Bluenose by hamilton - 1:64 p.o.b. - from MS plans

Thanks Brian but won't this distort the wood?

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I imagine it depends on the wood.  Water doesn't do any favors for ply, as it also delaminates it, but for hardwoods you should be fine if you keep the water to the area you want to de-bond - apply it with Q-tips or a small brush and use rags or paper towels to keep the water away from other areas.  I've also used a small syringe to apply small drops of water to a specific spot, and then as it gets soaked up or drys, continue to add more.  It can take a good deal of patience as it will take a while for the water to permeate the entire connection that you want to de-bond.

Thanks Brian - I am dealing with 3/16" ply, so I think I'll avoid soaking....in the other thread SpyGlass suggested steaming....I'm going to give that a shot a see what happens....Since at least one of the parts in question isn't cut properly it's hardly a loss.....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Well I spent a bit of time this morning trouble-shooting and confirmed that there is both distortion on the plans (between the template sheet and the sheet showing the profile) and some bad cutting and shaping on my part - particularly the centre keel piece, though also the aft joint on the forward piece, where it attaches to the centre . The aft piece - which is where I initially noticed the problem - is actually fine - the drawings all line up and the part is cut with only very tiny discrepancies, easily solved with a sanding block and thin shims.

To begin with I made new templates from the profile drawing, which is where I noticed the issue with my keel as built. I then tested each of the new templates against both my keel and the template drawings. There was decent alignment between the new templates and the template drawings, except for the centre portion where there was some distortion - though I didn't think it was enough to produce the misalignment I had.

When placed against my keel, though, the issue became apparent. Here are some photos that clearly show the problems in the forward and centre keel pieces....

post-304-0-69578800-1477249828.jpg

post-304-0-22271500-1477249846.jpg

post-304-0-82232800-1477249855.jpg

post-304-0-72360000-1477249875.jpg

post-304-0-13239900-1477249888.jpg

I think you can easily see where my mistakes are!!! They're very obvious! Hard to say where they came in - likely as I was making adjustments to the joints, though the discrepancies between the template and my part are really pretty "universal"....more care in the cutting process is clearly in order....

You can also see that the aft piece is fine as made.....this is the piece with the new templates from the profile drawing, which match the template drawings on the MS plans....

post-304-0-91169300-1477249907.jpg

post-304-0-92269100-1477249920.jpg

The good news is that I have enough 3/16" ply to cut 3 new parts - and of course it seems that I really only need to cut 2 new parts.....Anyway, I think I will go with the "hard route" described above and cut two new keel pieces - centre and forward. I'll de-bond the existing pieces and try to salvage the aft piece, knowing that I can cut another if necessary. The bad news is that I likely won't be able to get moving on this till we have a decent string of dry weather, which in the pacific northwest is unlikely to happen before the new year. Usually we get some warm dry weather in January, and if that's the case I'll haul out the bandsaw and cut the new pieces then....until then (or later!) I'm afraid this log will be on hiatus.....sigh....at least I have the Syren to work on! And I think I've learned a valuable lesson about using plans as references for scratch building - if you've got two reference points check them both!! 

hamilton

Hamilton,

Some good news and a good decision! As far as debonding goes, DO NOT use water - it won't do your plywood any favours. Instead, use Isopropyl Alchohol. Either paint it into the joints, or soak a paper towel in it and clamp that along the joints for about 10 minutes. Depending on how much PVA you used, and how long it has been set, this should do the trick fairly easily. IF not, simply repeat until it does. As the alchohol evaporates fairly quickly, there is less chance of distorting the plywood.

If you are not familiar with Isospropyl Alchohol, it is sometimes sold as rubbing alchohol but we warned that it comes in diffenrent concentrates. Some of the rubbing alcohol is 50% water - you don't want that one. I get mine from the local hardware store and it is 90 or 99% alcohol commonly used for cleaning computer keyboards and the like.

I think you made the right choice, Hamilton.  Yes, plans can give you misleading info.   

As Grant said, find the 90% or better stuff.  If it's not in the hardware store, look in the medical supply departments of some of the big box stores and/or pharmacies.  Down here, it's usually either at Wal-Mart or Target and just about every pharmacy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks very much Grant and Mark - fortunately there's a small hardware store just a block from my house! While the 5 minutes it will take to walk there won't cut too much into the time required for this fix, it will count for something! What's that saying? Measure once cut twice....? Wait, that doesn't sound right, does it....

hamilton

Measure once cut twice....? Wait, that doesn't sound right, does it....

hamilton

Lately it doesn't seem to work no matter how many times I measure and cut.  The part is still too short.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hamilton

I have yet to build many boats but I can assure you I make many parts over again. They don't all make the log though.... Today I took of the forward hatch roof off because it was just wrong.

good luck with making your fix

cheers

Thanks Jond - I imagine that a lot more work goes into people's models than often makes the log - I can think of a few notable exceptions here. I hope that my error can be of help to anyone going down this path in the future....

hamilton

Hello Hamilton -

This will be great!  Just found it.  I love Bluenose and some of the other (modern?) schooners.  Looks like you are preceding in your usual, careful, meticulous manner.  I know she will be beautiful.  I will sit back and watch.  Still haven't gotten America out from under the dry-cleaning bag.  Soon, soon.

- Tim

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

Thanks Tim - welcome aboard! Hope you're a patient man! I have no dry-cleaning bag to put BN under, but at present, I have no keel, and no time or ability to cut a new one at the moment.....could be a long time before I strike this build up again....I have to do all my cutting outside and we're in the rainy season up here....waiting for a dry spell to make new keel pieces, and then onwards....

The good news is that I just got a wood shipment for this project and can proceed with some speed once the framework issues get sorted out....bye for now!

hamilton

• 5 months later...

Well, my last update to this topic was way back in October.....and my contributions to MSW in general have been pretty lax (the occasional brief comment or like)....above and beyond that the last time I spent any time modelling was back in December! Crazy!! I have not taken a break for this long since I started. But with Syren stalled at the beginnings of the gunport framing (to be picked up again soon) and with the weather improving, I thought I'd think to Bluenose once again.....

Tonight I made some new templates of the centre and foreward keel pieces from the MS drawings - two sets of templates were made - one from sheet one (which shows outlines of the laser cut parts) the other from sheet two (which shows sheer and plan views of the framework and planking). The templates were made quite quickly and were a bit rough - but they were really just meant to allow me to identify where my errors were in cutting the pieces the first time. My earlier guess ended up being right - there were two errors that compounded one another - first in the cutting of the forward piece and second in finessing the joint between the forward and centre pieces. Here's a photo showing the cumulative error:

IMG_7136.jpg

And here's a closeup:

IMG_7135.jpg

So as predicted it's back to the drawing board with the keel. I hope to do the debonding of the currently assembled pieces over the next few days - I'll then salvage the aft piece, make more careful templates of the centre and foreward, recut them and assemble the centre keel once again. Since I've already cut the bulkheads, I imagine that once this business gets done the framework will come together quickly. 

Bye for now

hamilton

Hello Hamilton. I loved your description of your trials and tribulations with your plans. It reminded me of the issues I have encountered. In my case I had to deal with significant discontinuities / errors between adjacent bulkheads. Like you I had cut the plywood before discovering the problem. I have learned not to trust "professional" plans. Good luck.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks for dropping by Keith - yes, there are so many things that can go wrong at this stage - distorted plans, shaky hands, bad cutting....I could (and do!) drive myself crazy checking things against as many sources as I can and I'll still find time to second guess myself and/or get it wrong!.....anyways, today I made my "good" templates - double checked against plan 1 and 2 of the MS sheets, and against my previously assembled keel to see if the error still showed up as prominently in this final template as it did on the rough ones I made last night - it did! I think I've made these templates at least 4 or 5 times - I really hope this is the last! I'd love to actually get started with this build!

Now I have to follow Grant's suggestion above to debond the keel parts already assembled. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to cut the new keel pieces - as I've mentioned before I'm a dining room table modeller living in the Pacific Northwest and I have to do all my cutting out on the front patio and only when it's nice and dry - the rain has let up for a couple of days but it's supposed to come back tomorrow evening and through the week. There's a well-known Vancouver joke (though maybe it's shared by our neighbours in Washington State) - how do you know it's Monday in Vancouver? The rain stops.....anyway, I'll get the bandsaw out again soon enough....

hamilton

Hamilton

I frequently used to stay in a seafront hotel on the west coast of the English Lake District. About 20 miles out to sea was a large island called the Isle of Man. One of the hotel owners favourite sayings was "If you can see the Isle of Man it's going to rain and if you can't see it it is raining".

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nice to see you back at the bench Hamilton. Hope you get your templates to a satisfactory state soon so you can progress with the build.

8 hours ago, hamilton said:

There's a well-known Vancouver joke (though maybe it's shared by our neighbours in Washington State) - how do you know it's Monday in Vancouver? The rain stops.....

hamilton

Hamilton,

That is so true.......:)

And looking forward to the progress of your Bluenose.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Mark & Per:

It is good to be back (even in such a small way....) Hope to be able to carve out some time also to check in on your work, too! 

hamilton

Of course - welcome aboard Steve - can't promise a speedy build........

hamilton

Thanks Jond - I've been out of it for a while now, so it'll be nice to be back at the bench when my plate clears....have not even had much time to drop in on some of my favourites - including your massive Bluenose! Promise I will soon!

hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

hey howya goin Hamilton mate, great start there, I'll be following along with your build no matter how long it take you.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the (extremely) late reply Eddie - but thanks for following along - though there hasn't really been much to follow! I've been travelling quite a bit since the beginning of the year - San Diego, Ottawa, Rome, the Netherlands and Germany in the past 5 months.....it's been fun, but it'll be nice to spend some time at home! And then we're off to cabin country at the end of this month, so I'm trying to pack some modelling into the next few weeks!

So I finally got back to the BN today after many months of dust gathering....The work today involved re-cutting the keel pieces, which I did (for I think the fourth time) on the bandsaw. I cleaned them up with some files and belt/disc sander and found.....that they had the same problem as before! While the aft two keel pieces seemed fine, the forward one was out of line with the plans. Instead of taking new templates and cutting entirely new pieces, though, I just fidgeted with the joint between the foreward and centre keel pieces until all of them lined up - required a bit of extra filing and the addition of two small skims on the forward joint of the centre keel piece, and now everything connects and lines up well....I won't post photos, since you've kind of seen them already!

These keel pieces still need quite a bit of attention. I need to cut the templates off at the rabbet line and the bearding line and mark those on the starboard side and also make port-side templates to mark these lines to port. I'll then assemble the keel, cut the rabbet joint and taper the cutwater. Fortunately, the bulkhead pieces I made last Fall are still serviceable, but I'll need to make adjustments on the new keel to fit them properly. Then I'll have to adjust the stern end of the aft keel piece so the sternpost fits snugly - though this won't be installed until after the hull planking is complete. At that point, I should be able to install the bulkheads.....

I have to say it's been nice to get back to this build! I've taken almost the entirety of 2017 so far off of modelling -- there simply hasn't been any time and I found also that I needed a hiatus to reignite my interest! Anyway, hopefully there will be some decent progress to show here over the next few weeks. Bye for now

hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

OK - time for a real update - I finally feel like I've made some progress on the Bluenose after starting on her last September!

I should mention that while working on the stern of the Syren on Thursday evening, I ended up putting an extremely deep gash in the upper joint of my left index finger. I had positioned the outside stern frames about 1/64" too high and was trying to wrench them free (stupidly) by levering their seams with a scalpel blade.....the blade slipped and I ended up slipping, tearing the entire stern framing off, nicking an artery and spurting blood all over the place, and spending several hours in the ER getting stitched up and consulting with plastic surgeons about tendon and nerve repair. Fortunately, my tendon is fine - good movement, though painful still. The nerve is damaged on the inside, and may need surgery - I'm going for a consult at a hand clinic on Friday and they'll tell me then whether it's worthwhile to operate. Long story short - Syren is now on hiatus while I work on Bluenose....eventually I'll cut new stern frames (I have plenty of 3/16" ply from the Bluenose build)....but for now....

After remaking the keel parts to correct for the issues I experienced before, I spent quite a bit of time refining the individual keel pieces and re-fitting the bulkheads. Having done this before it went pretty fast - here are a couple of shots of the centre keel with shims installed to fit the bulkheads snugly, as well as reinforcements for the keel joints and mast mortices.

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7831.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

You'll notice on the bow shot that the lower edge of the forward keel piece is a little all over the place - this has since been corrected with some sanding and thin shims. Here are a few shots of the bukheads dry fit....

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7835.jpg

IMG_7836.jpg

I also spent a bit of time making a building board adapting the design given by David Antscherl in TFFM Vol. 1. For the Bluenose, I used a 5/8" sheet of MDF, painted with 5 coats of matte white paint with 2 1" x 2" spruce battens for support. I took a while locally sourcing some 4-40 machine screws - just small enough for my 3/16" keel. I've never mounted a model ship using internal nuts, so it took some thinking how to go about it, particularly given the size of the nuts relative to my keel. I filed down the hexagonal nuts roughly square and fit them as you see in the photos below.

IMG_7838.jpg

IMG_7839.jpg

To drill the holes I clamped some 3/32" basswood to the side of the keel to avoid blowing out the ply, and then very gradually opened up holes to fit the 4-40 machine screw - first pricking the centres of the carved out part with an awl, then using a 3/64" drill in my pin vice, then a 3/32" bitt in my power drill, then a 1/8" bit. Here are the results, the nut attached with epoxy.

IMG_7851.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg

IMG_7854.jpg

I then used to some 1/32" x 3/32" basswood strips to cover the outside edges of the slots where the nuts were installed, and sanded them down very flat - the nut shows through slightly, but the painted hull should not show them, so all will be well.

IMG_7855.jpg

And here are a couple of shots of her skeleton (bulkheads still dry fit) on the building board. Thanks for stopping by and any and all comments, questions or (constructive) critiques are welcome.

hamilton

IMG_7856.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

Sorry to hear about your injury Hamilton - hope all goes well with recovery. Nice to see you back working on Bluenose.

Thanks for the comments and the sympathy Steve and Grant!

hamilton