Rattlesnake by mog - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Attempting another start my last  return to the workbench was short lived the 3 month set back turned into a year, had to go back to my notes to find the right starting sequence. however it's the enjoyment of the build not the pace

Masts dry fitted, ready for  1st stages of  upper and lower shroud work. Will complete as much off ship rigging as possible.  Stop cleats and aft platform stanchions will be added later to minimize damage while working in the tight spaces around the platforms.  

post-2846-0-06740400-1438721899.jpg

post-2846-0-52928300-1438721911.jpg

post-2846-0-29964100-1438721926.jpg

post-2846-0-75127900-1438721935.jpg

Current Build:   Not a ship 

Completed Builds:   Mississippi River Boat OcCre 1:80

Bluenose, Model Shipways 1:48

Rattlesnake, Model Shipways 1:64

Dumas # 1233  PT Boat,  Wood, 1:30 

1914-1918 US Army Mule drawn Ambulance 1:16 

Spanker & Gaff booms,   in the big scheme of the build rigging the booms is relatively simple, however in saying that I still snapped the cleat, and had a tough time threading the double block with the right slack. ( ok simple is never simple)  Can only guess trying to rig once set in place, far too many lines and fragile parts   All has confirmed why I’ll be   sticking with the plan to rig everything I can off ship

post-2846-0-39509900-1439044952.jpg

post-2846-0-76319300-1439044960.jpg

post-2846-0-85050700-1439044971.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Fore yards rigged, a little different than rigging yards on a schooner, so two more sets to improve my technique 

post-2846-0-12127200-1441567959.jpg

• 5 months later...

1st stage of shroud and rat work, really glad I made the extra space under the platform, it gets really tight fitting the lower shrouds, ratline work a little rusty, however  coating all with thinned white glue helps pull them into shape

post-2846-0-31704400-1457033987.jpg

post-2846-0-47637500-1457034018.jpg

post-2846-0-40838300-1457034087.jpg

mog - Rattlesnake looks fantastic!  I'm particularly impressed with your coloring. Great job!

The Snake box is on my shelf - next in line after I finish Niagara. I'd like to follow along and see how you end up.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

When preparing to return to the build I was faced with the problem of yards and masts.  Do I attach the yards to the masts while off ship? Or step the masts without yards? Consulting with several members whose knowledge, skill and problem solving I admire, all have been down this road before.  I found this issue is very much in two schools of thought, both with very good merits. The one common factor is the working space on the Rattlesnake is very tight, if not near impossible in some areas.  All builders are different in their approach so In the end I went back to my old standby of Build for the builder & my skill set, while using the vast resources of the NRG site.   I decided to attach the yards and rig as much as I could off ship. Being the less complicated I started with the mizzen. It did not take me long to realises that there was no way I could have rigged the yards on ship without doing allot of damage the space is just too tight for the way I build.  I found I had to redo the blocks for the Jeers & lifts my initial placing of the blocks off in reference to the  lay of rigging line. The topsail yard rib & truck parrals where tough to place in the tight space. Taking what I learned on the mizzen I will change the sequence for working the 3 areas on the main.    Again this method is not  the best way for everyone, but at the end of the day the path of least resentence for the individual builder wins out.

post-2846-0-57531200-1477571740.jpg

post-2846-0-59166100-1477571763.jpg

I had the same choices you did when I started rigging my Rattlesnake. Having never rigged a three masted model before, I looked at what everybody else did. The Robert Hunt practicum I was following used the "rig the masts and yards off the ship" method. The book I was also following by David Antscherl, The Fully Framed Model, Rigging a Sixth Rate Sloop of 1767-1780 was a "do as much as you can off ship and install it on the ship" method. By this I mean most of the blocks and some rigging were installed on the mast and yards off ship while the most of the rigging was installed on ship. In addition the rigging sequence more or less followed the actual building sequence of a real ship. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages. One Rattlesnake builder I was following was also using the practicum and he felt the practicum rigging instructions wasted too line. Since I was using Syren's rigging line and not the Mamoli kit's, cost was also a consideration.

I installed the bowsprit first, then work my way from the first level of the masts from the mizzen forward, adding the associated rigging for each step level, inboard to outboard. I worked for me, but since this was the first time I had ever done this, I have no previous experience to compare it against.

I think you made the right choice for you. You do what works best for your knowledge and skills. 

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Working on rigging the mizzen mast off ship, I wanted to add my thoughts for future builders. I know   most of this has been said before by Ratt builders or any builder.    However JSGerson & Martin W  gave me the simplest and best advice I have had in the 3 ½ years I have been on this build. “Read every word on the rigging plan, trace every line, and know what it does, then do it all over again, again & again. Sounds obvious right everybody reads and follows the plans. But does the less experienced builder really know what they’re reading??   I thought I did when I rigged the deck, hull masts & yards.  Some blocks I rigged months ago only to find they were in the wrong place, or not set up right.   it really helps to know what a purchase really does, and why a simple becket is so important to the whole process.  As I found when I missed several. I found myself removing, adding & retying blocks, rerouting lines, placing eyebolts and blocks I totally missed until I started  to follow the flow of the rigging.  As we all have found out the hard way trying to correct mistakes in tight spaces is not a good thing. In short Find and Read a glossary of useful nautical terms. Understand what they mean and put them into practice on the plans one piece of the puzzle at a time.    

Sounds obvious right everybody reads and follows the plans.

:huh:

Sound advice!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 7 months later...

Off ship rigging as far as I can go,   as all snake builders know the mass of lines are  the norm

main.JPG

main 2.JPG

Apologies to all I forgot to resize the pics  once again the build has fallen into the on and off again stage,  from time to time I get forced into  the workshop  for paying projects.   Thankfully  many experienced builders have provided  some very  sound advice   for being away from your build for a period of time   As the Rattlesnake has very tight deck space at the base of the masts and along the whales   belay as much as you can to the mast cleats before steeping  and for me most importantly   mark  each  line, and make  some notes  so you pick up the process  close to where you ended.  I use a numbers system that works with the plans ,  name of the  line and where its belayed . This will simplify the mess of lines and give some order to the rigging flow, something the plans are not clear on.     

• 7 months later...

Starting on the bowsprit ,jibboom followed JS Gerson’s plan for the halyard block, guys &lifts,  really glad this part is over  many attempts,  allot of wasted thread,  miss drilled thimbles  ect, however learned allot  but was just  glad to get it somewhat  right. Collars & open heart  but getting there.  So far happy with the task a hand.

block guys lifts.jpg

bow sprit 2.jpg

colloer open hearts.jpg

bowsprit 1.jpg

Glad that I could be of some help. Some of that stuff really requires fine dainty fingers and a delicate touch, not to mention patience and tenacity. We're lucky if we have one or two of those attributes. Looks good though.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

rib & truck parral on the bowsprit 

rib & truck parral bowsprit.jpg

• 6 months later...

It has been awhile since my last post. Quick update , Mizzen rigged  & main 95%. Rigged mizzen, main, & bow spirt  mostly off ship, with the main deck & hull lines in place was able to rig the long boat, still not sure it I will keep the coiled line on the starboard side, could look out of place ?? Rigging off ship worked for me but had some draw backs, spent allot of time sorting out the mass of lines while following them on the plans. Also had to rework several blocks and line as they were out of place once the mast was steeped. Still all in all it’s getting there  will rig the main shrouds next

DSC00506.JPG

DSC00513.JPG

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00521.JPG

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00532.JPG

• 6 months later...

Build is proceeding along.  With the masts set it looks like a mass of lines. After all the off ship rigging it took some time to retrace all the lines to their proper termination points.  Had to add several new  kevels to spread out the lines, as there was allot of congestion around the bits, causing crossed lines.

For the lower shrouds I made the cleats and attached the coiled lines before adding them to the rigged shrouds  

756.jpg

47.jpg

748.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Final phase , rigged all the bow blocks, stepped the bowsprit  8 years of getting there, starting to get that feeling of accomplishment, however not just yet

778.jpg

779.jpg

781.jpg

783.jpg

And I thought I took a long time (7 years) to build my Rattler. Good to see you have the tenacity and stubbornness to finish. Looks good! 

• 2 months later...

I have been on the journey for over 8 years, it has taken me down a road filled with Ups, downs, joys, frustration, learning, satisfaction and know pride of accomplishment.  I have said she’s not best looking one at the ball, but she’s mine, built my way, for me , at the end of the day I believe that’s why we all love this crazy world of ship building. My thanks to the many members who provided much needed advice and ideas along the way.  Special thanks to JS Gerson and Martin W.   I would also like to thank the staff of MSW for providing an excellent site, for keeping the art of ship building alive.  The build may be complete but know its time to build the case, to keep her save for many years to come.

Again thanks for all the support  MOG  

DSC01247.JPG

DSC01256.JPG

DSC01262.JPG

DSC01249.JPG

DSC01260.JPG

It took me 7 years to build the Rattlesnake. I didn't think anyone would take longer to build this model than me, but you did at 8 years and it was well worth the wait. Congratulations!! Since you have invested so much time in creating this beauty, how are you going to display and protect her? And, are you going to take a breather?...build another model?...or what? If, and when you plan your next project. I look forward to your next build log.

Well Done!!

Jon

Thanks Jon, Your trusted advice, great building skills  and outstanding  build log  had a major impact on my build.  I'm going to build the display case next.

Then for the start of my second & final retirement  I'm going to try my hand at WW2 Pt Boat  going to us Duma 1:30 POB wood kit as my starting point, then kit bash. 

A nice change of pace. Any particular reason for the PT choice?

Are you going to make your display case or go the route I took, buying the case and table? My choice was easy, I have no woodworking tools (hand or power), save for my modeling tools, and I have absolutely no experience in making furniture.

I wanted a change from rigged sailing ships, have always been interested in the Pt boats, history, missions, crews.  Plus the Pts were made of wood.   I like to build my own cases, it’s good work and  allot cheaper, I use plastic sheet instead of glass, cuts down on the weight and its safer for the ship if you ever have an accident. Wonder if a short build log for the case might be of interest ???

All sound reasons, not that you need any when picking a model. If it's something you like, build it. I've thought about maybe a Lobster boat or a tug boat in the far distant future when my USS Constitution is completed.

As for a display case build log, that would be of general interest to many, A number of builders include this as part of the main build log. I did with mine even though most of it was purchased.