HMS Sovereign of the Seas by RedDawg - Model Space - Scale 1:84 - 17th century

Hello ,it's been awhile since I last posted. But I've still been busy on my Sovereign. A little here and there as the nights and energy allows. Summers been a bit hot this year and being 57 and still doing construction I'm going alittle slower by the time I get home. Still the work goes on. I have to admit that I've been watching others more than building,looking for ideas to add to the detail on my ship. I did not like the way my gunports looked so I ended up removing all the gunports that I had already glued into place and going a little larger. Now they look better. I had the idea of framing them in with a bit of an edge protruding out. The next day while looking around the forum I found a Sovereign with the same type of gunports. They looked real good. So as you can see I started down that path. The one port is just stuck in to show the start of my frames. They are just started, I still have to finish shaping the outer frame. I plan to round off the outer edges then install the inner frames. Then I'll put the completed piece into the port. You can see my jig for the shaping consistent size squares, plus my homemade cutting jig for the pieces to use. Also my miter saw had gotten quite dull so I took one of my scrollsaw blades and made me a saw to use. It actually works better than the other saw. I'm thinking of shaping one to the size of a number 11blade to fit my knife handle.

post-24388-0-84761900-1478051571_thumb.jpg

A small update using my wife's tablet. All my I Pad wants to give me is a black screen. As you can see I've added the black and red paint. I had been putting it off for somereason, but not sure why. Now I'm glad that I have gotten this small part over with. I have also added some inner planking to the bulworks. The instructions did not show this being done but it looked like something I might like. Still a few other trial and error ideas in my head that may also be done. One thing I am going to do is listen to what NBROOK said on his build about how much gets tied off to the rails and sinking the pillars deeper. I've got an idea for that,now just to try it and see if it works. Till later. Michael

post-24388-0-58387000-1478474797_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-80630400-1478474827_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I see that you are happy with the gun ports now ???

Looks perfect to me !

Enjoy and if you have any questions, you know where I'am 

Sjors

• 1 year later...

Hello to everyone. It’s been awhile since I’ve attempted o post anything. I’ve been busy on a few points on the ship, with fitting pieces and then tearing them out again to try another way. As you can see the ships boat has morphed into its own imaginary design. Looking at the work of others really helps the imagination. The ships boat got rebuilt or redesigned during building several times. I’m real pleased with its look.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That ship's boat is really impressive! I like seeing it rigged as that is rarely done. Looks like the time away has been beneficial. :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 1 year later...