what is this wrapping called.......

I'm looking to replicate the wrap that is on the top, curved section of the ladder in the attached reference photo.

I got the coxcombing figured out, just can't figure out this other section......Looked on line, but with my limited knowledge on this, I'm not getting anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-5034-0-61066000-1461204004_thumb.jpg 

post-5034-0-89107700-1461204063_thumb.jpg

Neal DeConte

Rhode Island

COMPLETED: 35" Orca Boat movie replica, first wooden/scratch built boat

Hervey Garett Smith's Marlinspike Sailor will tell you all you need to know about this stuff. Best book on fancy knotwork for beginers I've ever seen. Shows in simple drawings how to do much of what you'll need to know to rig most simple sailing vessels and do some pretty fancy stuff besides.

Neil,

If your goal is to reproduce the wrap on the curved member in the foreground in your first photo, without concern for what it's called, maybe I can help.

Look at the wrap that is directly in front of the one in the background - you can see it is separated into 2 - three strand wraps.  So try this:

- Starting from the left, with 3 strands, go over, around and back under, and tuck through and pull over to the right.

- Now, go under, around and back over, and tuck through, and again pull to the right. 

- Dress the strands so the wraps and tucks lie flat, and close together around the tube so it looks like 6 strands, like the next wrap to the left.

If you study the photo for a bit, I think you can see how it's done better than my trying to put it into words.

Richard

Richard

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hervey Garret Smith's book provides a few elementary fancywork knots and is good for beginners. The Ashley Book of Knots is entertaining and "approachable." It's by far the best for one wanting to learn how any knot is tied without starting with the simple forms and building up from there or having any command of the nomenclature, while at the same time quite encyclopedic. Hensel and Graumont's Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Ropework is the definitive scholarly encyclopedia which technically describes every knot invented, at least until the time of its publication, but assumes, as the various categories of knots are covered, that one "knows the basics" and understands the nomenclature. Ashley will tell you the name of the know and give a drawing with step-by-step instructions on how to tie it with arrows and dotted direction lines. Hensel and Graumont will show you a photograph of the knot with it's name and describe it technically without the "step-by-steps" instructions, assuming that the reader has read the previous discussion of the simpler versions of that particular knot type and can build upon them to tie the more complex derivitives. The more academic Hensel and Graumont book may be of greater interest to the historic ship modeler, and particularly one who lays up their own scale rigging line, because it contains a detailed discussion of the history of cordage and its use and manufacture. 

Ashley's is apparently now in the public domain and is available for free on line at https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots/page/n19

Edited by Bob Cleek