Shinobi Maru by Keith Simmons - an alternative hollow hull

Hi all, considering that I do fantasy ships , I have been experimenting with ways to make a hollow hull without using the usual method of a frame and planking. I found a couple of old pallet skids in my garage that turned out to be Red Oak .This hull was built using my table saw and chop saw. I dressed out the oak to 1 1/2" W x 5/8" thick on my table saw and began cutting angles .
     First, I eyeball the bow angle and cut them with a handsaw, this is where I decide the width of my hull, then I start cutting angles on the chop saw. Once I have the basic deck layout I run the "planks" through the table saw at 15 and 22.5 degrees and then rabbet them to accept the vertical decking.Then it is just a matter of build up the hull. For this hull I used only 2 dominate angles 35 and 22.5 degrees, in theory i should be able to place any angle anywhere along the hull do create the desired shape.

post-24231-0-79748700-1459234817_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-40602500-1459234990_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-07776400-1459235080.jpg

post-24231-0-57729100-1459235608_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-77387100-1459235643.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

By stacking my "planks" from 15 degrees to 22.5 degrees I start to create the hull shape. Once I get close enough to determine my keel width, I block  off the bottom to accept the rabbeted keel block. At this point it is just a matter of sanding for shape. As I said before, I believe you can create any shape using this method just by placement of angles along the hull. Add a keel, clamp in vise and you are ready to start building sterncastle and the rest of the ship. We will see how this one turns out...Thanks for the look, hope this was helpful to those that might want an easier and faster way to make a hull.

post-24231-0-90497800-1459236504_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-84870500-1459236530_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-28724500-1459236550_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-60287500-1459236576_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi Keith

Nice start. The method you're using is similar in many respects to a 'bread and butter" method, which is quite popular for modellers.

Regardless of that, the first picture shows that the hull's going to look pretty darn good, with a nice profile to it. It's a bit like a butterfly waiting to emerge from its cocoon.

All the best

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Keith

Nice start. The method you're using is similar in many respects to a 'bread and butter" method, which is quite popular for modellers.

Regardless of that, the first picture shows that the hull's going to look pretty darn good, with a nice profile to it. It's a bit like a butterfly waiting to emerge from its cocoon.

All the best

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I had seen the bread and butter method but was looking for a way which used a lot less wood and would be much closer to the finished hull. Minimal sanding is my goal..lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Finally came up with an idea for this ships theme. It can be a problem to name the ship before completely figuring out what you are doing...lol

post-24231-0-47149000-1459496964_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-92506300-1459496978_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Nice start! No hull planking required ;).

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)