Tools and Supplies for My "Shipyard"

Julie,

The one thing that sort of jumped out at me is that you have no chisels listed.  GOOD quality chisels from about 1/8" wide to upwards of 1/2" wide and   good quality sharpening and honing pieces are indispensable at times.  Not so much for the planking, but for many other things. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The scalpel handle Toni illustrates is perfect: since she kindly gave me one a few years ago, I've never used the regular flat stye handle since.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Julie,

The one thing that sort of jumped out at me is that you have no chisels listed.  GOOD quality chisels from about 1/8" wide to upwards of 1/2" wide and   good quality sharpening and honing pieces are indispensable at times.  Not so much for the planking, but for many other things. 

Allan

Allan, yes, I missed the chisels.  I have two full sets.  But I didn't use them much at all for the 1st planking.  When I did, I used the 1/8" chisel to clean out any glue squeeze out I missed in initial clean up but that's about it.  I'm sure they will come in handy as I move along but so far I really haven't reached for them much.

When Christmas rolls around I'm going to drop a few hints in hopes Santa leaves me one of these:

EbonyMiniPlanes.gif

For those who enjoy using planes, this looks to be a nice addition to the modeler's tool inventory.

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

To Philly777     What's  plegaliston?  What's your name?  

I quit use tools for plank bending and never looked back.  Once the plank is cut to shape (spiled) it is soaked for a while in my "fancy" soaking device (piece of 1" plastic pipe with a cap on one end) then   bent to shape and heated over a hot rod (soldering iron) or with a hair dryer (if she is out of the house) while being held in the bent position until dry.    If you are using strips from a kit, you can still do the same thing for bending but will have to edge set each plank.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Could you post a link for the planes Please. Would like to check them out myself. Everyday is Christmas for me LOL

Here you go, Joe!  Merry Christmas!

Mujingfang 14-piece Miniature Ebony Japanese Plane Set

If you get them, let me know how you like them.

Julie

Edited by Julie Mo

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I LOVE Japan woodworker! Some unique stuff. If you are ever in Oakland you gotta make the stop. Plan on spending 2-3 hours, longer if you like to talk. I was only there once when my Better Half and i were visiting her sister one year. The people there were great, both the employee and the customers. Not just wood working tools either, kitchen knifes, sushi knives, gardening tools. They are what Home Depot and Lows want to be.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Allan, yes, I missed the chisels.  I have two full sets.  But I didn't use them much at all for the 1st planking.  When I did, I used the 1/8" chisel to clean out any glue squeeze out I missed in initial clean up but that's about it.  I'm sure they will come in handy as I move along but so far I really haven't reached for them much.

When Christmas rolls around I'm going to drop a few hints in hopes Santa leaves me one of these:

EbonyMiniPlanes.gif

For those who enjoy using planes, this looks to be a nice addition to the modeler's tool inventory.

I have a special (scary number) birthday coming up in a couple of months. I'm hoping to get some tools but $300 on just planes is too much (I want some chisels, files, and books as well :) ). However they do this smoothing plane for $34.

post-12980-0-25822700-1472436910.jpg

This is now on my list.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Tools needed is a subject which comes back periodically but always in a new thread and often with similar inputs in the:

Modeling tools and Workshop Equipment section

There is a subject that I have never seen in this category which is saving tool files in the computer:

I expanded the tool section in 3 main directory: Metal

Wood

Model ship

with few secondary files that suits my needs like by example  workshop.

Here are few examples of files for metal; lathe, milling, micro drilling, grinding etc.

For the wood section,  mainly some particular tool pictures.

For the Model ship tools, tools dedicated to this hobby or some particular tools that i would like to have or fabricate like a balanced wood handle for a jeweler's  hammer.

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Hi,

For storing information in electronic form I have found Microsoft Onenote to be invaluable (have been busily adding in notes from this thread as I speak). This is an open format note taking app that can be synced to a cloud drive which will seamlessly synchronise to all devices, computer, iPad, phone etc.

I have used this extensively for renovations, car mods, camper van mods, all kinds of things. You can store links, sketches, images, checklists, all the things you need on a project. When I was making my workbench I would sketch the next piece in the design, scan it in to the notebook, sync my iPad and take it to the workshop with the new plans installed and ready to go. I find the checklist function great for longer term projects where you may be absent for a while and can get a feel for where you were at when you finally get back to it. Would be great for build logs as well as you can snap a photo, add some comments and then transfer to desktop later for uploading to the forum.

There are other similar solutions out there but this one works for me.

Cheers,

Greg

To Philly777     What's  plegaliston?  What's your name?  

I quit use tools for plank bending and never looked back.  Once the plank is cut to shape (spiled) it is soaked for a while in my "fancy" soaking device (piece of 1" plastic pipe with a cap on one end) then   bent to shape and heated over a hot rod (soldering iron) or with a hair dryer (if she is out of the house) while being held in the bent position until dry.    If you are using strips from a kit, you can still do the same thing for bending but will have to edge set each plank.

Allan

Thank you Allan! I found this plagliston name on occre website within tools video. Phil

Toni,

Somewhere in our forum there is a topic regarding "Bondo" with the recommendation to stay away from it.

Elmer's Wood putty do work.

I have not done the search about Bondo on this web site, but there is a good description about its use elsewhere ;

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?95312-Big-Bad-Bondo

I used it on my Conny prior to painting the hull black. It went on well, sanded just perfect and gave me a good finial finish. The paint is still there and holding well . . .

But to be sure, I have not used it on tiny pieces, instead I use other compounds . . . .

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hello Les here. I agree with Dave. I use a lighted headband but I still use a lighted source for additional lighting. When you get old you can't get enough light. Sounds like you have enough tools to do the job. I have suffered from tool envy and have over bought on occasion. A good quality bench vise and miter box to clamp into it has been indespensable. You'll soon find out what will be your best equipment. Don't scrimp on quality. Good tools will last a lifetime.