Willie L. Bennett Skipjack by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:32 Scale

Thanks Carl. Maybe it is good they are not visible - they are installed on a bit of an angle - not aligned perpendicular to both sides. ;)  At least we can "bury" our mistakes :D

WOW, Jack, cutting it close on your deck. Overall, it looks good. :dancetl6:

Bury, cover, hide - we all make little oopsies, so we have to obscure them. Can't have them sticking out like a sore thumb, eh Jack? Or we'd be forever remodeling them.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

nice looking build thus far Jack  ;)     you have enough....but even though it'a a plank on frame deck,  the structures could have been mapped out and left open.   leaving enough of a lip in the opening to cement the structures to.  you'll need to insure that the structures are mated well to the deck.   I kinda chuckled with how cluttered your instructions are........with Billing's,  there's not enough there to be cluttered  :D  :D

I've been watching Gerty's build too.........I may have to get me one of these beauties!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Lawrence, Popeye thanks for the compliments and for looking in and all the LIKEs .

A small update.

I'm still foraging around in these blueprints for the dimensions and layouts of the various deck structures/components. But progress is slowly being made. I gave the entire hull a coating of Gesso to seal the wood followed before painting the upper parts Titanium White and the below waterline area Vallejo brand Hull Red. I still need to tidy up and straighten the waterline a bit. I stained the deck itself MinWax Colonial Pine. The roof of the deck structure is painted Vallejo brand Green <there's too many red Skipjackets so I decided to at some diversity>.   The open area in the deck will be planked over once I figure out where all the deck structures are placed and what can be hidden by structures. The kit kinda shorted me on planking stock.

Photos follow

post-13502-0-26077100-1461594316_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-94872400-1461594317_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-32210900-1461594319_thumb.jpgpost-13502-0-35518000-1461594313_thumb.jpg

In spite of the problems with the plans and the wood supply, you're doing a beautiful job, Jack.  Looking super good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

it is as it is with everything else.......you may order the timber to build the house,  but you'll always find yourself at the yard buying more  ;)   your choice of color is super.......images you may find will show them with many different schemes.   I do it a lot myself.......jumping around building the sub-assemblies...in the end,  it will all come together.   when that happens,  you'll feel good.......you'll see how much progress you've made ;)  {in a very short amount of time}.

your doing a fine job!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Mark, George, Popeye, thanks for the words of encouragement. And also all those who clicked on the LIKE button.

Popeye, yes the wood shortage is fixable - I still have short piece of the deck material I can use to cover the open area where it will not be covered by a deck structure. I'm also using the several excellent Skipjack builds here on MSW as a reference, especially GERTY's. I have photos I took several years back when I took my granddaughter to the Chesapeak Mariners Musuem in St Michaels MD. Of course, I have to figure out which "CLOUD" they got stashed in. ;)  I figured since most people are doing the model in the color scheme shown on the box art, I would depart from that and do my own thing as they say. :D 

Hi Jack - The Hull and Deck look great !   Nice job !     

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Jack:

Great work on the deck and the hull. These work boats make great looking scale models. Yours is coming along well.

Russ

Russ, Gerty, thanks for the compliments

Gerty - I've been making heavy use of your excellent build log and photos in trying to figure out how these deck structures look and what size they are. Have had a couple of oops re-dos already. Had to substitute 1/32 baltic birch plywood to make a couple of the roofs - their stock was not wide enough. The engine cover has been giving me the most trouble - can't see all sides of it - your photos have helped me a lot tho.

Small Update: Completed the deck structures, put one coat of WOP on the deck; decided to paint the wale the same as the roofs rather than try a pin stripe along the side. Didn't care for the way the stain came out on the hatch covers so I took left over strips of walnut veneer from one of my Artesania Latina kits and used it to plank over the hatch cover material. Then gave it a single coat of WOP. The paint is Vallejo brand Hull Red for the bottom, and Flat Green for the roofs and wale. The white is Americana Deco-Art brand Titainium White and the deck is Min-Wax Ipswich Pine with one coat of Satin WOP.

Man close-ups really reveal more then the naked eye - I see a couple of structures need a little touch up on the green paint. ;) The quality control inspectors must have been out late that night :P :angry:

If you're wondering what the green band holding the boat to the cradle is, it is the cloth velcro strapping material you use to tie up garden plants without damaging the plant. Works well for holding the boat down. Copied the stand from one of the other Willie Bennett build logs. Works nice - also allows me to clamp the cradle/stand to the work-top.

Photos follow:

post-13502-0-60992600-1462651110.jpgpost-13502-0-12736200-1462651111.jpgpost-13502-0-11971300-1462651112.jpgpost-13502-0-56720000-1462651112.jpgpost-13502-0-61226100-1462651113.jpgpost-13502-0-26127500-1462651114.jpgpost-13502-0-78099600-1462651114.jpgpost-13502-0-26076300-1462651109.jpg

Looking good, Jack.  Nothing wrong that a little touch up won't fix.  The hatch covers came out well and the contrast in wood to the deck makes things pop.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice paint job. I especially like the red on the bottom of the hull. That darker shade is actually quite realistic.

Russ

Jack, coming along nicely. The deck looks great. :)

And yeah, a few touch ups, but we all do them. Darn crisp, clean closeup photos. :( I've been working on some Z scale (1/220) :o  structures for a diorama at my club and my brush work is the pits, in places. Good thing they're going into a dimly lit space. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

This is a photograph of a Biloxi catboat that was recently refinished. Check out the bottom color. This is not meant to take away from or hi jack your build log.

Russ

post-164-0-72990900-1462666441_thumb.jpg

Question for Gerty, and anyone else building this kit, on the cap rails. The parts list says they are 1/16 x 3/32 lumber  (WP3619-24 - 29 pieces) which is also used for the deck planks but the kit provides only 29 pieces and the deck planking used up all of the parts. What did you use for the cap rails ? The kit supplied part or did you substitute something else.

Jack,

She's looking good ... any minor imperfections you can handle, I'm sure ... that bottom colour looks good to me, and when I saw Russ' his real life example ... no doubt you picked the right one ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

the Maine Lobster boat has rails on the roof of the helm.........I used some 1.8 x 3 mm and glued on some same size square stock pieces,  equally in segments.   then I sanded and rounded all the edges........makes for some really nice rails.  check out my 'Lobsie twin build'.  check these out:

https://gundalowdrydock.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/midwest-maine-lobster-boat-part23-2/

https://gundalowdrydock.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/midwest-maine-lobster-boat-part-25/

depending on what you need,  or how long you need them,  this same method can be used.........I believe this is shown in the plans.   looking very good so far.   never be apologetic about touch ups........they are a way of life.......alllllllllllll the way to the end of the build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Jack,

It was great to see you in New London!

Willie's looking great as well. I must say that every time I see those plans, it makes me scratch my head. Was the some kind of paper shortage when they were drawn?

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

John, good to see you also. And yes these plans are a little disorienting at times - usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to find what I need on them ;) I think they were having a "who can stack the most objects on the head of a pin" contest when they drew up these plans.

Popeye, comment wasn't meant to be apologetic - more a flippant lame joke. But thanks for the comments and links

Carl, thanks

Hi Jack - Your Willie L Bennett is looking great - nice work !

I did use 1/16 x 3/32 " strips for the cap rails.  Sorry, just seeing your message - you may have it completed by now  :)

Hope to have an update on mine soon.

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Thanks, Gerty. No it  is not completed yet - ran out of wood and had to re-order some from Model Expo - the resupply is in transit according to USPS. "m working on other parts till I get resupplied.

Small Update:

Finished the assembly and painting of the winder, painted the two barrels. Working on the wheel house while I wait for the re-supply from Model Expo which was supposed to arrive today according to the US Postal Service tracking site but the site hasn't been updated since May 10th when it shown the package had arrived at the "Origin Facility" in Opa Locka Fla at 1:53 AM. So I wait and fiddle.

Pictures follow:

post-13502-0-34774100-1463186363.jpgpost-13502-0-84452900-1463186363.jpgpost-13502-0-28453600-1463186364.jpgpost-13502-0-74286300-1463186362.jpg

Looking good, Jack.  Does the winch actually worK?  Looks like it might.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: