Triton cross section 1:48 by rafine

Well, I've finally gotten tired of waiting for Model Expo to release Essex .As a result, I decided to at least dip a toe into the waters of the " darkside". I downloaded the Triton keel parts plan and found some wood and made the keel and false keel. The keel is boxwood and the false keel is pear. 

At this point, this project is an experiment for me. I have no power tools other than a Dremel.  Although I've done a number of kitbashes and semi-scratch builds, I've  been unwilling to try to do complete framing by hand tools alone. This will be that try. I haven't gotten wood yet or really even thought through  what to use. I have no jig or build board yet. In short, when I get permission to download the full plans ( which I'm asking for here), I'll start making decisions and see where it takes me.

Bob

post-186-0-80488100-1364039155.jpg

post-186-0-94341100-1364039173.jpg

post-186-0-57299700-1364039199.jpg

post-186-0-35129400-1364039229_thumb.jpg

That looks like a very promising start to your build. Have a lot of fun.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I have been wondering what you might come up with to occupy the next few weeks while you wait for Essex.  Now the answer has arrived. 

Best of luck in this new endeavor, Bob.  I'll tag along, quietly.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice start and welcome to the Triton build log.There are some very nice people here and one old sore head.It could be me :P    Best Regards Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Hi Bob and welcome aboard. I think you will love it and

I'm excited to see your build take shape. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob

Welcome aboard the Triton Cross Section build. Hope you have fun with it.  :cheers:

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hope that you can get your hands on a jig saw or you are going to have some sore hands.

Good Luck with the build and enjoy the trip..

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Bob,

Ditto what the others said.  That keel looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bob,

Russ is right.  You call also send him a PM with your request for access.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You are in, give me a shout if you cannot find the plans set. Well done for starting and enjoy it.

Alright Bob, You are now officially on your way to the "Dark Side" :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks, Joss.

I hope that's the good news, Rusty.

Bob

Yeah... it's the good news... uh-huh.. yep...post-76-0-69583100-1364319096.gifpost-76-0-27285100-1364319108.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Bob,

welcome to x-section. Nice start on the keel. Cutting frames with a fret saw on this model won't be too bad. My first project had about 60 frames, all hand cut with a fret saw. You become reasonably quick after a while. Just make sure you keep the frame well supported whilst cutting, the frame may snap otherwise. Very important: cut slightly outside the lines, the extra timber will give you some wriggle room when you fair the hull.

Regards,

Grant.

Just a brief update on where I stand. I've ordered wood from Hobbymill to do the frames and planking. At this point, my choices are to do the frames and internal planking in boxwood, The lower outer hull will be holly and the wales will be ebony. I've made no decision about the upper hull and bulwark planking yet. Nor have I made any decision about whether to plank both sides or only one. I'm sure that choice will depend on how the framing turns out --one side if it's good, both sides if it's not. While waiting for the wood, I'm practicing cutting and assembling a frame using scrap wood.

Bob 

Two events. My wood has arrived from Hobbymill ( beautiful, as always), and I have finished assembling my practice frame. Cutting and sanding by hand on the frame was SLOW. I'm not very happy with the frame, but I can see that with more repetition, both skill and speed should improve some. I hope so.

Now it's time to start building the real frames.

Bob

post-186-0-12028400-1365515838_thumb.jpg

Bob:

The frame looks pretty good to my eye. My one piece of advice at this point is to leave a bit of meat on the frame for fairing. Not much, but give yourself a bit of wiggle room.

Russ