Sand/Cut a Corner Edge

Hi Everyone - I'm not real experienced with my Byrnes Table Saw yet. I imagine there is probably an easy trick for what I need to do.

First off the table saw does not have the angled deck option. I have a 1/8"x1/8" strip that I need to take off one of the corner edges for the length of the strip. Obviously the angled deck would have solved my problem, but I'm guessing there are other ways to do this.

If the piece was larger, I would probably just use my disk sander. But I don't feel comfortable sanding a smooth even surface on a 1/8" stick.

How would you do it?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike,

What I did one time was build a sled out of some scrap.  I then mound the strip I wanted to cut to a piece of scrap using it to create the angle I needed.   This allowed me to keep my fingers away from the blade.   I had the bevel cut jig mounted to a little sled I made from scrap.

post-20767-0-68085600-1459877041_thumb.jpg

post-20767-0-18317900-1459877154.jpg

Have you considered using a small plane?  Make a cradle that will hold the strip with the edge to be planed facing up.  Use a very sharp blade and make small cuts until you have the surface you want.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Gaetan - I am not thinking out of the box yet. You obviously are. I have 1/8" sheet that could be sanded then cut.

grsjax - I do have a good thumb plane. However the corner edge that will be removed will be face up on the deck (the strip is used for coamings) . I'm afraid the slightest inconsistency will be quite obvious. Not sure I trust myself to get it perfect for about 36" of strip.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to give Gaetan's idea a try this evening.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I think that a  hand plane would be the best choice -- a 60-1/2 is an excellent choice for all-around work, or a 102/103.  It would be used with a shooting board and block on the plane to hold it at the desired angle..  

By the way, look at these miniature beauties from Lee Valley (under the Small Planes category) ; they would probably be excellent:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=70138&cat=1,41182

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?cat=1&p=41182

Edited by Bob Blarney

Bob  - I have the Veritas Mini Plane already.

This turned out to be a non-issue for me. Rounding the edges was a better option.