HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

Today was a great day for the model shop. Our kitchen sink faucet fell apart and i was able to rebuild it on the lath. For the first time one of my model making tools provided a solution to our household and Ms Kenny was very happy. Not to often these opportunities come around. Its also the  first time the lath took pride of place on the new work bench. It seems very happy there.

B620B13C-A042-4081-A4A5-3BE0D0373B2C.jpeg

3F73FCD6-7673-4A51-86E0-884F3E03806B.jpeg

That's a triple win, Kevin.    Wife is happy, you got to use the lathe, and do it on the new bench.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

beautiful

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I knew you could do it Kevin! Few tips regarding your latest video:

1. Deflection is always a problem with small diameter parts.  You get much less deflection using wider stock. Just turn the amount you need to the final diameter but leave the tailstock portion wide.

2. Always use a center drill. Sherline makes some very small center drills that are perfect for sheaves (0, 00).

3. While parting small drilled items insert a wire into the end. This way they won't fly off and leave you cursing when you can't find them.

4. There are some very fine Vallrobe Swiss files that taper almost to a point. They are perfect for forming the concave part of the sheave and deadeyes freehand while the lathe is running.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Nice job on the waterway Kevin.

The purpose of the waterway was to provide a seal between the side and deck planking. Water seepage would lead to beam end and surrounding wood rot. So this timber had to be very robust and secure from moving. Hooked scarph joints are quite strong and would help prevent separation along the waterway. Some authors consider the waterway to be part of the side planking as opposed to deck planking.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi.

In one of your recent videos , you used a tilting table for the sherline mill. Do you happen to know if this can be adapted for use with the simple X-Y table that is part of my Proxxon M70. 

(I'd love a shireline but I still love my wife- difficult choice, but the shireline, while versatile, can't cook and kiss me goodnight)

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

4 hours ago, stuglo said:

Hi.

In one of your recent videos , you used a tilting table for the sherline mill. Do you happen to know if this can be adapted for use with the simple X-Y table that is part of my Proxxon M70. 

(I'd love a shireline but I still love my wife- difficult choice, but the shireline, while versatile, can't cook and kiss me goodnight)

Hi stuglo I also thought about doing this but the M70 is too small for this vice. In the end I sold my M70 and bought a Sherline. Maybe it’s time to learn to cook 😂

Thank, but I have just booked a holiday in Naples and I'm not suicidal.

36 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Tools get you through times of no love better than love gets you through times of no tools! :D 

It's tools???   I was told when young that it was "beer".    :default_wallbash:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice save!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)