Benjamin W Latham by mattsayers148 - Model Shipways 2109 - 1:48

Hello Matt,

I've been following along on your build and just wanted to poke my nose in and say you're doing an amazing job here.  I've got a Ben Latham sitting in queue and your build is loading me up with ideas.  My problem is I have too many things in queue.  Keep up the great work.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Hi Matt! I'm new to the site, but I've been perusing build logs and your work here on the Latham is truly stunning. The treenailing really came off well without appearing over-wrought. And your deck furniture is wonderfully detailed but just softened enough to look like a real work boat. Very impressed!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

I was just looking at your hatch hardware and noticed the corner jointery of the coamings. Is that a lap joint at the top with a miter carved below it? Very cool!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Super nice detail work, Matt.  I'm not about to even try to guess what it's for though.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks CH, Gary, David, Hubac's Historian, Buck, Mark and all those who hit the like button.

I know the hunk of metal looked strange so here's the result of a lot of filing...cleats(the [ shape was so they curve slightly up). The point also make for an easier install.

post-17116-0-97200500-1481825976_thumb.jpg

Added to those are snatch cleats and the eyebolt to finish out the tie downs on the rails.

post-17116-0-67918400-1481825991_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-93289700-1481826018_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-08457000-1481826051_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everyone's support and encouragement..onward!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Ah, cleats !!!

(I was going to guess cleats ... really)

:D  :D

Nice work, Matt.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Very nice work. The use of natural woods and the addition of scratch built components really makes a great model.

Russ

Hey Matt - can you make a good recommendation on files?  I have an old set of X-acto needle files, but I'm looking to replace them with something better.  The X-actos were good for a while, but the more useful profiles lost their tooth pretty quickly.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Thanks Steve, Russ, CH, HH and to everyone who hit the like button.

Hubac's Historian, I picked up a set of ten diamond needle files at Harbor Freight for under $10. They seem to be holding pretty well.

Finished up the fore companion way. And yes, both companionways have removable panels.

post-17116-0-02852900-1482177432_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-39760000-1482177466_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-57662200-1482177581_thumb.jpg

During my installation of all of the cleats and eyebolts, I snagged and broke my wheel, so this is wheel 2.0.

post-17116-0-81762700-1482177680_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Your wheel looks great. It is far and away better than mine at the same scale.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Thanks Russ, HH and to everyone for hitting the like button.

So I bought myself a new soldering iron for Christmas and began on some little projects. The main and fore fife rails were wooden, but I decided to make them out of brass and blacken. Thick pads were installed in the designated spots at the mast holes, later on for the windlass as well.

post-17116-0-85228800-1485383955_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-17167900-1485383973_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-79892400-1485384006_thumb.jpg

Next up are the two bilge pumps. I found the patents as well as an advertisement drawing for these which greatly help in their construction. Even with my new iron, these proved to be quite a challenge. If I wasn't careful enough, soldering one spot would cause catastrophic collapse of the entirety. But after many attempts, the resulting pumps didn't turn out too bad.

post-17116-0-24314700-1485384991_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-95631100-1485384031_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-48443600-1485384041_thumb.jpg

The handles were finished out with a half hitch spiral. And yes, the pump action does function. Thanks again to everyone for your encouragement and support. Here are the patent images.

post-17116-0-47834500-1485384051_thumb.pngpost-17116-0-02929000-1485384066_thumb.pngpost-17116-0-30473100-1485384078_thumb.pngpost-17116-0-14871400-1485384221_thumb.png

Your metal work is very nice. The pumps are amazing. Well done.

Russ

Well done, Matt. Superb soldering. And working bilge pumps!  :cheers:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I think what Eric said pretty much sums it up.....   Keep doing what your doing.  It looks great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Thank Russ, Ken, CH, Sam, HH, Mark and to everyone who beat the like button like a red headed stepchild. Your encouragement and support are greatly appreciated.

Work on the deck fixtures has been progressing along fairly well. Quarter bits, chocks, belaying pins, galley light, smoke stack, seine roller and chain box with 90 fathoms of chain.

post-17116-0-72493500-1487118664_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-40859700-1487118633_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-93737300-1487118649_thumb.jpg

I finally broke down and bought Chapelle's book

The American Fishing Schooners, 1825-1935. An incredibly detailed listing of ships and their parts are of great help. I wish I'd bought it in the start.

So next on the list is the windlass and all it's parts. Thankfully Chapelle's book is quite detailed for this. Onward!

Matt:

Your details continue to amaze. There is a lot to look at. The wheel, smokestack, rollers, and chain are really nicely done. Excellent work.

Russ

Lovin' all the details ... right down to the metal lip on the chain-box !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Beautiful work Matt.  Your metal work is really exceptional.  What are you using to blacken the brass? (sorry if I missed it) - it's very realistic.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks Russ, CaptainSteve, Gary and for everyone who hit the like button.

Gary, I use Casey's Brass Black. I lightly buff out the first dipping, the hit it again and let it sit overnight before I buff it out again. This helps the black hold better.

Sweet work, Matt.  Those details are eye-poppers and put life in her.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the info on the brass blackening Matt.  The product and your technique are going into my notebook.  Thanks again.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

• 11 months later...

I have just started this Benjamin Latham kit. I have build seven other difficult ships, some without any English instructions to accompany very graphic but Italian only labels.

This is in English, but I am embarrassingly unfamiliar with many terms connected with the  hull.

I have decided to ignore them and improvise from the plans and your excellent photographic log.

I am betting that I my planking and double planking experiences will sustaiin me.

I do not plan to paint it. Thanks for your detailed log.

steve pareles

• 4 weeks later...

I am at the sail sewing stage for this model. Anxious to show some sails however 'impressionist' from the other side of the room and rebuild with more supporting accurate parts after that for several years as needed.

Bought my first sewing machine and am consulting build logs for Bluenose.

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/13216-bluenose-by-genericdave-finished-model-shipways-164-scale/&page=8&tab=comments#comment-534475

Cannot find comparable log for Benjamin Latham sails. Hope to follow your progress as time passes.

Looking forward to your every post. Steve Pareles