Granado by rafine - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

Your mortars look real good in place. Do you have any idea how the real thing would have been raised and held in place? Looks like they would have been fairly heavy to just grab onto and lift.

Thanks so much Thomas, Albert, Don and the "likes".

Don, they are held in place, when raised, by a removable iron support. I don't know how they were raised, but I would guess by a tackle hooked to the handles.

Bob

Fantastic, Bob.  Like everyone else, I have to marvel at both your craftsmanship, and the fascinating detail of the mortar stowage.  Wonderful!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Wow, a lot to catch up on, love how the head turned out Bob and the colours of the various woods looks stunning.  Nice idea on the mortars, they look great the way you are displaying them. 

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we dodged a bullet down here in South Florida from Hurricane Matthew. The other good news was that the days of waiting and preparing provided a lot of unexpected modeling time. As a result, detailing of the main deck is moving along quickly.

In my usual fashion, to spread out repetitive tasks, I'm doing the deck detailing in segments. The first is the aft most portion, and includes the first four of the eight 4-pounder guns, the quarterdeck and side entry ladders, the aft elm tree pumps and some deck ringbolts.

For the guns, I used the kit's brass barrels and PE cap squares, but replaced the kit's splintery plywood carriages with boxwood carriages from Syren. The size was determined by using the Syren carriages intended for use with barrels closest to the kit barrels size (1:64 scale 6-pounder).  The rigging was done with line and blocks from Syren. The sizes were determined from tables in AOTS (.025" for the breeching ropes, .008" for the tackles and 1/8" blocks). BTW, for anyone wondering why the breeching ropes don't run through ringbolts on the carriage sides, I did them as they are shown in AOTS (and the kit plans).

The ladders were scratch built from boxwood strip and painted red. The kit ladders are walnut ply and are outsized and also splintery like the gun carriages.

The pumps were made from walnut strip, shaped and drilled, and the kit PE parts.

The deck ringbolts, like those for the breeching ropes, were made from brass rings and eyebolts.

Bob

post-186-0-96588300-1476186552_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-04847400-1476186591_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-51122700-1476186618_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-44888800-1476186642_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-87961100-1476186661_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-12949400-1476186684_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-65588800-1476186704_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-19849700-1476186739_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-15419300-1476186773_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-36771400-1476186814_thumb.jpeg

Looking good Bob. I like the change in the carriages, it's a nice upgrade. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Lovely work, as always, Bob. Your extra details and replacement parts make all the difference!

I am glad that Matthew passed you by! And you clearly used the time well. Fantastic progress and lots of beautiful deck details! Guns, pumps and ladders all look great!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

She is looking beautiful, Bob! It's a good thing that the hurricane didn't hit you!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks so much Joe, Grant, Thomas, Albert, Elijah and Red for the very generous comments, and also to the "likes". As always, greatly appreciated.

I find the walnut generally harder to work with than boxwood, but the walnut ply, for me, is almost impossible. Thus, the need for scratch building or after-market parts. Like many others, I like to think of a kit as merely a place to start.

Red, it will stay in my house, which my wife complains looks like a museum. :D  :D  I'm on a "one in, one out" system, which keeps the number in the house steady. Family and friends get the overflow.

Bob

Thanks so much B.E., Janos and the "likes".

B.E., it does appear that there should be eyebolts on that last step, but for whatever reason, I merely simulated a bolthead instead. :huh: I'm afraid that's how they're going to stay.

Bob

I've now completed the forward most portion of the internal detailing. This included the galley stack, the belfry, the windlass, the forecastle ladders, some ringbolts and the spanshackle for the fish davit.

I decided not to use the kit casting for the galley stack, and made one up from boxwood strip with the front drilled out. I then added a flue cover made from a disc of styrene, with mounting guides from wire and eyebolts. Lastly, a coaming from walnut strip was added at the base.

The belfry was made up basically using the kit parts, with minor changes.

The windlass required a decision. The kit parts for the mounting brackets and cheeks are solid walnut and were fine. I did add standards (knees) to them as shown in AOTS.These were cut from the walnut sheet from which the other parts came. The decision came with regard to the barrel of the windlass. The kit parts were a very light colored ply and would not match the other parts if left as natural wood. I chose to use them ,but paint the barrel red, rather than either attempt to stain the ply parts to match or scratch build a barrel from walnut. I actually like the result. The bands at the end of the barrel and at the base are black painted paper.

The ladders were made from made from boxwood strip and painted red, as I had done with the other ladders.

Ringbolts made from brass rings and eyebolts were added to the forward ports and the deck. The spanshackle is the kit PE part modified to hook into an eyebolt.

Bob

post-186-0-47127400-1476526265_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-35503100-1476526294_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-27214200-1476526316_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-23984200-1476526337_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-80355700-1476526371_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-33910200-1476526393_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-73290100-1476526413_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-02105200-1476526434_thumb.jpeg

post-186-0-32260000-1476526457_thumb.jpeg

Your fitting out of the decks looks superb Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Excellent work Bob.  I think you made a fantastic choice in ditching the kit gun carriages, blocks and rigging, they look great.

Bob, awesome clean work, how about a more recent "full shot" before you start rigging her, just to see how all those upgrades work together? Bet she's looking good!

Lou