Battle Station by cobra1951 - FINISHED - Panart - 1:23 - Also known as Posto Di Combattimento

Greetings Bob and congrats on the build so far. It is a fun build and I enjoyed my attempt a lot.

Watching and waiting,

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Gun deck planking done except for the last plank which cannot be fitted until the three rear upright supports have been removed later in the build. They will be removed once the six support pillars have been put in place

post-11947-0-83644200-1460366436_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-94052800-1460366470_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-06979900-1460366477_thumb.jpg

Next job is the inner and outer hull planking

Cheers Frank. :)

Stuff happens mate best to forget about it and move on is the way i go :)

This kit is very good, all the wood is really good quality

Looking great Bob! I was curious as to the quality of the wood but if what I'm seeing is the kit lumber then I agree it is very nice. Your planking looks very good. Nice caulking joints in between the boards and the nail heads look indented. Did you use a punch to make them or is that just illusion created by the picture?

I do have a question and I may be wrong but should there be nails at the end of the boards where they meet the coamings or do the planks tuck under them so you do not see the nails? I have seen them both ways and I usually will put nails there as I thought that the coamings extend down into the hatch openings but I was wondering if that is correct? 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi EJ, what you see is all kit wood and the quality is great. The only wood i am planning on adding myself is to the exposed beams and frames at the end of the build. I am going to add 0.5 x 6mm Lime over each exposed beam and frame then painting them white. This should give me a better finish rather than painting over the exposed ply edges.

Thanks for noticing i had not added the simulated tree nails around the sides of the coamings, i had forgotton to add them :o but better to find out now than to remember when the top deck is partially planked :huh:

The tree nails are indented and i use this to make the hole, then i use the point of a pencil to darken it and make it slightly wider

post-11947-0-01810200-1460381416_thumb.jpg

Tree nails duly added (thanks to you :) )

post-11947-0-98406100-1460381509_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-75867900-1460381521_thumb.jpg

The holes are a bit closer in the last photo but the camera angle makes them look more closer than they are.

Edited by Cobr@

I think I will have to start using that method of indenting the nails as well. I definitely like that look better than just having them put on with a fine point marker which is how I've typically done them in the past. Thanks for the info!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks Paul. :)

I am going to add simulated tree nails to the hull inside and out but not to the extent i have seen some have been done, too much looks like overkill IMHO

Also i am planing on placing the bits central to the hatchways if possible looks odd the way the instructions want it to go

Hi Paul

Will test everything once i have the parts built up. In the instructions the hatch covers do not look like they are in the same position on the upper and lower decks, to me this is incorrect but i will see better once i get to that stage and adjust everything as needed (hopefully lol) :)

Hi Bob.

I found that the instruction booklet and the plans differ quite a lot. Seems as the plans are from before they used laser and the booklet from after the new parts where included. I decided to go mostly by the plan and used the booklet only as a general how-to. When they built the cannons they made a mistake with the part that's in the middle under the cannon: It's to high, later on in the instructions you can see that the second cannon they built have the right height but the other is still wrong. Hope you understand what I mean. If not I'll try and dig out the booklet and show you.  :)

Regards

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Thanks Mr Pucko
I will check it out before final assembly. I am working from the booklet mostly and only use the plan sheet for double checking anything I'm not sure of because the plan sheets are older. Probably the same ones that Mantua made before Panart  changed some of it.

But there are still loads of errors in both the plans and booklet :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Paul

Yes there are a lot of differences and mistakes on both the booklet and the plan. But like you a bit of lateral thinking soon sorts it all out :)

It's not the wedge I mean, but the thing under it, and I meant it's too thick:

Under the cannon, nice and thick.

post-6862-0-57458500-1460562594.jpg

Some time later they discovered the error and made a thinner one:

post-6862-0-47460200-1460562470_thumb.jpg

But the first cannon they built is still there, but without the wedge because it won't fit: :D

post-6862-0-88762700-1460562471_thumb.jpg

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Hi Mr Pucko

Yes you mean the part that has the 2mm x 5mm Strips glued on to it, so the wedge can move back and forth. I will try it out with 1mm x 5 mm strips before final assembly :)

Thanks for your input

One other thing i am going to look into changing is the Gun Port covers they are far too thick :o

Hi all, thanks for the likes and comments :)

Quick update

Outer and inner hull side planked

Now for lots of sanding before sorting out the gun port linings

post-11947-0-03259900-1460828946_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-98574500-1460828953_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

I didn't use either the book or the plan for the inner planking i just planked it the way i want it :)

As for the gun port lids they don't need test fitting as i am going to make my own, because the kit designed ones are ridiculously thick. If they made them that thick in real life it would probably take half the crew to open one with all the weight :D

All the gun port covers i have seen usually sit just inside the opening, these ones are more like a plug :D

I have more or less given up sticking to the plans as they are so far out. Example the plan says to make the height of the gun port opening 34mm but the supplied port covers are 30mm x 29mm :huh:

I have finished the inner and outer hull planking and i have ordered some various sizes of Walnut strip and i will line the gun ports to make them a more acceptable size and then make my own lids about 3mm or 4mm thick

The planking looks good!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I had a bit of spare time today so i decided to work on the mechanism for altering the gun trajectory.

As pointed out by Mr Pucko the plans call for it to be made using sizes that are to big and not allowing the gun to have a straight or upward trajectory

Main parts made as per instruction for test purposes on the gun

Piece of 6mm thick ply with 2 strips of 2mm x 5mm batons glued on

post-11947-0-52351100-1461353239_thumb.jpg

I dug into my plywood stash and cut 4 pieces of 1.5mm ply and glued them in pairs to make two bases then i glued 1mm x 5mm batons on to them

As you can see they are now half the thickness of the original ones

post-11947-0-10455300-1461353593_thumb.jpg

I then glued two small 1mm x 2mm batons on to the wedges. this allows the wedges to slide freely on the base and now i have a lot more up and down movement on the barrels

Next job is to add the handles to the wedges then fit them all on to the cannon bases

post-11947-0-99266800-1461353734_thumb.jpg

Cannons partially built to test the fit of the wedge with the reduced size base under the wedge.

Lots of room for trajectory adjustments now. This won't apply to mine as moving parts will be glued into place to stop bits falling off when completed build is moved, but i still want it to look like there is adjustment possible. :)

Note the hollow trunnions will be replaced with a solid bar when the cannons are ready to be finished

post-11947-0-71542500-1461422765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

The cannons are looking great! You're right, it's best not to have bits and pieces rolling around :D.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I have a similar problem with dog hair on my models as well. My German Shepard sheds horribly and some days I feel like I could carpet my ship with the amount of hair that gets on the work bench after he has come by for what he feels is his required hourly petting. ;)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Hourly, you're lucky, mine sits under my desk with his head on my knee :huh:  I don't mind really i just keep my air brush handy for blowing the hairs away :D

Edited by Cobr@

It's really looking good Bob, nice work