HM Brig Supply by Dfell - FINISHED - Caldercraft / JoTiKa - 1:64

beautifull neat and tidy work Doug,

I like the ship and rigging in the way you do it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Doug, your build is looking great,if I remember correctly, there was a pc. of 1.25  rope included with the kit, I think it was in a different bag

If not, I'm sure you can order some from Cornwall Model boats.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Ron - thanks for getting back to me. The last few sheet plans are getting harder ..... Have some good rigging reference books which have helped but not on this occasion :) Thought when buying the 1.3 thread it would be good but it turned out to be double the thickness to the 1.0 - so don't know what is going on there....

Did you sort another stand for you Supply? Looking forward to your next build. Doug

Nils ( Mirabell61) - thanks for looking in and your nice words. Was wondering what are you building ?

Just posted this when saw Frank 's reply so edited my reply - Hello Frank - the rope in a separate bag was for the anchor and yes have tried Cornwall and one other but they all deal with the same suppliers. What did you use on your Supply? Anyway how are you - well I hope....

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

Hi Doug, just getting either rimu or NZ kauri for the base if my work mate comes up with it.Any help just ask sheet 6 made me scratch my head a bit.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Doug, I did use the supplied 1.25 rope that came with the kit (1 meter)and blackened it. I had also purchased some Morope that I put to use also. The 1.25 rope was separate from the anchor rope . I didn't use the supplied anchor rope, it was too thick. I used some morope. Thanks Doug for your concern, I was feeling pretty good when I got out of the hospital, but now I'm fighting a cold, man I hate colds :( 

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks Frank - will have another search around and look for this 1.25. Have kept all bits and pieces in a box so I will look more carefully. Thank you and glad other than the cold you are good.

Regards

Doug

Ron - thanks for getting back to me. The last few sheet plans are getting harder ..... Have some good rigging reference books which have helped but not on this occasion :) Thought when buying the 1.3 thread it would be good but it turned out to be double the thickness to the 1.0 - so don't know what is going on there....

Did you sort another stand for you Supply? Looking forward to your next build. Doug

Nils ( Mirabell61) - thanks for looking in and your nice words. Was wondering what are you building ?

Just posted this when saw Frank 's reply so edited my reply - Hello Frank - the rope in a separate bag was for the anchor and yes have tried Cornwall and one other but they all deal with the same suppliers. What did you use on your Supply? Anyway how are you - well I hope....

Regards

Doug

Regards

Doug

Hi Doug,

If you wish, have a look into my (mirabell61) build-log for "HMS Pegasus" swan class...

cheers,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Now finished page 4 out of 6 and started page 5 with the Gaff Boom now attached.

post-673-0-11781200-1385479397_thumb.jpg

Have done Gaff Boom different to plans, thought it was less complicated and was following Petersson's Rigging Period Ships.

post-673-0-27120700-1385479789_thumb.jpg

Also have done Fore topmast stay plus preventer stay whereas kit only has the topmast stay so it required an additional piece on the bowsprit.

When checking on Frank's (Riverboat) Supply on his making of the Traveller noticed he had done the same with the stays...... 'Great minds think alike...' or maybe it's the the other bit of the phrase which I can't quite remember...... :)

post-673-0-56509800-1385479860_thumb.jpg

The kit supplied 1.25 mm thread for the Main Stays I thought looked too thick compared to the 1.0 thread, so used 0.8 (Occre) natural thread dyed with black ink

Where thread is tied off to cleats will at a later stage be adding coils.

post-673-0-41599500-1385479637_thumb.jpg

Overall view...

post-673-0-26489300-1385480615_thumb.jpg

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

Hi Doug,

What a beautiful clean and sharp build this is. Real nice.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

A stunning model Doug, so crisp and clean, worth much more than a "Like This"!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi - a small step forward - one crowsfoot done and some dodgy 'snaking and worming'.....

My main concern was distorting the Stays when tensioning everything tight with the crowsfoot. So once the threading had been done through everything the end with the block was pulled tight and held in a clamp fixed to a stand and then the thread was sprayed with matt varnish and allowed to set. Once unclamped it remained taut so when tied to the Stay very little tension was needed. Well that's the theory  - still got to do the other one to do...... :( Have been using diluted pva glue on all the thread running it between finger and thumb in one direction only - helps to flatten the fluff.

Forgot to mention on last posting have been using ordinary sewing cotton to tie various things such as shroud cleats  - found it better in certain situation for scale.

post-673-0-31346500-1385819888_thumb.jpg

attachment=105559:_DSC0218.JPG]

post-673-0-14240700-1385819540_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-34590700-1385819576_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-25778400-1385819503_thumb.jpg

Nicely done Doug..... she looks GREAT!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work Doug - did the Euphroe blocks you use come supplied with the kit or did you scratch them? I tried to add snaking on my Blandford but quickly gave up - did you use sewing thread or was there light gauge thread that came with the kit? 

Anyway, thanks for sharing - this is really great work

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hello hamilton - the blocks you referred to were scratch built and the snaking thread was Occre brown thread 0.15 which was not with the kit. Have used it elsewhere on the rigging to add some colour here and there.

Thanks for your comments and looking at the build.

Regards

Doug

Some more updates and a query.

The other Crowsfeet done.

Had to make up the rigging at the stern as it was not very clear on the instruction sheet - so it is a bit of a mixture from various books / kit instructions / me.

Some rope coils. These were done I guess the same way as everyone does - a photo showing how. Masking tape folded into a loop - stuck down onto a piece of balsa wood. The thread passed thro a hole with a T shaped pins that I have and wound around the pin - the sticky masking tape helps to hold things in place and glued.

The instruction for Parral Beads and Ribs says - 'The topmast yards are tied to the masts with parral beads (96) and ribs (93) held together with 0.25 thread (the topmast yards are fixed using parrel beads (96) and 0.25 black thread only - no ribs)' ??? Written exactly as instructions whereas the drawings (2 of 6) shows the fore topgallant and fore topsail yards done with beads and ribs and the main two top yards with nothing...... may do the fore topgallant yards only with just beads,

post-673-0-47348100-1386675820_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-52143500-1386675857_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-96780600-1386675696_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-10480000-1386675895_thumb.jpg

attachment=108188:_DSC0237.JPG]

post-673-0-79240500-1386676359_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dfell

Looking good Doug,from here on lots of guess work.I think all of the Supply ships done are a bit differant depending on what other books are used.Good luck with sheet 6.

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug, just wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

• 1 month later...

Getting there.... last page 6/6 now done. Need to do rope coils etc - oars and extra yards strapped to small boat frame  plus anchors fixed to catheads,,,,,and then touch ups.

post-673-0-89428700-1461703854_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-41580200-1461703903_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-35552200-1461703951_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-21763300-1390318010_thumb.jpg

Traveller

post-673-0-64763500-1461704200_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dfell

Beautiful work!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

WOW...

makes me almost a little bit jealous ;)

Really very very nice and accurate

:10_1_10:  Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Doug,

Really good work. I like the slightly different shades in your deck planks. :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

JesseLee - Sailor12345 - maggls_01 - Stockholm tar

Thank you very much for your comments and thank you to all those with the 'like this'.

Thought I would try a grey background as I have only seen photos with white or black. I did want a darker grey but was unable to source it. Used 2 free standing cool light reading lamps that I use to see when building the model and experimented with a wall light that was there which gave a warmer colour on one of the photos.

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, Stockholm tar, as to the shading of deck planks?

Did not mention on last post - where lines were tied off to belaying pins or cleats I changed what the instructions asked for. I liked the lines to be sort of parallel to each other and not crossing over or bending round obstacles - everything went straight from block on yard etc to cleat / belaying pin. Also on the Stays where 2 single blocks were asked for just put a double.

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Some rope coils around all belaying pins that require them - just some around cleats to do although these are being a bit difficult.

Pictures showing some barrels installed plus some spare wood lashed to ship's boat frame - will probably add some more on the other side.

post-673-0-04281300-1391348033_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-85318900-1391348057_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-81919200-1391348079.jpg

post-673-0-15040900-1391348118_thumb.jpg

Thank you for looking

Regards

Doug

Edited by Dfell

I am in awe of your build. Just WOW and WELL DONE!!

I'm in the middle of HMS Mortar Vessel Convulsion, and you've given me a few ideas...thanks.

Couple questions:

1) is the hull color pure white, or that hull tallow or whatever?

2) Did you use any coloring at all on your bowsprit?

Thanks/John

Hi bigcreekdad - thanks you very much for your comments and in answer to your questions -

1) the lower half of the hull was first sprayed with a grey undercoat onto the walnut and then using acrylic white from a spray can with light sanding in between. Finally a matt lacquer

2) all the dowel bits to make the masts and bowsprit were painted with a watered down white with a tiny touch of the yellow orchre from the kit - just enough to tone down the initial colour of the wood.

Hopefully that has answered what you wanted to know - if not will try again . Thanks for looking and now will go and have a see at your build, John.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for looking in and your comments,  Amfibius.

I think I have finally finished !!!

Have made up a deck pump from a combination of one from Caldercraft and an Amati one. Although I still have another one to do I may not fit them on the ship as there is really no space - gets a bit tight. The handle had a bit of walnut strip added both sides and sanded round otherwise it would have been flat brass.

post-673-0-93359200-1392903701_thumb.jpg

Anchors fitted.

post-673-0-80670800-1392903838_thumb.jpg

post-673-0-87864300-1392903879_thumb.jpg

Rounded lump added for the sling to sit on - plus having been very impressed by Beef Wellington's (Jason) serving thought I'd have an attempt on the slings.

post-673-0-27930500-1392904038_thumb.jpg

Final photo

post-673-0-50351500-1392904150_thumb.jpg

Thank you for looking and and all the comments and those on the old site whose build of the Supply helped me get started. Hopefully I may have helped someone in return.

Again thank you

Regards

Doug

Beautifull job Doug i like your rope coils and the extra details you've added,very nice.It was'nt easy given the instructions thats for sure.Ok you can have 2 days off now b4 you start the next one,any ideas yet.I look forward to your next one.