Kalavente by Keith Simmons - FINISHED - An Elven prayer ship

I decided to try a more advanced style of a hollow hull and as usual with no specific theme in mind..lol. I started with some scrap pine and ran it through my table saw at a 22.5 bevel. Then just started to to glue them up to a 33.5 degree keel.

At the water line I reversed the angle and extended the hull to a desired deck width. Once that was done I added cross members for the decking and strength, ran the Cherry decking and sat back looking for a theme. Then it came to me, a Timber Framed sterncastle and of I went creating an Elven Prayer Ship. Silly I know, this stuff just comes to me...lol.

The ship is made of just Pine and Cherry, and the final design is still evolving, hope you like the end result and the " hollow hull " evolution. Thanks for looking...:)

post-24231-0-13423200-1461485115_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-53454900-1461485137_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-03163100-1461485211_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-92125300-1461485500_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-37741800-1461485530_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-50984900-1461485551_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-05377400-1461485914_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-07211800-1461485945_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-66374000-1461485963_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-88143300-1461485982_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I think it's like a mission ship.......or perhaps a ferry {imagination and dream inserted}.   I've played a few roll player games that involved elven lore....kinda contradicts the dictionary description.......but anyone who has played the game Divine Divinity....the game defines them as a race.   as depicted,  elves are mischievous......such as the fabled Loki.   I'm sure Keith has a concept going  ;)

I like your use of shapes here Keith........well blended together with the use of angles.   the deck layout is very unique.   really looks super! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the comments, I envisioned the Kalavente ( Ship of Light ) as the Quenya ( a race of Elves ) way to cross Lake Evendim on a spiritual quest to pray to Tarannon ( Lord of the Gate ) on the summer solstice....:)

Thanks Popeye and by the way, my Bernese mountain dogs' name is Loki...lol

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I was going to write a scenario such as that!   figured I'd better quit while I was ahead  :D  :D    yes.....there are many factions of elves.......woodland elves,  etc.........I would imagine that there was a community that lived near water.

"Sheloi !"  {elven greeting}........you are one imaginative Tellor {human} !  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I was going to write a scenario such as that!   figured I'd better quit while I was ahead   :D   :D    yes.....there are many factions of elves.......woodland elves,  etc.........I would imagine that there was a community that lived near water.

"Sheloi !"  {elven greeting}........you are one imaginative Tellor {human} !   ;)

I recently binge watched the Lord of the Rings series and got inspired. Think I'm going to build an Elven dock to display the ship...;)

Hanta !  ( Quenyan thank you )

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

On the  misty morn of the Summer solstice the Quenyan priests gather at the shore of Lake Evendim to board the Kalavente for the annual crossing in prayer to Tarannon,  Lord of the Gate.....:)

post-24231-0-61789700-1461524929_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-45104500-1461524959_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-96065900-1461524972_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Nice build!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

she looks awesome!   very fitting display  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• The title was changed to Kalavente by Keith Simmons - FINISHED - An Elven prayer ship