Imperial yacht Standart (1893) by Alexey Baranov - FINISHED - Done - scale 1:48

Beautiful work Alex. I was intrigued by the press for the hull plates. You refer to  'poverhnostyami.Izgotavlivayu stamp"  but i can't find a translation. Did you make the press and if so how?

Keith

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hello.

Sorry for the mistake ... I had in mind the production of finishing surfaces.

It always turns out in a hurry. when they speak directly .... Haste needed when catching fleas and diarrhea.

The stamp is made on CNC milling machine. I used the high-carbon steel. Then I stamped tempered at a temperature of 800 degrees. After stopping the reaction is released at a temperature of 250 - 300 degrees. The press turned out of the rut and special molds. The mold is made of steel 45.

I will show the manufacturing process (stamping brass sheets). The sheets already cut to size. 0.3 mm thick sheet.

Hi Alex,

great work with the metal stamp and it`s heattreatment process, looks like it will have a long stand time. What thickness are your brass plates, and do you have to aneal those for stamping ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Those stamps are beautiful Alex. How did you add the dimples on the positive face? They are perfectly placed. Was this done by CNC?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Alex I went looking for the brass that you specified, because it looked like it stretched very nicely I did fine one supplier in the Ukraine, did you use a strip of rolled brass or was it a sheet that you cut into the plates? Fantastic work on the die.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Alex,

great work with the metal stamp and it`s heattreatment process, looks like it will have a long stand time. What thickness are your brass plates, and do you have to aneal those for stamping ?

Nils

Hello Nils.
I use a sheet of brass rolled thickness of 0.3 mm.Dlya smaller models is convenient to use a sheet thickness of 0.2 - 0.25 mm.

Could one make one die and simply back it up with a piece of lead, rather than having to machine two matching dies perfectly?

No. Lead use is not desirable. I tried to get bad. For the "mom" is better to use a solid metal. I tried the aluminum but it quickly wears out. So I began to use steel 45.

Secret technology is very interesting :)  I like !

Technology is no longer a secret. I did not strain your brain. Our dear great friend Dr. Michael long ago came up with the technology. Dr. Michael kindly told me all the details of the technology. However, it was always just the improvement in my repertoire. I added a digital technology and better materials. So my merit is not great.

Alex I went looking for the brass that you specified, because it looked like it stretched very nicely I did fine one supplier in the Ukraine, did you use a strip of rolled brass or was it a sheet that you cut into the plates? Fantastic work on the die.

Michael

Hi Michael.
I bought a brass rolling here:

Alex thank you for the link.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, those panels are beautifully executed!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Alex,

beauitiful work

your plating looks very neat, what kind of glue are you using, is it a contact type glue, or CA ?

Is there a certain reason that you are plating from bow in direction stern instead of opposite direction, so the vertical overlapping is not exposed to the onstreaming water ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful execution and excellent workmanship !

However ... the Muntz-metal sheathing would not have had raised nail-heads I think. Not sure how the plates were fixed to the isolating wood layer, but assume they would have been nailed like in the older days. It was important to achieve a galvanic separation between the Muntz-metal and the iron/steel plating underneath. When the plates are nailed down on the wood (with a layer of felt in between), the pattern looks a bit like on a deep-buttoned Chesterfield sofa. One can see this on the copper sheathing of HMS GANNET (1878) in Chatham:

100220-72.jpg

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Good morning Alex,

beauitiful work

your plating looks very neat, what kind of glue are you using, is it a contact type glue, or CA ?

Is there a certain reason that you are plating from bow in direction stern instead of opposite direction, so the vertical overlapping is not exposed to the onstreaming water ?

Nils

Hello Nils
I stuck to the sheets of adhesive cyanoacrylate.
Layouts corresponds to the project.

Beautiful execution and excellent workmanship !

However ... the Muntz-metal sheathing would not have had raised nail-heads I think. Not sure how the plates were fixed to the isolating wood layer, but assume they would have been nailed like in the older days. It was important to achieve a galvanic separation between the Muntz-metal and the iron/steel plating underneath. When the plates are nailed down on the wood (with a layer of felt in between), the pattern looks a bit like on a deep-buttoned Chesterfield sofa. One can see this on the copper sheathing of HMS GANNET (1878) in Chatham:

100220-72.jpg

Hello wefalck
Of course, you're absolutely right in terms of the historical reality in terms of engineering performance copies of this ship. However, at such a small scale to try to do so as the present, the real ship is not possible. In addition, it should not be done. I do not make a real ship. I'm trying to create a model of the ship and it is above all the image of a real ship. The model is first and foremost a work of applied art. My task is to convey accurately the artistic image, the spirit of a real ship. Therefore (after the experiment), I chose the most successful variant (close to reality), which would correspond to the artistic concept model.
Special thanks for the excellent photos. I already took this photo in my archive. Very useful for creating a model in 1:24 scale (at least !!!)