Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Bob,

Granados rigging is looking better every time, nice neat and tidy work as usual out of your shipyard   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Glad to hear your horde has left you free to pursue the more important matters -- working on your fine Granado!!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Looking good Bob. 

As quickly as you are progressing, I have to ask...what's next?  :)

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks so much Joe. I'm still a few months from completion and really don't know what's next. What I do know is that I'm 77 with eyes and hands getting more problematic with time. My criteria now are for larger scale models of smaller ships. I'm not looking for projects that would take years to complete (unless perhaps Amati comes out with Chris Watton's new Prince :rolleyes: ).

Bob

Bob, your rigging is pristine.  Truly awe inspiring.  I might have to send you a few of my builds to rig :)

If you're looking for larger scale models of smaller ships, if you like the look of the Dutch ships from the 17th century, there are some really good subjects/plans in this book from Seawatch:

https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=114003

I also recently picked up from a fellow MSW member Ab Hovings "Ships of Abel Tasman" which has two ships from that era, with great plans and history:

https://books.google.com/books?id=iedDTFBr8GwC&pg=PA70&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have a bunch of projects on my workbench at the moment, but thinking ahead, and thinking about working on smaller models, these ships, to me at least, make for very interesting models.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks so much Mike and B.E. for the generous comments.

Funny you should mention Dutch ships Mike. I was just thinking about them, but thinking more about kits than a scratch.

B.E., nowadays I sometimes feel like an old athlete who's lost his young skills, but learned to get by with experience and tricks.  :)

Bob

Bob

I'm finishing up my HMS Surprise which was banned from MSW? (I didn't know it was a banned Chinese knock off when I bought it). The next build will not be banned. I miss all you guys.

Your work is magnificent.

Rich

Bob, your Granado is looking wonderful! I need to pay close attention to your bag of tricks as they lead to beautiful results :) 

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

very nice Bob.........glad to hear your not going to stop modeling.   it would be a sad waste of talent ;)   schooners may be something you'd be interested in. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Denis. No way that I'm going to stop modeling. I may just need to rethink what I'm going build -- or, then again, maybe not  ;) . We'll see.  :)

Bob

I mounted the main topmast, which I had made previously in the same manner as the other masts, and then began to add it's rigging. I did the shrouds, the backstays and then put the breast backstay and running backstay in place at the masthead before realizing that I could not complete them without doing the ratlines on both the lower and topmast shrouds.Thus ended my procrastination on doing the ratlines.

The good news is that like riding a bike, you don't forget how to tie clove hitches. The knack for doing it comes back very quickly. The bad news, of course, is that there are just so many of them to do. I believe that in the dictionary next to the word "tedium", there is a picture of a modeler tying clove hitches for ratlines. In any event, I've now gotten through the ratlines on the starboard main lower and topmast shrouds including the topmast futtock shrouds. Next, it is on to do the same on the port side.

Bob

post-186-0-33179800-1484228171_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-59369800-1484228202_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-59939700-1484228239_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-82514700-1484228325_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-03928800-1484228357_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-41617300-1484228398_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-80092700-1484228435_thumb.jpeg

Ha Bob!  Yes, that tedium of endless clove hitching is what gives you the body memory of how to tie them.  It never goes away, though somehow the recollection of the tedium seems to pass just a bit.

Fine work as always.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

look'in cool bob.......I'm gonna have to learn to clove hitch.   guilty of tying the regular knot.  great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great work Bob. Though tedious the end result makes it well worth it. :)  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Dirk, Martin, B.E., Denis, Rusty and the "likes". This is an area where encouragement is especially appreciated.

B.E., glad to hear you can't see any. At some point, I get too cross eyed to even tell.  :D

Bob

Bob

Here's where I've been for the last 20 months.  Now 'm trying to figure out what to build next.

Keep up the great work. You are my goal.

post-4214-0-16381400-1484259753_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-76948900-1484259781_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-50128800-1484259810_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-41354300-1484259839_thumb.jpg

Very nice and neat rigging as usual, Bob! I like it!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Great work Bob.  I really like how those crows feet stand out within all that rigging.

All I can say is, "WOW!"

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Real nice work Bob. I think I need to get my eyes checked, the rigging looks almost blue in some of the pics. :)