HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

Kevin thanks for the video on the clamps, I found it very useful.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Since modified the clamps to make them wider and shorter. The added length prevents them from spinning and the shorter depth allow me to draw lines above or below the clamp. It also just pulls the edge of the plank down against the frame instead of the whole plank. This is useful sometimes when you just want the edge pulled down

F22E06C2-99C6-41FB-AC36-EEBA4B79D9C2.jpeg

You can never have enough clamps.

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the wrong place before. These are a few of the tools and stuff i picked up while in New york. The  small square will be invaluable.  The automatic switch for the vacuum system is the most practical as i often don't switch it on  when i just need to make a quick sand or cut. Now i have no excuse.

DC1EB626-EB71-468A-9672-BED9C67BFC35.jpeg

9B9078DA-E001-48B0-AF0D-308CC0494A63.jpeg

0AEE5B0C-DF45-45C1-AF5C-B97B9127C441.jpeg

17B89877-BBBB-4F68-96EA-0263EA199549.jpeg

D66A14DE-FB3F-4820-8F37-1963C3C7EFE3.jpeg

I have had a lot of trouble with regard to the finished height of strake 15. After conversations with both Greg and David i have developed a chart with the finished heights off the plan.  Clearly i made a number of mistakes with the installation of the strakes (see Davids correction photograph. I am going to only correct the finished height of strake 15 and move on since i am closing all this inside.

F09454D6-BBD6-4476-9302-DBE2BF451755.jpeg

8884E41B-E909-4358-B02D-6E6F21EFE16D.jpeg

Well, as you're finding out, building a plank of frame model can be...frustrating!  But the only strake of significance is #15 where the deck beams seat. Your plan of correction is a good one. I promise you that you will never even see those other strakes after the lower deck is installed.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg

i am Just so annoyed to make such a basic mistake which in hindsight is so clearly illustrated in the books planking layout. What led me astray was the various photographs of different builds that show the end of strakes 1&2 in different locations. I am just going to stick to the book going forward. 

I have almost completed on the correction exercise after which i am  off to Germany Holland and England for a few weeks holiday. When i return i will be refreshed and ready to go again. 

I am in 5he process of recording my  error. I will make it private access in the first instance and would appreciated if you and David could look at it and comment. Since these videos may be used as a guide in future builds i need to show the errors and the corrections so that i do not mislead future modelers.

Best regards

kevin 

Nice job on those steps, Kevin. You may find it convenient to use  built up card patterns of the area in order to get the actual shape to transfer to the wooden blank. It's very simple and wastes no wood. I just use pieces of index card stock glued together progressively with white glue. You'll find this method particularly useful later on when determining bulkhead shapes as they meet the hull. In case you're wondering, the pencil lines are placed to help position them in the mill vice. Each line is parallel to the surface that needs to be cut and would line up with the top of the mill vice jaws.

282.jpg.b5723043092f4caa7e1823f0fff36757.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...