Triton cross section 1:48 by rafine

I'm working on the lower deck framing. So far Ive done the three forward beams and the carlings, ledges and lodging knees between them. I'm cutting the hanging knees now. I decided to try assembling the deck framing as a complete unit off the model before installing it. This simplified cutting the mortises and fitting the pieces and so far it has worked out well.

The mortises were cut using a razor saw and a small chisel. All of the framing is boxwood. The last photo shows the portion completed to date put in place temporarily for the picture.

The next step will be to do the fourth beam and the beam arms. I'll see when they're done whether it can all be assembled in one unit, or if the installation will have to be done in two units and then connected in place.

Bob

post-186-0-16567700-1397145313_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82933500-1397145357_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-79690500-1397145390_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-63748800-1397145418_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68249300-1397145455_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafine

Wow Bob that is great. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much, guys. The support is appreciated. I'm afraid that poor photography makes the joints look somewhat better than they really are.

Bob

Beautiful work. I wish I could get mine to look like that.

In that vein, I have a couple of questions for you.

I still consider myself to be pretty much a rookie at ship building and have not yet had much experience with scratch building. A couple of years ago I did cut a couple of frames from this Triton cross-section though. Mine did not look nearly so clean and did not come out quite so accurate and I ended up giving up.

How much of a difference do you think using boxwood over a cheaper more readily available wood like basswood makes?

From your log, it looks like you cut out each frame piece and then assembled them using the plans as a guide. Is that correct? I've seen other builds where the frames were assembled with "rough" blocks of wood and then cut to shape as a whole rather than in pieces. This is the method I tried, but mine were off by as much as 1/4" when complete. Was it easier to correct for errors when cutting each piece and then assembling? 

Just curious. You make it look easy.

Thanks.

Rich

Bob:

Very nicely done. So long as you can get it to fit correctly, I see no reason not to assemble the deck as you are doing.

Russ

Bob,

Just spectacular...  Very well done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Rich, Russ and Mark for the very kind words.

So far so good, Russ. The short length of the cross section lends itself to doing it this way.

Rich, for my money there is no comparison between using boxwood (or pear or cherry or other hardwoods) and basswood. It is well worth the extra cost for the results that you will get and the aggravation that you will avoid. There are certainly people on this site who achieve great results with basswood, but I've been a convert for some time now. You're correct about the method I used to make the frames. I would think that doing it the other way would result in a great waste of expensive wood. Also in my case I cut everything by hand and it seemed much easier to cut smaller pieces rather than full frames.

Bob

Beautiful work on the lower deck Bob. Your build is looking great.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Many thanks, Ron and Joss. I had never tried it before, Joss, but I'm glad that I did. I don't know how it would work on a full hull model, but it's been good idea on the cross section.

Bob

Thanks, Grant. It's worked out better than I expected.

The lower deck framing is now complete and installed. I added the fourth beam and the beam arms, as well as their carlings and ledges. The bottom and sides of the assembly were finished with Wipe-on Poly. The top will be given the finish after a portion has been planked. I then installed the entire assembly permanently. Next, the hanging knees were cut from boxwood sheet, fitted, finished with Wipe-on Poly and installed. Lastly, the pillars were cut from boxwood strip, their corners chamfered, finished with Wipe-on Poly and then installed.

The next steps will be to plank a portion of the lower deck and to plank the interior from the lower deck to the gun deck clamps.

Bob

post-186-0-16574000-1372156218_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-39198400-1372156396_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20255700-1372156450_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-64966600-1397145140_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-42555000-1397145178_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafine

Hi.

Wow looking very nice.

I am learning a lot here when it comes to my turn I will have some very clear goals.

It's as close to the real thing... No its better then the real thing :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Very nice work Bob. It looks great.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

That is some very nice, tight framing you have there Bob.

I could never do it off the model like that.

Well done! B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout