HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - Swan class 1:48 scale - David Antscherl practium

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

while reviewing your first tutorials, I understand your enthusiasm for an oscillating spindle sander. I will order one from overseas but the permutation of grit and spindle size are huge. What do you recommend for a "starter" as I will order them at the same time.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Hi Stuglo

not sure if that is your name.

i had to go and check what came with my sander. The grits would tend to be on the heavy side as the purpose is to grind the frames into shape. Looking back at the used rolls the smooth ones seem to clog up easily, so i would Recommend   80-180 for the majority with a few smoother ones to do the fine work. The majority of the sanding was done with the large 3”  roll but the smaller size was also very usefull.

A5777C26-53D8-4CD8-B436-8DA5D61B2668.jpeg

D57A7468-10DB-4497-A83B-9DE13CDDA8EF.jpeg

6 hours ago, stuglo said:

while reviewing your first tutorials, I understand your enthusiasm for an oscillating spindle sander. I will order one from overseas but the permutation of grit and spindle size are huge. What do you recommend for a "starter" as I will order them at the same time.

I have the same one as Kevin and it is very well made. But it is also a beast in that it is cast iron and very heavy. Shipping would cost a fortune.The selection of sleeves that comes with is is sufficient but a thinner diameter sleeve would also be great. Here's the one I'm replacing my Boss with: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jet-1-2-HP-5-5-in-Benchtop-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander-with-Spindle-Assortment-110-Volt-JBOS-5-708404/100375603?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower_PLA-71700000034127218-58700003933021540-92700053252310110&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhI2EppS26QIVI4VaBR2e-QdoEAQYBCABEgJCfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Stuglo is combination of mine and wife's 1st names (Stuart + Gloria). Thanks for info. Those in N. America are blessed with a plethora of choice and resource (deservedly so) .  I and others offshore must compromise- shipping, technical support and warranty etc. But I am guided by recommendations and try and find  a practical equivalent . So thank you Greg .

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, stuglo said:

Stuglo is combination of mine and wife's 1st names (Stuart + Gloria). Thanks for info. Those in N. America are blessed with a plethora of choice and resource (deservedly so) .  I and others offshore must compromise- shipping, technical support and warranty etc. But I am guided by recommendations and try and find  a practical equivalent . So thank you Greg .

well, received the oscillating spindle sander. Tried it out. As good as promised. Only complication was that delivery was promised for a wednesday afternoon. Lunchtime that day, I had a heart attack (my first) and had to go to hospital with my son, leaving my wife at home to receive the delivery before visiting me. I came home (relatively unscathered) a few days later , to unpack my new baby. Awaiting delivery of the Alert with a little trepidation. PS Tried to contact the NMM to order plans, but they are "corona-closed". Will start the build next week without the additional information.

That's good that you're relatively unscathed by the heart attack and you had a great package waiting for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Welcome back, Kevin! You have made excellent use of your time away from Thorn and I look forward to further progress and more great videos.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

16 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

Not really welcome back because as I consult your videos frequently, you have been continuously here.

Your a bit ahead of me in your build (at least a year) so don't disappear.

I would endorse whole heartedly the 3D renderings. Those of us ignorant in naval architecture need such a visual aid. 

It goes without saying, your work is superb

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be anxiously awaiting your caulking trial reports!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)