Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Thanks so much Nils and the "likes". Nils, I "caulked" each of the planks with a pencil on one edge and one end.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

it looks great, I use the same technique for my ships decks and it also worked well every time, even if the planks are only 0,8 mm thick there is enough "flesh" on them for sanding over prior to varishing...and the "caulking" remains visible...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob

I believe I'm going to do this ship next.

I love the look of the holly below the wales.

Can you tell me how much holly you needed for that?

How many strips? Did you rip them from 1mm sheets, from 5mm sheets, or buy milled strips.

Haven't used custom lumber (or in fact anything but basswood) before.

Bruce

Bruce, I used milled strips from Crown Timberyard for all of the planking. I used the holly for both the lower hull and the decking and ended up ordering a lot more than I actually needed. I'm not sure whether it was bad estimating or efficient usage, but I'm guessing that the amount used on the lower hull was 6 strips of 5mm x 1mm and 45 strips of 4mm x 1mm. I used the metric sizes (which are available from Crown) to match the kit's metric dimensions. Because the strips are very thin and the holly is quite flexible, I used tapering and edge bending rather than spiling and, thus, was able to use the milled strips.

Bob

After two weeks, work on the head is now done. As I previously indicated, the kit parts were discarded (other than the figurehead casting) and everything was done scratch using boxwood strip and sheet. The intent was to recreate what is shown in AOTS. Although my version is not a precise duplication, I think that it captures the essentials of that shown in the book. While the attached photos show the construction sequence that I followed, they fail to show the large number of discards and redos that were involved, nor the amount of ugly language that accompanied the work.

I began by cutting down and reshaping the stem. This also entailed recutting the gammoning slot and filling the old hole.

Next, I did the cheeks and trailboards. The cheeks, including the upward extension of the upper cheek, were done using the same lamination technique I used for the hull moldings. The trailboards were cut from sheet and painted blue as shown on the AOTS cover.

The hawse lining was cut from sheet, drilled for the hawse holes and bent to fit the hull. The hawse bolsters were shaped to fit from strip.

The cat head supports and the upper rail were shaped using strip assembled using the same lamination method.

The middle rails are single pieces of strip. The head timbers are strip pieces shaped to fit between the cheeks and upper rails and laminated to fit around the middle rails. Among all of the fiddly work on the head, this was certainly the worst and most frustrating.

The catheads were made using laminated strip that allowed for easy work making real sheaves, rather than simulations. Cleats were made from strip and the kit's cat face casting was added. The catheads were painted black and the casting painted to match the natural wood.

Lastly, the figurehead casting was painted to match the wood, using the same paints and method as was done with the stern castings.

I'm really happy to be done with this work. It's always been one of my least favorite tasks on any build.

Bob

post-186-0-90642600-1474122486_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31396800-1474122525_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-09133400-1474122553_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-17587200-1474122585_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71036300-1474122603_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-00317500-1474122634_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84503200-1474122654_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-63040800-1474122729_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-19568200-1474122764_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-72147300-1474122788_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-80705700-1474122806_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41315400-1474122850_thumb.jpg

Looks great Bob..........I like the blue inlay work on the head gear  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

beautiful work Bob,

the bow rails look great..., nice color giving

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Your detailing skills are amazing Bob, excellent work :)

That came out nicely Bob. I always enjoy seeing varying interpretations and different ways of getting to the same point with things like the head.  

Edited by Joe V.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks so much Don, Joe and the "likes". Joe, I'm afraid that these days some of the different ways are necessitated by physical limitations. :( It does keep life interesting.

Bob

Hey Bob, great build you have there. I'm just getting back to the site after a summer away, I'll have to get caught up on this build. So glad to see you still building! I always enjoy your work!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

After completing work on the head, I wanted to do something less demanding (really, what wouldn't be ?}. I chose to do the two mortars. I used the kit's castings for the mortars, modified only by the addition of handles, as shown in AOTS. The handles were bent from wire. The mortar beds were also done with the kit parts, including eyebolts and the PE cap squares. I decided to show the mortars with one in a raised (firing) position and the other in a lowered (stowed) position.

I'm now moving on to start the remainder of the main deck detailing.

Bob

post-186-0-92483000-1475058546_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-05955100-1475058566_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-42648200-1475058589_thumb.jpg

great looking mortars Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Those mortars look great. Looks good with one stowed and the other raised. Good clean job.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard