Triton cross section 1:48 by rafine

After three days of sanding my finger tips off, I've come to two conclusions: first, the frames are now ready to begin planking (the uppermost portion of the frames has not been fully faired yet); second, I don't like the frames enough to leave any part of the hull unplanked. I'm now starting work on the interior planking.

Bob

post-186-0-69165300-1367334451_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-50202700-1367334527_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59712300-1367334545_thumb.jpg

If you have the frames where the planking will lay flat in all areas, then I say go for it. Good work.

Russ

I would say that the sanding frenzy was well worth it.  That's a nice piece of work, Bob.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Bob, Boy they sure look nice to me! Well done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob,

nice work, congratulations on reaching the next stage.  To pick up on the comment by Russ, have you checked the fairing with a plank to see if they are properly faired? I was a little sloppy with mine, which created some problems getting the planks to sit right.....which led to more work to rectify and fudge things to get it to look right. I was forced to conclude that it is easier to fix things before they compound into larger problems.

Regards,

Grant.

The hull is looking very good. Congrats to reach this first milestone of your build.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Planking is now underway. I began by installing the keelson and then did the limber strakes and limber boards. I also did the ceiling out to the first thickstuff. All of the planking was done with boxwood. After installing and trimming the planking, I treenailed it, using bamboo skewers and a Byrnes drawplate. I found the hardest thing to do was to split the bamboo skewers into pieces small enough to go through the drawplate. The treenails will show better when finish is applied to the planking. Interior planking will now continue out to the lower deck clamps.

Bob

post-186-0-53320100-1367925060_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-16334400-1367925079_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-27838600-1367925193_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-60436000-1367925262_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-83364500-1367925281_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73927400-1367925332_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-03797500-1367925349_thumb.jpg

Bob, I really like the look of your limber boards. The treenails are looking good. Would you tell us what the size of your treenails pictured are? Ah yes, splitting

the bamboo. Now there's the rub. ;)

Your doing a great job. 

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Nice work, Bob.  Correction, make that excellent work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Paddy and Mark. Paddy, I'm not really sure about the size of the tree nails. The bamboo was reduced to #33 on the draw plate, whatever that works out to.

Bob

Beautiful work Bob. I look forward to seeing more of your build.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

That is beautifully faired. Everything looks very smooth though the camera seems to be yellowing some of the shots (presumably the flash) which hides the beauty of the wood (which you can see in the more natural light ones)

Joss

Bob,

I would suggest to glue the thicker planks for the deck beams and so on first. So you can easier avoid culmulative errors by the planking job.

I start the planking exakt in the same way and had the prob with these errors.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Bob,

you have done a fine job so far, it's looking great. Christian has it right, get your deck beam clamps accurately in place first, then adjust the width of the planks (if neccessary), to fit the space between them and the lower planking already installed.

Regards,

Grant.

.......... The bamboo was reduced to #33 on the draw plate, whatever that works out to.

Bob

Thanks Bob. 

The actual size and not scale size was what I was referring too. I should have been more specific in the question. Again, fine work.

I had the Lilliputians treenail folks at work again yesterday as I waited for some glue to dry. They’re learning more about trennals production as we go along. ;)   

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thanks to all. Christian and Grant, I had already come to that conclusion and had done the lower deck clamps before continuing with the planking. The result is that I will only have to adjust one plank up to that point.

The bad news, Paddy is that there are lots of treenails. The good news is that you lern some tricks to make it easier as you go along. Very much like ratlines.

Bob

I've completed the interior planking up to the lower deck clamps. I've also done the treenailing up to that point. Lastly, I put on one coat of Wipe-on Poly for some protection. I will do additional finish coats later. 

Next up will be the wales and the exterior planking from the keel up to the wales. With the frames now quite rigid with the addition of the interior planking, I will do some more fairing on the exterior before doing the planking.

Bob

post-186-0-94292700-1368465863_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-64500200-1368465882_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-35686200-1368465900_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-76904600-1368465918_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-83617400-1368465963_thumb.jpg

Beautiful planking, Bob.  Just beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)