Hannah by Cap'n Rat Fink - FINISHED - 1/4" scale - semi scratch - George Washington's Colonial Schooner by Mario - Finished 2/24/2021

look'in good my friend  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Guys for stopping by and your kind words. Thanks all for the likes.

Well once I figured the story all those lines were telling me it got a whole lot easier. The starboard went a lot smoother, and I was done in about 2 hours. Now on with the hawse timber, then glue them in after finish sanding the fore and aft faces of the frames...

And again please let me know if you see that I made a mistake or mistakes. This Cant making is a first for me..

1462684815_1925_FT24836_ussh95_.jpg

1462684815_1925_FT24836_ussh96_.jpg

1462684815_1925_FT24836_ussh97_.jpg

1462684815_1925_FT24836_ussh98_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Your work so far is spot on.  How many hawse timbers are there?  In building my Lauck Street POF AVS there were three hawse timbers on each side, and fitting them and fairing them was the most difficult art of the framing process.  Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I surely Cant tell you to do it any other way, Mario ;-)

(sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

Looks great to my eye.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

• 2 months later...

Well I thought I would do a very small update here. The forward cants are done and installed. The full frame are done. But ran into a small problem with one of the aft cant frames. #24. So I will have to deal with this one.

So I have 1 picture for ya. I am just too busy right now to post pictures and update regularly.

Me and my family are having a good summer. Working(after all cant have a fun summer without mooola). Been movie watching, concerts at the park, vacationing in Carlsbad South Beach. about 30 mins from were your NRG meeting is gonna be in San Diego. We are looking to retire in Carlsbad or Oceanside, because we love the beach area. Kid soccer, and adult softball that we joined. Just having fun baby.

That's why no updates lately. Ah the joys of living in So. California. Over all the best weather in the continental USA. Besides this is a hobby, NOT MY LIFES BLOOD. haha! 

have a great summer

post-1053-0-56969300-1468251437.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Really nice! work on those frames Mario, she's look'n good!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

nice to see an update..........even if it's just to say howdy  :)     I'm sure you'll find a good solution to your problem........does it impact the assembly?   will it show in the finished model?   {just thought I'd throw these questions out there}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Having nearly completed a Lauck Street POF model of the AVS, I can tell you that I ran into similar problems in a couple of spots on the frames.  I did have to remake some parts including two cant frames at the aft end of the hull.  It's part of the challenge of building these POF kits.  You have to realize that Bob Hunt created these models himself, and himself alone.  He drew up the plans, did all the quality control, built the prototype and cut all the parts himself.  There was no army of kit developers working with him. Considering this was a one-man operation, and the Hannah framing kit went from a concept to a finished kit in about 2 months is remarkable.  A minor glitch or two is to be expected.

• 1 year later...

Hello All,
Time to raise the dead. Another one of my dead build logs. Been two years ago again. The laser cut parts at least for the frames had several issues. So I had to remake my own frames to replace the ones that did not match up to the frame drawings. Ill see how far I will be able to get before my knee surgery. Then I will have to stop until Im able to get around again.

1520535495_1925_FT24836_img_0658_.jpg

1520535495_1925_FT24836_img_0659.jpg
1520535495_1925_FT24836_img_0660.jpg
1520535495_1925_FT24836_img_0661.jpg
1520535495_1925_FT24836_img_0663.jpg
1520535495_1925_FT24836_img_0664_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

So right now I am dealing with the wing transom. Got one question. Is it better to sand the hull before I install the transom??? If yes then I have to figure how to sand the inside of the hull. HAHA! All frames in, but only the cant frames fore n aft are glued in at this time.

1520535731_1925_FT24836_img_0665_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Mario? You're back!

Cant give any technical advice here just cheer you on. 😁

Boy, my chair was dusty... where's the popcorn btw?

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

hello Mario! :)    I've got little experience with plank on frame,  but I don't think it will hurt anything,  since you'll likely be working inside the hull first.  it will even help you to set up the transom framing.   I look forward in seeing more.  good luck on the knee surgery ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Mario,

Looking good.  A couple things I found out the hard way...  make sure all the frames are glued before sanding that way you'll get a smooth planking surface. For the inside, you'll have to figure out some custom tools... curved pieces of wood, etc. with the sand paper glued to the sanding blocks you make.   I also found that sandpaper attached to some flexile cardstock or thin plastic stock worked well too.   It's tight inside the hull but doable.

I think we all have our favorite ways of doing things so there is no "wrong" way.  You'll just have to try different things and find out what works for you.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Proxxon bs/e mini belt sander is the easiest thing to use inside i found, just need to be very careful and work with the frames

regards

paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hakan good to know your still alive like me! :D

Thanks Mark for the PM and your advice. Being only about 14.5 inches in length(little model).

Hi Dennis and Thank you.

Hey John Thanks you being a 1/96 man you know small areas. Not worried about blood more like snapping those damn timbers off.

Thank you Paul.

Now back to more issues on the kit I have run into. I have been messing with the wing transoms fit to the cant frames. Don't I am not going to install until I have sanded the hull.  Please tell me I looking at this correctly and so I con go forward. This is all new to me. Back to the shop and going to mess with hawse timber now. Bought this kit to learn POF, but with all the issues I am just hoping I get something out of this in the end.

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

that will work, i would fit the wing transom to strengthen the back end first and then sand, but it doesn't matter which way you do it

regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Nice chisels also. I'm sure they are a joy to use.

Knee surgery you say. Been climbing too many towers, maybe? Let's hope for a swift recovery whence its done.

And on the subject of learning... with all issues you learn a lot. As a colleague said at work, "if it was easy, they wouldn't pay us.."

Take a break when stuck and as you do, ask the intelligentsia out here for advice.

Keep it up, mate!

Edited by Wintergreen

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thanks for the kind remarks....

The fairing process is on the way

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0688.jpg

I am using small scrapers for a lot of the fairing process...

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0691_.jpg
The bow is coming out nicely, more faring to do...

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0692_.jpg
The stern cant frames during fairing process...

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0693a.jpg

An issue has cropped up...

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0692a_.jpg
A closer look...

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0693b.jpg

What I am looking at to verify the issue...

1520824804_1925_FT24836_img_0688a_.jpg

Even though I have this issue, to me it's not a real big problem. After I am done with the fairing of the inside of the hull I will be taking measurements.

My plan is to first measure the spacing of the stern framing slots on the jig. As long has I have the spacing from first port stern frame to the second frame, and the spacing matches the rest of the stern frames I should be good. If it works out like I think it should, I'll just modify the jig a bit so when I do the glue up the stern frames it will be good. All I ask from you more experience POF builders is that my deduction is correct.

The issues I run into are not frustrating, I find it as challenge and a learning experience and of course fun. Getting ready to start my first ever acoustic guitar build for my musician son. Tolerances on that will be a lot tougher.

Please any advice and remarks will be very helpful.

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Mario,

Looking good.    Question for you.... the build board... are both sides equal?   I found mine wasn't quite as equal as they should be... distortion of the print or the master (Hahn plans).  Check the arc as frame row into the stern on both sides.

BTW, the Hannah would not have had the "USS" as there really wasn't a US navy at the time.  As I recall, it was first ship of the Navy....  I might be wrong but I thought "USS" came about much later.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

TALKING TO A NOVICE HERE MARK! BUT I FOUND MY PATH. Now if you can tell me how to change the title, things will be good.

Well I was away for a long time. So I decided to re-read the kit practicum. To refresh this portion of the build. Glad I did, because it saved me from a lot of work and from making any mistakes.
           Now I have a big learning curve here. So I go with the Ol' saying "MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE". The practicum comes with all chapters to complete the model. But only goes so far with the JIG from the kit itself. So when I read on with the process I am also looking at pictures showing the explanation with Hahn's upside down JIG. Since I have no experience with either JIG. I'm trying to figure out things with two different JiG Views. So Bob's Jig is lasered cut. Lasers cut at an angle. So I have to file the slots square, Bob also mentions that the builder must also file the slots at angles since the laser will not do this, so the stern frames line up with the wing transom. So after re-reading and finding this little tid-bit of information it cleared things up.
             So at this time I am filing the slots slowly and making sure the stern frames line up correctly with the wing transom. This little jig Bob added to the over all Jig helps hold the stern frames in place, where if it weren't there you would have to use a scrap piece glued to each piece tying them all together. How far can I go with this little slotted jig, before I have to remove it? I don't know. I'll go as far as I can then remove it.

1520915006_1925_FT24836_ussh60a_.jpg

If I could do it all over again, I would of never glued this part of the jig in. I would of made it fit nice and snug so I could remove it and put it back in place when I needed too. It would of made things easier to measure and view.

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Well I have dealt with some of the going on's with the stern of the Hannah. Never have really done a POF of this nature before. So it's a learn as I go.

Please if you see that I have done something incorrectly. Let me know. I am trying to learn these more complicated models.

1520995921_1925_FT24836_img_0695.jpg

I had to bevel both ends and re-locate the outer slots to the wing transom for the outside frames. The bevel was for the WT to sit up against the deadwood

1520996071_1925_FT24836_img_0696.jpg

1520996113_1925_FT24836_img_0697.jpg

1520996147_1925_FT24836_img_0698.jpg

1520996173_1925_FT24836_img_0699.jpg

1520996207_1925_FT24836_img_0701_.jpg

1520996256_1925_FT24836_img_0704.jpg

1520996289_1925_FT24836_img_0705_.jpg

1520996354_1925_FT24836_img_0706.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

1520996407_1925_FT24836_img_0707.jpg

1520996429_1925_FT24836_img_0708.jpg

1520996451_1925_FT24836_img_0709.jpg

1520996483_1925_FT24836_img_0710.jpg

1520996509_1925_FT24836_img_0711.jpg

1520996535_1925_FT24836_img_0712.jpg

1520996561_1925_FT24836_img_0713.jpg

1520996587_1925_FT24836_img_0715.jpg

1520996619_1925_FT24836_img_0716.jpg

ALL COMMENTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Looks good, Mario.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

resolved your issue in fine style  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks mark, John, Denis,

Trying to catch up here. Just starting to read your new build log John.

Hi Ben,
From stern to bow. 14 1/2 inches. Bot sure with the bowsprit haven't gone that far as of yet. She's a little one.

Hi Arthur!

Ok I am thru chapter 5 which works with the building jig that comes with the kit. So I had to work up a plan for me to go on thru the completion of the model. Bob included all the other chapters with this kit to complete the model, but his course w/w Hahn's upside down building jig.
The other clinch it Hahn's method leaves a bit of material on each and every frame. Pulling measurements from the plans the kits frames leave a whole lot less material on the frames. So I have to proceed with caution when I start fairing the hull and cutting the notches out on the frames.
So i am going to alter the jig so I can do the major fairing with the hull still in the jig. But I will have to remove it to complete the fairing higher up on the frames.
One other decision I have to make is there anything I can add to the interior of the hull before I remove it from the jig. I am not experience at all with Hahn's style of building models so I have think things out. Any advice would be nice.

1521160454_1925_FT24836_img_0734_.jpg

1521160454_1925_FT24836_img_0735_.jpg

1521160454_1925_FT24836_img_0736_.jpg

1521160995_1925_FT24836_img_0737_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....