HMS Warrior 1860 by Philg88 - Billing Boats - 1:100 - First British Ironclad with scratch built side heads per prototype

17 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

is there to be any type of fastenings done to those brackets?   I'm imagining the dead eyes are attached to them. ;) 

Aye Aye! There is a deadeye pair attached to the top of each one, which then connects to the shrouds. On the real ship the connection was hidden in the middle of the double handrail. I thought about doing that but there is only about 3mm to work in so with a 1mm gap either side its nigh on impossible.

Neat jig Phil; looking good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Chainplates and handrails now all fitted so its onto the deck. I ended up making the rifle proof conning tower out of plasticard, as I defy anyone to bend the 2mm plywood provided to the required shape without it delaminating, splitting or warping. It was then lined with 0.8x3mm stripwood.

s20170525_100252.thumb.jpg.f8cbab74b0101592378e440cdda4bee1.jpg

Conning tower, compasses and main vent dry fitted to the deck

s20170531_084148.thumb.jpg.3b9a4092484a132b325ee09d08491103.jpgs20170531_084159.thumb.jpg.0731be970c2d54090d95d8d7c5d64ca2.jpg

Now fabricating the deck stairs and capstan.

s20170531_110203.thumb.jpg.09e8e2959b43a97b19d545e98efe0551.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've missed this topic. The Warrior is really looking good. And if you want to get some information on some obscure detail, Wiltshire's not that far from Portsmouth (he says, as an Australian where a trip of 878 km between Melbourne and Sydney is all in a day's driving).

By the way if you want to continue the Portsmouth collection without having to build the Mary Rose (as dicussed earlier), there's always https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_M33

Steven

3 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

I've missed this topic. The Warrior is really looking good. And if you want to get some information on some obscure detail, Wiltshire's not that far from Portsmouth (he says, as an Australian where a trip of 878 km between Melbourne and Sydney is all in a day's driving).

By the way if you want to continue the Portsmouth collection without having to build the Mary Rose (as dicussed earlier), there's always https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_M33

Steven

Thanks Steven,

M33 may well be the pigeon. Once the Warrior is finished we shall see.

Best,

Philip

Nice progress Phil, some nice detail you are adding

cheers

Pat

• 1 month later...

Forward bridge complete and fitted. This is a time consuming and fiddly job to say the least! The decoration that runs around the bridge edge is made by twisting three strands of 1 mm brass wire together then hammering them flat on an anvil block. The handrail is 2 mm brass wire hammered flat.  These were then bent into shape using a forming template. Billing's instruction for the edge decoration was to use rigging thread - yuk!

s20170728_101058.thumb.jpg.6bfd4b294ef34f2fba6aabecbfd45116.jpg

s20170721_100823.thumb.jpg.20a6a321c3ad0bee4015b26d145e81a3.jpg

s20170727_104018.thumb.jpg.fd0bee03d154634e0f059805cdb1690d.jpg

s20170727_104034.thumb.jpg.0824f1dc5038af955437dacc0a10daa3.jpg

• 9 months later...

HMS Warrior: Am just finding out (I am a Cypriot) that her sister ship (were two identicsl ships,  both  build and lunched as ironclad class ships between 1859-1861) HMS Black Prince, with his captain, then the Duke of Edinburg, was one of the ships that came to Cyprus, when back in 1878, the British Empire was to take over Cyprus from the Ottoman Empire. It was a squad of 7 or 8 ships coming from Suda bay (Crete Greece) under Vice Admiral Lord John Hay and his flagship HMS Minotaur.*

Not as HMS Warrior,  Black Prince was twice renamed after 1901 and finaly sold as scrap in1923.**

* Sir G.Hill’s book: “A History of Cyprus” Vol III. Cambridge 1952

**other sources

Edited by MESSIS

• 9 months later...

Glacial or not, you have still achieved some significant progress and it is looking very good.

cheers

Pat

• 1 month later...

wow!  some really nice progress since I last looked in :)    she looks awesome!   this one is on my list.........once I can afford her ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Phil, Just found your build. I have always been a fan of Warrior ever since I  first visited her about 20 years or so ago. I have visited many times since. I will be pleased to follow as you complete your build.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

the one thing I see is that the dead eye attached to the top,  isn't captured on both sides.  when the shroud line is rigged,  it may pull to one side and might offset the looks of the assembly.  running the fotock line though the hole,  capturing the dead eye,  and running it back though the same hole,  would do the job better I think.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

did this build continue?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

did this build continue?

Not that I can see, Kevin.  His last visit to MSW was shortly after his last post.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 years later...

Visited the Warrior in Portsmouth about a couple of years before covid hit.    What an impressive ship!   Also William Mowll's fantastic model in the reception area.

This model that Phil is building will be a cracking good model from what I have seen of it so far.  Looks enormous!

Might be on the cards as a build sometime in the future if only I could find a kit in 200th scale! I have heard of another company named Constructo making a kit of Warrior to check out the scale of.

The only other Warrior kit I have heard of is a small resin waterline kit.

The CSS Alabama also appeals but the Bluejacket one is 1/96th scale, so again an enormous model! I think that the Mamoli 1/120th scale one is not much smaller either.

Looking at Andrew Bowcock's 1/192nd scale drawings in his book seems a nice size to make a model in. Not too big and not too small so that it can be fully detailed.

Edited by NoelSmith