Battle Station by cobra1951 - FINISHED - Panart - 1:23 - Also known as Posto Di Combattimento

Those sacks do look great!

I have just accepted that gluing myself to things with CA glue is just a part of the process. It is a step located somewhere between sanding and installation. Hahaha!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Don thanks :)  Not far to go now. Still have some wooden bowls to make and hammocks that are suspended between the overhead beams and some Cannon tools and the cannon ball racks to fit to the decks then i can do the upper deck, but not too much to do on that as show in the box picture in post #1

Better late than never. I just picked up this kit, but it might be a while before I dive in. Lead on Bob.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Bob.

I like the sacks.

Very nice work. Nice details that sets the gundeck for realism.

Keep up the good work.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Better late than never. I just picked up this kit, but it might be a while before I dive in. Lead on Bob.

Hi Mike

Once you start it double check all measurement as the book and the plans give different ones for the same parts, and on some parts no measurements at all, the table and benches for example no measurements at all :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Nice work Bob. nearly there

The rest apart from the bowls ( which are the hardest due to size) is really easy.

I found that gluing the 4 edges of hammocks with PVA glue and then soaking them with a 50-50 pva solution stiffens them up nicely to work with.

The size for the hammocks as specified in the plans are correct in this instance.

Thanks Paul

Not having too much trouble with the tubs and bowls, mainly because i didn't use the Balsa as the main support pillar i changed to a more rigid wood made it a lot easier.

Thanks for the heads up on the hammock sizes. Don't want mine stiff i want them to hang naturally with a slight curve in them. Also i am going to fit them lower than recommended as the recommended place would have the poor sailor trying to sleep with the gun port lid rigging across his chest and a massive block smacking him in the head :D

And as this kit is only a representation and nowhere near accurate i have also altered the size and placement of the cannon ball racks, this allowed me to center the Bits with the gratings and fit regular sized planks not small filler ones as the instructions say

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Bob.

I like the sacks.

Very nice work. Nice details that sets the gundeck for realism.

Keep up the good work.

Regards Antony.

Thanks Antony

The sacks are one of the easier thing to make once you get your head around what the drawings are meant to be depicting :)

After looking at them for a while i didn't like the knots in the outer sacks so i removed and retied them, they look a lot better now :)

post-11947-0-27223900-1467467566_thumb.jpg

Made up some of the tools and the baskets. The parts in the instructions to make the 4th tool were not in either kit which makes me think the instructions are not correct again substituted some walnut dowel for one tool instead of cloth :huh:

post-11947-0-71837800-1467815900_thumb.jpg

Made the 4th tool from other parts and fitted all tools to the racks, and placed the baskets on the table to fill it a bit.

post-11947-0-74312600-1467816019_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-26978700-1467816034_thumb.jpg

Nice, very nice!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Makes me want to dust the box off and get started!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Great work! Those tools look fantastic. Bowls look great too. How hard were they to put together?

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Great work! Those tools look fantastic. Bowls look great too. How hard were they to put together?

Thanks EJ :)

They got harder as the sizes of the tubs, buckets and baskets decreased, until i substituted the Balsa main support in the middle for a more sturdy wood, then it was more repetitive than hard, but that's because i was making 2 sets of everything :D

I have just read your build and I am sure this kit will be on my wish list.

I watched some time ago already this kit in my Modelshop, but at that time I did not buy this, but reading your build triggered this again.

thanks for giving me the last hint to start with this kit also

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Hi Jan :)

It's a nice kit, pretty easy to build because of the large scale, you just need to sort out the differences between the plans and the instruction book because they contradict each other in places  :huh: 

Thanks Paul :)

Yep they do get a bit fiddly at that size so i reduced the size of the cord around them to 0.5mm which worked much better with the smaller bowls. Colour is just natural Tanganyika, didn't want any more Red Ochre  :huh:

Go for it, you can't have too many builds, it's impossible :P

many builds = many workbenches

I have one of those but not the other.

But seriously, my dad has been laid up for over a month now with no end in sight. I have considered taking a kit to his place and doing it with him. This might be a good candidate, especially because of the larger sized parts. Of course that means hauling my tools over there.  Has the build required any odd tools or supplies? Just the usual stuff - cutting, gluing sanding? Any need for power tools or soldering?

Hi Mike

A pretty straight forward build you don't need to use power tools if you don't want to. I did use a Dremel for drilling but it can be done just as well with a small pin vice if you want. :)

Thanks Bob - I think this one will do nicely.

I'll agree with all others about the kit being a nice one, but your workmanship is ultra fine. Very cool Bob

Not trying to steal your show Bob, but your fine work and great log have been enough of a push to get me started on this one.

Thanks.......