Tempus class 90 & 150 by Keith Simmons - scale 1/32 - Finished

Hi all,

Well, here is another build that is a bit out of my comfort zone but something I had to try. I am building both Yachts at the same time to work out the details on the 90 and apply them to the 150 which I hope to display prominently over my fireplace.. ;)

With some basic dimensions, a scale conversion calculator ( using these numbers as a base line) and some pictures I started by making the deck layouts. The 90 will be 37 1/2" L with a beam of 7" and a draft of 4". The 150 is 46 1/2" L with a beam of 8" and a 5" draft.

As I don't have the classic expertise in hull builds maybe my idea of a floating frame will work, we shall see.Hope everything goes well and I don't disappoint..... :P

Thanks for looking,  Keith

post-24231-0-30303200-1462969887_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-24050300-1462969906_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-32585000-1462969939_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-42633800-1462970362.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Are you talking about extra space left from the absence of the keel?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Making some progress, finally starting to look like something.  After all was said and done the floating frame removal did work. Not sure why that is such a big thing to me, but it was a challenge...lol

Just about ready to place Walnut cabins and run Maple decking.   Here are some progress pics... ;)

Thanks for looking in,  

Keith

post-24231-0-61465900-1463474318_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-76570900-1463474532_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-04502400-1463474550_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-80012800-1463474567_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-35615000-1463474592_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-08777400-1463474608_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-84526300-1463474623_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

A bit more progress on the 90 sloop, cabins set and decking going in. Decided to follow through with the Walnut inlay in the deck, think it will work... :(

Found out that actually working on 2 hulls at once is harder than I thought. In this case it works out better since I won't make the same mistakes on the 150 ketch..... ;)

Since I built one without a frame, I'm going to attempt a pegged timber frame for the ketch. You'd think I would just learn how to do a real hull construction, but I don't roll that way.... :D

Thanks for looking in,  Keith

post-24231-0-62303900-1463495092_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-52643000-1463495109_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Super nice progress Keith!

I love the blue colour you've chosen for the hull. Very nice!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,

I flip flopped on the color, but beginning to like it myself. I sure am learning some new skills on this project such as working in smaller scale, exciting, can't wait to dive into the ketch.... :)

Cheers Mate

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Certainly not hanging about are you Keith!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Certainly not hanging about are you Keith!

Michael

Hi Michael,  

I used to be a piece working carpenter, and guess I never lost the hurry up and finish attitude, but I'm trying...lol

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi all,

Just a little progress report on the 90. Finally finished installing the Maple decking and painting the hull. On to the mast, rigging and detail work..... ;)

Thanks for looking in,    Keith

post-24231-0-33430500-1463836724_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-07469300-1463836739_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-93036000-1463836751_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Nice one.  I reckon you've got the deck planking and deck houses down pat.  Man, they look good.  Great job on the hull, too.

You're on a winner, Keith, for sure...I can't wait to see what you're gonna do with the ketch!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Keith

Nice one.  I reckon you've got the deck planking and deck houses down pat.  Man, they look good.  Great job on the hull, too.

You're on a winner, Keith, for sure...I can't wait to see what you're gonna do with the ketch!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the comment, I'm happy with the deck overall, now if I can just keep from screwing it up with all the details left to do...lol.

As for the ketch, I'm just about ready to finalize the hull, then I need to come up with a few design ideas within the Tempus style.

Thanks again, Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

WOW ! Nice ! great job Keith - love the contrasting wood colors.

Thank you Jack,  I always liked Maple and Walnut together,  Have done many furniture pieces with that combination.  

I think I like these type of ships...... :)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Finally have the ketch hull ready for decking....Yay.....Now that's a hull.... :)

post-24231-0-61805900-1464445890.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Can't argue with that, Keith. She's a beauty, for sure.

Cheers

Patrick

Thank you Patrick

I took some liberties with the shape, was trying to make it as sleek as I could without changing the basic design. Now I want to do the same to the cabin and deck layout.  At least I got one of them to look like it should...lol

Thanks again for the kind words, I do value your opinion.....Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi all,

A quick progress report on the sloop and ketch.

Just a little bit more work on the sloop such as figuring a way to wire the rails, making a wheel and setting the sails....:)

Finally finished the maple decking and started the cabin structure on the ketch.( after 3 attempts I think this is the final design, will be sure once I paint it...

Thanks for looking in, have a great day,   Keith

post-24231-0-21265200-1465047569_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-69492500-1465047587_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-43618100-1465047598_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-86930500-1465047611_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-22555000-1465047624_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Your true skills as trained craftsman definitely shines through, especially with the quality of the joinery and your ability to choose woods which contrast beautifully.

Mighty fine!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Keith

Your true skills as trained craftsman definitely shines through, especially with the quality of the joinery and your ability to choose woods which contrast beautifully.

Mighty fine!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I appreciate your comment, was hoping the ketch would keep it's sleek lines with the addition of the cabin...I think the paint job is going to be critical, nothing to do but go on with fingers crossed....:)

Thanks again and have a G'day mate

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

• 1 month later...

Finally have the Ketch to the final detail stage.  Stairs sails and deck furniture etc....

Thanks for looking in,   Keith

post-24231-0-24026200-1469197485_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-40390500-1469197497_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-48669400-1469197509_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Hi Keith

Amazing.  If truth be told, she's more than a model.  She's a piece of beautiful art.

Love it!

Cheers

Patrick

Ahoy Patrick

Thanks for the comment, she was a bit of a beast but came out pretty close to what I saw in my head..... ;)

Now onto the next one,

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Beautiful work, Keith.  Patrick is right, she is a work of art.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work, Keith.  Patrick is right, she is a work of art.

Thank you Mark, she was the most difficult hull I've tried to date. Now on to something easy, fantasy ship !    :D

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

Absolutely cannot believe how far you came in such a short time, I think you might be like Gesapo? the shoemaker in Pinocchio and have little elves come out at night and assist. I will call you a visionary that's where you were when you started, fantastic work kudos scale 1 to 10 a 15. :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Absolutely cannot believe how far you came in such a short time, I think you might be like Gesapo? the shoemaker in Pinocchio and have little elves come out at night and assist. I will call you a visionary that's where you were when you started, fantastic work kudos scale 1 to 10 a 15. :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  

Hi John,

Thank you for the kind words, I really enjoy the design and building process of my ships and boats, I only use the Elves for painting... :D .

Thanks again,   Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds: