Robert Wiltsie a Hudson River Sloop by NJQUACK - 1:87 - Finished

Almost there Walter, and looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Lovely sail work.   But sea trials?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm looking forward to the sea trials :D! Nice work!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Bensid54, thank you.

Mark, thank you.  Since this sloop floats, I will be sailing it between some sandbar on Raritan Bay during low tide on a calm day for it's sea trials.

Elijah, thank you.  Pictures to follow.

And thanks everyone for all the likes.

Walter

Thanks for that Walter.  I think I missed that in the log somewhere about it being sailed.  My brain must be overloaded.. or just going to mush.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi,

Today was sea trial number 1 and it was quite an adventure.   

Everything was looking good for getting out for the low tide turn 

but I decided to test it one more time in the sink.  

That’s when I found out the sails and mast had really changed the balance.  

That led to loading up the hull with fishing sinkers for ballast.

By time I made it out I missed the tide, it had come in too much and the sandbars were gone 

and the wind had gotten much stronger.  Not letting common sense get in the way and wait for a better day 

I headed off to one of the local tidal creeks, Whale Creek.

Got a little floating in until I managed to tip and sink.  

Now I’ll get the ballast set up better, 

and weather and time permitting it’s off to the bay for a video and pictures.

Walter 

post-19770-0-76836700-1464726171_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-61355500-1464726197_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-37067600-1464726219_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-88651700-1464726239_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-64442200-1464726262_thumb.jpg

She looks like she belongs on the water, Walter.    Will you use a keel ballast that's removable or just put it inside?   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you everyone for all the likes.

Mark ,I'm  going to trying to keep the ballast inside.  I've experimented with two magnets clipped to the center board and that seemed promising.  If the inside doesn't work out, I'll try to work something out with magnets which are easily removable for display..

Bensid54, No it's not RC.  Early on I considered making it RC but at this point I'm still learning about balancing and just getting it to sail.  Also Me, RC, and water don't mix.  This was borne out a few weeks ago when I lost control of a quad, which took of towards Staten Island.  Some how I got it back to my side of the bay and dumped it inverted literally at the waters edge;

Walter 

Bensid54,  As well as floating between sandbars on the bay I also want to float around Marquis Creek.  Marquis Creek is like a pond. It empties into the bay and only on flood tides gets a shot of salt water.

I enjoy following your projects.  Have you considered going FPV?  Imagine piloting the Bireme through the eyes of the captain or seeing what the boatman sees.

I sometimes wonder what I could do with a micro rc helicopter receiver (the one's with the 3 axis gyros) in a boat or ship. What could it do with an unstable vessel.

I really like your innovative projects,

Walter 

Thanks Walter as a matter of fact I do have an FPV setup that will be going into Charon the Ferryman of the river Styx. I could set up FPV on the Bireme, maybe down the road I could make a removable setup for my boats. The Quad was the reason I got FPV to begin with and that has been a lot of fun.