still doing a bit of research about sewing on the bolt-ropes.  Should they go all the way around, or just along the luff (with perhaps something at the clew)?

I've asked several nederlands-gurus here in MSW for some pointers.  So far, it looks as though I might need to sew the rope all round the sails.  A pity - I've got just about enough suitable 0.6mm rope if I only have to do the luffs!  Sewing all round would mean buying-in some nicely-made rope, supple, with strands well-enough defined for sewing on.  Not easy ...

Brian,

Have a look at saddlers' thread. I use it for a multitude of purposes. There is linnen thread at various thicknesses ... just a thought. I don't know if they sell to private customers but you can orientate yourself here  http://abbeyengland.com/Store/List/0/CategoryID/438/Level/a

I've decided to use "CAP Maquettes" brown stranded dacron 0.6mm.  Seems it was the usual thing to treat bolt-rope with 'the finest Stockholm Tar', so it would probably have been a brown colour rather than natural hemp.  The dacron strands are very well defined, which makes it easier to sew it on.  I did have a small amount in stock, so I've started doing the mizen, and I've placed an order with Cornwall for some more.

0.6mm would scale up to 3.6mm (or 1.4 inches) diameter.  A shade too large, maybe, but sewing 0.4mm bolt rope would be a challenge even for me and my lovely new cataract-free eyes!

Oh, and I ordered the HMS Fly kit (plus upgrade) at the same time ... :) :) :)

I'll post a pic of the bolt-roped mizen later this evening if I finish it.

Here's where I've got to.

The sails are all made.  I've added a bit of a 'roach' to the foot of each sail.  Constructo's plans had them with straight lines all round, but all the tjalk pictures in Google show them with a measure of curvy, feminine allure!

post-25-0-59553900-1485808509_thumb.jpg

It took me all this afternoon to sew the bolt-rope on the mizen!  Requires a very sharp, very thin needle (I'm using a quilting needle - at less than an inch long it's a very fiddly thing to play with).  You sew with the lay of the rope, so that the thread lies neatly in the gap between the strands, and it's one stitch per strand!  Here's a close-up:

post-25-0-65077100-1485808524_thumb.jpg

I've got enough bolt-rope thread for the two foresails, but then I'll be waiting for Cornwall Model Boats to deliver the extra that I ordered.

Thanks for the generous comments Popeye, John, Jan.

I'm still working on the bolt-rope whenever I find a decent stretch of free time.  The new cord has arrived from Cornwall, so I've now got plenty for finishing the job.  So far, the Mizen and the Foresail are done;  the Mainsail is about half-finished and I still have to start on the flying jib.  I'll take more pictures when I start to rig them on the model.

Thanks again for the comments and all the likes.

All the sails now have their bolt-rope.  And today I started to add the sails and the running rigging to the model.  So far, only the mizen is completed.  But it didn't take all that long, and I now have a firm feeling that I'm on the home stretch with my Silhouet build.

Constructo's idea of mounting the ensign on a bit of brass wire stuck into a hole in the rudder didn't appeal to me.  So I made a proper staff for the flag, and mounted it in two different-sized brass eyes. 

post-25-0-32836600-1486314407_thumb.jpg