How to start with wooden model kits

Ray1981

Hi Forum members,

At the moment im making plastic period kits and enjoy it a lot. But I would realy like to make wooden kits I love period ships. But I dont have more expierence with wood as the little I did when I went to high school some 20 years ago. I dont have such fancy tools as i see passing by here on the forum. What would be needed to make a kit like in the link below?

http://www.shipwrightshop.com/shop/contents/en-uk/p14.html

Would i need a huge arsenal of specific tools and knowledge on wood working? It is marked as an serious starter kit.

I have all time because my current build is not even close to be finished but soon Ill be in the Netherlands and can order this easy and more cheap as in Brazil so I thought maybe to buy this kit. If it would be possible for me to make.

So maybe some people here have some advise to start with the wooden kits.

Thanks in advance

Grtz Ray

Hi Ray,

I have seen many great wooden ship models built with just simple hand tools. Some of the fancy tools make certain jobs easier but the hand tools do just fine. I mostly use hobby knives, razor saw, measuring tools and clamps. There are a few other tools that you can get as you go. One of the best tools is this forum. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

so a kit like i posted would be possible with some viles, rasps, wood glue, clamps, nails etc? How does a kit look like when you open the box. Parts are pre sawed (this looks to me like weird english sorry)? And paint could I use my Model Masters Acrylic paints without a problem?

Ray, add some single edge razor blades, a good pair of scissors an sand paper. Plus a great deal of patience.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Ray,

The major parts to build the frame of the ship will be cut out for you. You will need to final shape some of them. The hull planks will just be strips of wood that will need to be shaped and fitted. There will also be metal parts that may need a little cleaning up. You might be able to use your Model Master paints but many people seem to be using Artist Acrylics in the tube these days. I have not tried them yet but plan to on my current build.

Al

Current Builds:

Ray it all comes flat, everything should be marked as well as a list of parts and tools needed for the job. Just a thought you may want to start with a less complicated model. The lesser amount rigging involved on a simpler model would be a good introduction and might make the build more enjoyable as well as a satisfactory finished model. Start simple and work your way up... just my 2cents.
Razor blades for cutting the planking... your beard looks fine (ha)

Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

Thanks guys, so maybe I should search fore a more easy one although I like the rigging work on my previous model but Ill keep that in mind. Suggestions for a nice kit from the period time are welcome.

And Mark is right yes this forum is our biggest tool.

i wasnt planning to cut my beard either lol

Ray,

The ship you like would not be impossible but it would be very difficult and frustrating. I would start with something with one mast and a simple rig. Also keep in mind that planking the hull well takes practice. You may not want to invest that much money on a kit to learn on.

Al

Current Builds:

Ray,

Do  not be fooled by a label that says a kit is for 'beginners' - that is meant to create sales, not to ensure that you get a good start in the hobby. I believe it is always good advice to start with a simple wooden kit. Wood is different than working in plastic, and a simple kit will get you started well, teach you basic skills, save you money, spare you frustration, not take years to complete, and give you the satisfaction of getting a first wood model finished. HMS Snake is not an easy kit - lots of guns, lots of rigging, lots of repetitive tasks. Save it for a second or third model.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Ray, Many people start with the Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop. I have that kit and don't feel I'm ready to start it. I am working on the Model Shipways Glad Tidings as a second build it it has it's challenges but is not difficult with some help from the forum.

Al

Current Builds:

I downloaded the instructions on the Glad Tidings although this boat is a little less appealing I think I really would enjoying building this kit. And I would learn a lot and it seems complicated enough to me. I can imagine now how overwhelmed I woul be if I purchase the kit I mentioned. So Ithink the Glad Tidings is a good suggestion to start and see how far I come.

Thanks for the advises it is much appreciated!!!

My pleasure Ray. It's not of the period you like but it's a really nice kit. My goal is to eventually build a scratch built plank on frame frigate. That's a long way away for me.

Al

Current Builds:

Glad Tidings is a nice choice.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Ray,

Take some time and go here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-modeling-articles-and-downloads.php

The Plans and Research area has a couple of good articles on what to expect in a kit and also choosing a kit.

The Materials and Tools area has some good articles on tools when you're starting including one article on tools not to bother with.

I hope this helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

In terms of tools you can get away with the basics (knife, files, glues, drills, sand paper etc). But one thing that will really make things easier, and isn't too expensive is a rotary tool like a Dremel. Ozito make them in Australia for 30$ with all the drills, drums, and other bits you'd ever need. Best value for money for any tool in ship building IMHO.

Just echo last post. Take it easy and with patience, and think about next 3 steps forward with question - HOW?

Answer about tools you need will come!

Some tools you can easy make by yourself (needle in BBQ strip, file made with sandpaper glued to 2x2 mm strip...)

Almost every tool except power tools you can bye or you can made. And almost any stage of build you can do it on easy or on a hard way. Your decission and choice. Ship model build is not Lego! Many parts can be/must be fitted/remaked for many reasons ( bad material, you do not like how it looks, you broke something, wrong cut on wrong place, you lost part or piece...)

And make tests to learn how material reacts, and to see can you do it better? Learning curve wil rise

And ... Even the easiest kit you can complicate with details and micro works if you want and like. As the time pass by, your apetite can grow! That happened to me :)

Good luck, anyway you decide

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic