HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

Hi Tom the short answer is yes, i actually have 4 table saws, large Dewalt which i use to prepare bulk lumber, an old Proxxon which i use to bring stuff down to modeling size but not happy with the quality. A Preac which has all the accessories and one that i use every day and the Jim Byrnes, the best made saw in the world. I also have a Proxxon ban saw which i use daily but not happy with it but it is the perfect size. A large Dewalt cross cut saw and the Proxxon chop saw.  Do i need them all? No. But they sure make life easy. 

70510360-F9EC-4BE6-B89B-676DB25BD3A9.jpeg

74EE3CBB-5DD4-424F-81FA-8763F5C84D30.jpeg

120ADE0A-8CAB-41DF-9727-89E118709713.jpeg

CFDB03C1-C77B-40ED-9B6B-D6EF7CF5C254.jpeg

53CDD7F1-9317-4333-8190-8836B3722590.jpeg

9428BA81-3B5E-412A-BEBD-712B48A3095F.jpeg

FB0A7579-E5F0-4A54-B023-DEEAF799CBD3.jpeg

8BB0C798-9E0D-41E9-8C75-C38FA739B55D.jpeg

Ken you can get bits from you dental supply for the turbo carver. I got a gift from my dentist of about 50 bits that he was not using, the equivalent  of three dental visits in value. They were unused and in perfect condition. 

photo below shows the gratings cut out to be framed on the upper deck, Lots  of extras for later on. I am glad that i made so many, as you can find so many imperfections in the ones i made even though i was so careful. And the truth be told it takes very little extra time  to make more at the same time.

1729242E-FEAB-420E-9898-2049BB37E4F0.jpeg

For dental bits, look in Ebay.  Sometime ago a bought a box of them of various shapes and sizes for little money. Another good alternative is talk to your dentist.  Most will be happy give away their used ones.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kevin,

I only wish I had the space for all the wonderful equipment that you have (guys and their tools, oh my!). I use my sherline milling machine for gratings. It's equipped with DRO. Also, while you are careful with the direction of the grain, I turn the end grain vertical which helps eliminate breakage.

Tom

Hi Tom

i am very envious of your DRO mill. I have long thought about doing the upgrade but cant find a way to purchase it without my wife Susan seeing the purchase. Oh well one day. Most of the saws you see are in an outside shop. The inside shop is one of my kids bedrooms that took me years to takeover. 

21 hours ago, KentM said:

One can never have too many saws.  I have 2 Preacs, a Proxxon, a Byrnes, a Dremel and something that I bought when I was just starting.

I just recently finished watching all of your HMS Thorn videos over a 3-4 month period.  Totally delightful and very educational. I have almost finished the HMS Granada videos.  I did buy a Turbo Carver and managed to find a Vandalay Tree Nail Maker (not made any more). 

Keep up the great work.  I am learning a lot.

Kent

I have the small proxxon and the proxxon FET. I am unhappy with the latter for various reasons including the longitudinal stop moving when tightening the toggle screw (handle). Also, with the blade guard in place this stop cannot be less than 1cm from the blade. (working from the right as I do). In fact, using the smaller proxxon is much better for thinner strips eg 1.6X1.8mm.

I am seriously thing of ordering a Byrnes. I would very mush like to hear comments and advice.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

To be fair i just reviewed their latest video on you tube and the new Proxxon FET which is so much better than the one i have.  Yet it still pails in comparison to the Jim Byrnes.  What annoyed me about them is i wrote to them about upgrading my saw with their new fence ( mine is useless) and they told me it was not upgradable. Unlike my 20 years old Sherline which is totally upgradable. The only advantage it has is the ability to make angle cuts, a feature that i seldom use.So my opinion is if you can afford it buy the Byrnes, it is without question the best small table saw on the market today by far. 

5 hours ago, stuglo said:

I have the small proxxon and the proxxon FET. I am unhappy with the latter for various reasons including the longitudinal stop moving when tightening the toggle screw (handle). Also, with the blade guard in place this stop cannot be less than 1cm from the blade. (working from the right as I do). In fact, using the smaller proxxon is much better for thinner strips eg 1.6X1.8mm.

I am seriously thing of ordering a Byrnes. I would very mush like to hear comments and advice.

Look in the tools area.  A quick search will get you much information.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

These are my finial numbers.

1A386E62-477A-4A16-BDFA-A2BD266EF42C.jpeg

You're not a Doctor- I can read your writing 

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Good result Kevin. Persistence pays off!

When milling it is best to have small pieces like the bitts sitting on a base of the same diameter which extends to the bottom of the mill vice. This base serves as a positive stop so that each face can be rotated without worrying about aligning with the top jaw of the mill vice. In addition, when milling small pieces of wood the tightening of the vice will frequently squeeze the bottom of the vice slightly narrower that at the level of the top of the jaws. This can loosen the grip and cause milling errors. Below is a quick mock up of what I have described.

1514118962_IMG_40366209.thumb.jpg.f480452ed59cf0843be5d4e6daf5f8c1.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

those are good vise use practises I hope to remember!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thanks Greg. I actually thought about doing this but was so intent on understanding how to make the piece. Then once i got it down pat it just took a few minutes to actually machine the three pieces. In fact  sometimes i i found the vice tightened the front   before the back. Now that may have been the piece it self and i was careful not to over tighten it. Il. Make a nite in the comment section. I could not have done this without your early  advice. It make such a difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, Kevin Kenny said:

Never enough tools (toys) or lights. Never enough time to use  them.