Lots of great tips on saws and their usage, I've decided that I MUST have Byrnes equipment, as I have yet to hear one bad word about the equipment or service and for me the service is as important as the product they sell.

I dont see any mention of type of sawn lumber. By type I dont mean variation of wood but rather flat plane sawn vs quarter sawn vs rift sawn stock to begin the process of plank sawing. I assume rift sawn to be preferable but would enjoy any discussion from the masters.

Thanks from an apprentice trying to learn the ART of wood from the Masters.

Edited by themadchemist

To better illustrate what I'm talking about for those like myself still learning, here is a picture with diagrams. To my understanding rift sawn is most stable as cutting radially produces the best integrity within the grain structure of the wood. I find the 2 methods of quarter sawing illustrated interesting as one takes 1 center slice verse 2. To my understanding rift sawn lumber is rarely produced due to its large amount of waste. 

the link to this pic

http://www.northendhardwoods.com/2010/09/quarter-sawn-vs-plain-sawn-vs-rift-sawn-lumber/

Edited by themadchemist

HI mates,

Am pleased my initial post has developed into providing all kinds of info relating to milling wood using small machines.

Since the machines are small we might be lulled into thinking they are not dangerous. On the contrary, we need to be very careful when using  these wonderful machines.  Alwayswear safty glassses and keep the fingers away from the blades. As boat biuilders we need all our digits.

Good day!

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted in kit build section of forum

Current: Sultana (MSW) Updating the build log and continuing on with the build

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

I agree David, one other thing I'd mention, never allow anyone to sit in the line of the blade.

I few years back we were in dad's work shop cutting strips for moulding. Mom and Tam were also in the shop visiting while Dad and I worked.

On impulse I made mom move as she was in the line of fire.

The very next piece, caught in the saw and was thrust like a spear across the shop exactly where mom was sitting. We were very lucky.

As a person with 5 years experience as a butcher Ive worked with many saws and other pieces of dangerous equipment.

Safety is always first. I have a friend that made one small slip-up and now he has 2 1/2 less fingers.