Cutty Sark by Primey - Arkit - Scale 1:78

In regards to creating tiles using copper foil tape, as I don't have a pounce wheel, I notice these on Ebay, has anyone used them? I'm guessing they would do the job and seem good value.

2/4mm Overstitch Stitch Spacing Paper Craft Roulette Wheel

eBay item number:

post-24971-0-42892600-1464567855.jpg

Looks nice!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hello Primey -  

I have used the pounce wheel on my Yacht America and I think it looks pretty good.  I think I've read of a number of people who have used this technique.  My recommendation would be the one that is not the needle point.  Mine looks like the other you show with the light colored handle.  I didn't want to pierce the copper - I even dulled it a little on a sharpening stone.  I pounced from the back and used a hardboard backing.  Too hard and it seemed to want to pierce it, too soft and it didn't have a good definition.

I used 3/4" self adhesive copper tape as seen in this log (post #23).  The tape was scored from the front with a dulled #11 Xacto blade to look like individual plates.  If you chose to use this method, you might want to use tape that is 1 plate wide - could be easier to control.

I see your CS is 1/78 scale.  You could also order the plates that come with the Mantua CS kit - ~1300 individual plates.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

- Tim

Current Builds:  Cutty Sark

Finished Builds:  Yacht America

Thanks Martin,

Wording suggests that the kit is old. 1980's was a good era. Hope I can do it justice. Cheers

Hi Tim,

I did think the dark handled tool looked a bit sharp and would need dulling down. I have purchased both tools and some copper foil tape, my thought at this stage is to make individual plates and affix by overlapping each one- but will do some testing first. 

super looking deck planking  :)    I'm surprised that no one mentioned that you could have planked down to the waterline,  and continued with the copper from there.  you would have had enough kit supplied walnut planking this way.   do you have enough now?   I never heard of the manufacturer.......so far,  it looks like a nice kit.    looking good  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye,

Thanks for the comments, I'm happy with the way it's going so far. Not as precise as some builders but enjoying the challenge all the same.

Probably had enough to plank to waterline but decided to buy some new walnut veneer to cover the hull - the kit walnut veneer wasn't in the best shape. (very frail edges)

I'm going to look at copper foil tape for the plates.

Slow going affixing the veneer at the moment. - you know life gets in the way :D

Very nice work !

Keep on good job

Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Her proud lines appear!

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

• 2 weeks later...

looking very good  :)  if the hull is large enough........I'd copper {even though I've never done it before}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...
:)

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

interesting jig.........with some really nice results!  :)  rails look great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Top hand rail done.

Holes for freeing ports done, not sure of the position, plans don not specify so used the picture off the box as a guide. Painting the frames black. Should look good.

The copper plates I have made so far are a bit NAFF, so have lost a bit of enthusiasm at the moment. Might go back to it later.

post-24971-0-21121500-1469333428_thumb.jpg

post-24971-0-43867900-1469333466_thumb.jpg

very nice work !!!!

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Hello, Primey;  I'm trying to get caught up with everyone;  You're doing very fine work so far.  As your kit has more lavish woods than a life replica, I suppose you should decide if you want the beautiful veneer (an artistic version, which I wouldn't copper) or a more historical version painted and coppered.  (That is the choice we all have to make ;)  Anyhow,  She'll be beautiful no matter what !

Bob

You are doing a great job.  I would be a little on the lazy side and use copper tape.  Then when each strip is on use a dulled exacto chisel and dent it to make a plate.  No rivets,  I did the hull of a Thermopolae years ago and hated coppering the hull. Making my own plates from chopper sheet.  I decided I would try and find an easier method when I finished.  I used contact cement as advised and after about 4 years I pulled out the hull and found plates were falling off.

I was told to try CA the next time around.

David B

Thanks for your comments Bob and David.

I have been struggling with the coppering, not just making plates but trying to visualise the 3 hull colours. The veneer does look good, and the copper plates I've made are "not so good". I am using tape but just can't seem to produce plates that look realistic, maybe using the wrong tools.

looking at the finished model on the box I would say this model is meant to be artistic rather than historical. 

Anyway I'm ploughing on and maybe come back to the coppering later - procrastinate a little longer.

Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow. :D 

Edited by Primey

Hi Chap,

You can choose and I think that your Build thus far is awesome. (Brings back memories.)

I Coppered using the Plates that came with the Mantua kit. (Used CA Glue.)

You can purchase but ensure that you get at least 2,500!!

Alternative, Copper Tape, suitably "Enhanced."

From my perspective, the Plates certainly "Enhance" the build, but, personal choice.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

super job Primey........I'm not sure how long the hull is........coppering is usually supplied in larger vessel kits.   I have the Sergal Thermopylae in 1:128 scale......they show a painted bottom.   I'd really like to try coppering it,  but like you,  I've never done it before either.   I'm not too worried......I have plenty of copper paint  :D  :D    don't beat yourself up too bad .........if not on this one,  shoot for another kit later on.   try a mock test on some scrap,  just to get an idea of how it will look.  I will probably do the same....scale is going to be my biggest hurdle  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a question on the masts, I have seen pictures where the masts recline slightly, maybe at an angle 5 degrees (or less) to the deck, others appear to be exactly 90 degree to the deck. because my instructions are silent on this (and really just show perpendicular) , are there any rules here? I'm sure it has been asked and answered before and I have tried to find/search for the answer, so sorry for a repeated question.

Thanks Primey