Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Bob,

It looks again wonderful and very good !

But are you working under plastic or something ?

It's so clean.....

When I take a picture you will see dust but not at your pictures.....

Sjors

Work on the aft area is now complete, except for items that won't be added until much later to avoid damage. This has involved doing the quarter badges, the lower finishing figure, the aft swivel gun mounts and the first part of the sheer molding.

The quarter badges are the kit castings, with the addition of more window framing to more closely match that shown in AOTS. I painted them to match the transom, using Pollyscale B&M blue, Floquil buff and Modelmaster wood colors. They were mounted over an area painted black and Micro Kristal Klear was used for glazing after mounting.

The lower finishing figure  is the kit casting painted with the same buff and wood colors.

The swivel gun mounts are made from boxwood strip, notched to fit over the hull and sheer rail, and then shaped with files. The metal band at the top was done with black painted paper. A hole was drilled in each for the gun mounting and the top of each was painted black.

After gluing the swivel mounts in place on the hull, I then began work on the sheer molding. My procedure here was somewhat different, and requires explanation. Firstly, I did not use the kit's metal strip for the molding, but went with wood. Secondly, rather than using a scraper to create the molding shape in a single strip of wood, I chose to use three separate half round wood strips to create the molding shape.This allowed me to paint the middle portion B&M blue cleanly and without any difficulty, while leaving the upper and lower portions natural wood.  Thirdly, rather than mounting the molding first and then notching the swivel mounts to fit over it, I chose to cut and fit the molding strips with the swivel mounts in place. I have found that this provides neater joinery and avoids having to cut neat and complicated notches.

The swivel guns themselves, and the port lids will be left off at this point to avoid the almost inevitable damage that would occur with them in place. I will now start to move forward with the hull detailing.

Bob

post-186-0-77287500-1471435407_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-17529900-1471435429_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-27676500-1471435450_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96832100-1471435477_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38449100-1471435498_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82908200-1471435520_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41537800-1471435544_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-46142300-1471435624_thumb.jpg

Beautiful craftsmanship as always, Bob! Thanks also for listing the paints you use! The wood-toned one seems pretty authentic, considering it's paint! Very nice work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

just catching up Bob........sorry to hear about the Cheerful.   glad that you were able to repair her.  I've had a few bumps with some of my builds {most were self inflicted}.    no use cry'in.........just fix'em and move on.  you did great  ;)

very nice progress on the Granado.........very neat and tidy :)   really nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

This has been a busy week. I've done the detailing of the midship area of the outer hull. This involved doing the scuppers, the sweep ports, the entry steps, the fenders, the swivel gun mounts, the channels and the sheer molding.

The scuppers are merely holes drilled from the outside that do not go all of the way through. The interior of the holes was painted graphite with a toothpick.

The sweep ports were scribed in, the scribed lines colored with a pencil and then sealed with Wipe-on Poly. The hinges from the kit PE set were painted black and glued in place with CA.

The entry steps were made from boxwood strip ( a piece of 1/32" square and a piece of 1/32" x !/16" ).

The fenders are boxwood strip shaped to the hull.

The swivel mounts are boxwood  strip made as described for those at the quarterdeck.

The sheer molding was made as previously described and continued to the fenders.

The channels are the kit parts, painted black and pinned and glued to the hull.

Bob

post-186-0-31231500-1472040176_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-93182800-1472040194_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-44504100-1472040228_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-88109400-1472040245_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-29280600-1472040270_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-04233100-1472040304_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-61716200-1472040319_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38476900-1472040339_thumb.jpg

lovely progress Bob !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks great. I like your ideas with the oar sweeps and scuppers, I really don't like putting holes through the hull, especially one as good looking as yours

Thanks so much Nils, Don and the "likes". 

Don, I have to admit that doing the sweep ports this way was the result of having forgotten to drill the holes much earlier when I should have. :huh:  I was reluctant to do it at this point, and forced to find an alternative. All in all, I'm happy with the result.

Bob

Looking good Bob. I like the idea of the three part sheer molding. Clever...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks so much Joe, B.E. and the "likes".

I've become a big fan of lamination, both as an alternative to scraping, and to masking for painting. Just another by-product of aging. :P  :P

B.E., I'm not sure if I will doing anything more about the scuppers, but you've got me thinking. 

Bob

The PE fret has "imitation" scuppers on it. They are circles with no opening, but they'll probably suffice for the interior if painted dark gray/black. 

I used mine on the hull exterior. I didn't want to try to drill through and hope it lined up right. 

You can see it in this photo, to the left of the gun port, just above the wale. 

post-11003-0-96234600-1472178493.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

really nice work Bob....the extra detail is sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've now completed the detailing of the midship interior bulwarks. This involved the following: adding the door to the quarterdeck bulkhead; drilling mounting holes for the bulwark eyebolts and ringbolts and adding the eyebolts; drilling the interior holes for the scuppers; adding the various cleats and kevels.

The quarterdeck bulkhead door was made from thin card, painted red to match the bulkhead, with hinges from the kit PE set and knobs made from brass pins.

The scupper holes were drilled at locations corresponding to those on the exterior, but not connected. Like the exterior holes, they were painted graphite with a toothpick.

The kevels were made from boxwood strip and painted red. the cleats are the kit castings, also painted red.

Now, it's time to move forward and do work on the bow portion of the ship.

Bob

post-186-0-69368500-1472471108_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-19358400-1472471131_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26660100-1472471148_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36308500-1472471168_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45617800-1472471197_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the scuppers! That technique must remove a lot of stress!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

We've had some rain down here in Florida lately. As always, rain means less golf and more modeling -- so....

A great deal has been done in the bow area. To begin with, I fitted the ply subdeck for the the forecastle. This required that I make and mount the lower portion of the galley stack, which was made from boxwood strip painted black with a walnut strip coaming. I also drilled the hawse holes at this time.

After the subdeck was on, I did the forecastle planking and tree nailing. This was done exactly as before for the other decking.

Next, I painted the forecastle portion of the outer hull blue to match the other blue parts. I then I added the forecastle cap rails and hances using the kit parts. The knight heads and timber heads were also added, using the kit parts. All of this was painted black. I also painted the upper stem black at this time.

Then, I made up the forecastle swivel gun mounts, exactly as for the quarterdeck and midship mounts, and glued them in place.

With all that work completed, I continued the sheer molding forward to the stem, using the same three piece construction as before.

Finally, I made up the anchor lining from boxwood strip. tree nailed it, and mounted it in place.

Now, it's time to face a task that is never fun for me -- the head work. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'll do and how I will do it. The only thing that is clear is that I will not be using the kit parts, but will attempt to follow the AOTS, using all scratch built parts.

Bob

post-186-0-83611300-1473009245_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-03496300-1473009282_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-74534700-1473009312_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41195300-1473009352_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69708500-1473009371_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-39172200-1473009395_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-12187300-1473009428_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23618900-1473009462_thumb.jpg

Very nice work Bob,

just a question : did you do "edge-caulking" of the side planks above the wales before laying these ?

All looks very neat and crisp  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50