HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

Nice save on that first piece, Kevin! However, if you had used PVA, rubbing alcohol would have made removal of the part easy. Was there a particular reason you decided to use epoxy?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Great video, Kevin. Two suggestions to improve my version. Replace those bolts with threaded knurled thumb screws and place brass washers where the bolts enter the jig as the constant tightening and loosening of the screws can deform the wood. It'll speed up the process considerably.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Great idea about the knurled screws but they will be almost impossible to find here in Trinidad. I do have washers on the screws. The wood is an extreamly hard wood which i threaded then put  CA so it should last a while. I am in New York next month and will try to find the screws. 

I love your videos,  I have been building early U S naval ships off and on for almost 50 years, but I always find something of interest in your work.  I have a question,  in one of your videos you were making thin dowels.  The tool you were using,  did you make it or did you buy it somewhere?  You are doing an excellent job on your ship.  I greatly enjoy watching your work.  Thank you for posting it. - Hal

I have decided to reduce the end at the stern on strake 7 to 5” instead of 10.5” so that i end below the top of stern keelson. I have noticed in one of the builds that the end was also reduced to two strakes treated similarly to the front of the stemson. Maybe i should have curved #6 more at the stern end!

752787FA-8A9F-4154-B09F-7E88EC29E2BE.jpeg

D46A6FDF-8005-4CE5-9A3B-94B809642065.jpeg

I have decided to reduce the end at the stern on strake 7 to 5” instead of 10.5” so that i end below the top of stern keelson. I have noticed in one of the builds that the end was also reduced to two strakes treated similarly to the front of the stemson. Maybe i should have curved #6 more at the stern end!

Very nice video, Kevin. If you flood the threaded hole to receive the bolt with super glue it hardens it and makes it less likely to be stripped after repeated use.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752