Cape Cod Catboat by Seventynet - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcraffters - Scale: 3/4 '' = 1 '

Hi Ian, I just read your last post and I truly hope your enthusiasm does not falter too far. I am really looking forward to seeing this little beauty completed and also the Victory.

You are only about 7 hours away, so if things don't shape up I'll be down to shake things up :)  ;)  

shipyard work which for some reason is diminishing the closer I get to finishing this boat.

Ian, I completely understand your sentiments I think that we all go through this feeling here and there. Checking out the last few pictures of the boat, my what a wonderful job with the different colours and the finishing of them really shows off your skills.

It really looks super.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Don and Michael, my attitude has been adjusted :rolleyes:.​ I am taking an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to attach the pintel, gudgeon, rudder and tiller assembly. I can see I'm going to have to use CA to attach the white metal fittings to the transom - at least I hope that works. I've drilled holes to receive brass pins in the various pieces but figure those are really only decorative and won't be doing the real work as attachment points.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

With all this talk about first time quitters and idle logs I was getting a little jittery and I felt that I should post a picture to show that I am still at it and in fact almost finished this little baby. Lots of little things still left to do...

post-19382-0-75389700-1466890533_thumb.jpg

Best, Ian

Thanks Bob, Don and Russ. As if there aren't enough challenges in this hobby, I see now that I should have fitted the display cradle before I stepped the mast.

Hi folks,

I'm going to call this, my first model, done even though I have a few minor things to fix (anchor chain, properly affix tiller, add prop, paint rudder and figure out display stand and case). I really enjoyed this build. Thanks for stopping by and following this project.

post-19382-0-86771000-1466972375_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-65685200-1466972377_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-08470400-1466972379_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-71089400-1466972380_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-32591300-1466972382_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-22123200-1466972384_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-87122800-1466972385_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-99960300-1466972387_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-30659900-1466972389_thumb.jpg

Ok, this time it's done! Any and all comments and criticisms welcome.

Thanks, Ian

I can see that the traveller attachment points could have been better. Only the camera revealed this.

post-19382-0-62717800-1467230805_thumb.jpg

I made the rudder by laminating walnut planks.

post-19382-0-92697100-1467230802_thumb.jpg

The Danforth anchor, chain and chain pipe were slightly blackened and glued on to a three point cradle.

post-19382-0-02065200-1467230794_thumb.jpg

I fashioned some line coil hooks out of brass nails but had a really hard time of the whole thing. A skill area I need to improve.

post-19382-0-29671000-1467230797_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-76449600-1467230798_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-21877300-1467230800_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-61258500-1467230801_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-23869500-1467230804_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to mention that I made the base out of a piece of Wenge wood. I could not decide what else to do with it as it does not look like a good wood to plank with.

Edited by Seventynet

That's a beautiful boat you have there.

The only things I saw that deserve any constructive criticism at all are pretty marginal.  The nail/hooks that you already said you need to improve on, and the rope coils themselves.  They don't really lay very naturally, which, depending on what sort of line you are working with might not even be possible.  With Chuck's rope you can get them to lay pretty natural by a thorough soaking in white glue/water mix, but line like the stuff from Model Shipways is impossible to get to look natural in coils at scale (at least for me).

Everything else (those two items are minor at best) that I can see is simply stunning, and I'd proudly display that if it was my work.  Bravo.

Brian, thanks so much for the advice. Quite apart from my obvious inexperience, I am quite certain that this line was close to impossible to lay naturally. I did in fact soak it in a white glue solution and wrapped it around an object, with only marginal success. I have some of Chuck's thicker line but it won't fit. Maybe I'll redo the rigging at a later date with some nice Syren stuff. Sounds like a good excuse for another order. And those hooks are pretty bad. Maybe in the re-rigging endeavour. But now it's back to the Vic.

Edited by Seventynet

Excellent work. Everything looks very clean. The sprung decking is well executed. Congrats on a great model.

Russ

Thank you very much for following along Don and Russ, your encoragement throughout this build had been comforting. I have to say I feel really good about finishing my first model. It`s almost as though the pressure is off. I started back on the Victory this morning with renewed enthusiasm.

Best, Ian

Very Nice.

Your wood combination is very pleasing to the eye.

I am going to copy your color for my mast, boom and gaff. I like what you did with your blocks.

Now that I see the bright white color of the rigging, I am going to change that. I am going to see what my sister has on her real boat and then check my stash and see what I can come up with.

I will add the sails. For the Catboat I will have my neighbor do all the stitching on the sails. She did them for the HMS Bounty, & Yacht Mary as well.

I have been looking a lot at your built and have learned some things.

THANKS.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you very much Marcus. I would not have even known about this kit without seeing yours, so I am very greatful to you. I found the line supplied with the kit to be very difficult to work with notwithstanding this being the first time I have done any rigging. Soaking it in a 50% PVA mix did not work well for me. I will re-rig the model when I get some new line. A proper set of sails will look beautiful on your boat.

Best Regards, Ian

• 6 months later...

Ian;

Presently rigging my cat and I do have a question as I do not understand the description in the plan.

Looking at the plan towards the top of the mast there are 3 dots below each other and the description on the plan says, "Topping lift fairlead left side of the mast".

I understand that the rope is from the end of the boom and goes up to the mast.

What I do not understand is how the rope is attached to the mast.

Is it through a hole in the mast?

Do you make some kind of eyelet?

I cannot make it out from your pictures (post 67, 72, 76).

Thank you in advance.

Marcus

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi Marcus,

I'm sorry I'm not near the boat to examine it but I was able to dig up some pictures on my iPad. I attached a fairlead to the mast. I think I made it from scrap but I can't remember for sure.

post-19382-0-38982300-1484592932_thumb.jpg

Ian;

I just magnified your picture and I see how you did this.

Thanks

This isn't to say that a fairlead in that position isn't a bit odd given the angle of the line, but that's what I seem to remember them calling for. A block on an eye would be more appropriate if you had one lying around from another kit.

Ian

• The title was changed to Cape Cod Catboat by Seventynet - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcraffters - Scale: 3/4 '' = 1 '