SS Stephen Hopkins by schooner - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Liberty Ship

Thanks for the link Nic.

Just out of curiosity, is BlueJacket looking at using 3-D printing for any parts? I know the upfront costs can be eye-watering.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Yes, we have kept a close eye on 3-D printing. From a kit production standpoint, it is prohibitively expensive for not much gain.

However, for the modeler, it is practical. For example, if you want to get nice marine figures in 1/192 scale, shapeways has you covered. Look here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/55GX8HF2S/1-192-us-navy-dungaree-set-1?optionId=61093772&li=marketplace

And here's one in place on the USS Kidd.

IMG_2963.thumb.jpg.24a2806fb85a082f51a114c3fcca1b26.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Final Cargo Rigging

The booms on Hatch nr5 are configured in what was known as a “Wing and Wing’ rig, another variation on the Yard and Stay rig used on hatches 3 & 4. The Wing & Wing had the ends of both booms over the side of the ship, allowing cargo to be worked on both sides simultaneously. One feature of it is that the are no inboard guys - the ends of the booms are just lashed together for support.

100_1961.thumb.jpg.9e5211a6614630832b23531ab85983ba.jpg

100_1962.thumb.jpg.f19d36bb782712e0f2c6bf5f4fa8c0d3.jpg

100_1958.thumb.jpg.f7e10d4da7445ca46c9871fce47b8f26.jpg

100_1960.thumb.jpg.9d5393f8f4d15813f8b4dd23c95bb0b2.jpg

I still have to trim some tag end and add some rope coils. Next up will be the lifelines and PE railings.

Edited by schooner

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Lifelines and PE Railings

The kit supplied PE railings were too thick for me so I used some 1/192 railings from Tom’s Modelworks which I find very easy to work with. The lifeline around the fantail gun platform is brass and thread.

100_1964.thumb.jpg.1b2e7e09d158861cf11c6d52d7d6b536.jpg

100_1963.thumb.jpg.7c74c3ab15630d4a2b3510b6cac73f36.jpg

100_1965.thumb.jpg.2c3dd53417c75070f293e41f6ef4b322.jpg

Next up will be the radio antennas and flags.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Radio Antennas and Flags

I found a 48-star flag and the house flag for the Luckenbach Steamship Co online and copied them to my graphics program, adjusted their size, copied them and flipped one copy, backed each half together and printed them out.

100_1966.thumb.jpg.455f23c74d7eebdb4109bd4767c2cd91.jpg

In order to get the paper to hold furls I used a trick I found on some modeling site. I cut a piece of aluminum foil slightly smaller than one half of the flag. I glued it in place using rubber cement because white glue has too much water in it and it will make the printer ink run. I then placed a length of halyard rope along the fold point, folded the flags and glued them together, once again using rubber cement. The furls were made by folding the paper around a pin, alternating directions.

100_1967.thumb.jpg.dae1841046bc89c1ffde2438ea5e6d38.jpg

100_1968.thumb.jpg.6c44cef40cc97eadcb5359347f819b65.jpg

The antennas are made from some metallic thread provided in the kit, it simulates bare wire nicely.  Both antennas run between the main and mizzen masts and are connected to the coupler tower on the flying bridge. The insulators near the ends of the antennas are just small blobs of white glue built up over several repetitions.

100_1972.thumb.jpg.bdf7b9b3d324479cc261603b5675790f.jpg

100_1973.thumb.jpg.245ff35f86a8740430166d4d3f9b3fa3.jpg

The last thing left to add is the guns and then the big job comes - cleaning and dusting the model prior to casing it.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Thanks Steve,but this can't hold a light to your Vance build.

It amazes me that while they share the same hull the addition of all that superstructure makes the Vance look at least twice as big as a standard Liberty

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Well, she's done. Thank you to all who have followed along, made suggestions and contributed ideas. 

Hopefully I'll be back soon with a lobster boat build that I don't think has appeared here before.

100_1977.jpg

100_1982.jpg

100_1978.jpg

100_1983.jpg

100_1974.jpg

100_1984.jpg

100_1980.jpg

100_1981.jpg

100_1988.jpg

Edited by schooner

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Very nice!  That looks like a fantastic kit.  Great to see subjects other than 18th century British warships with dozens of cannons :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike,

It IS a fantastic kit, so good that I was able to spend my time doing what I like, which is detailing, instead of having to "fix the kit"!

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

She turned out real spiffy, I like the way the rigging turned out on the masts and cranes, a lot of additional details too. A very informative build, thanks for sharing

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

great topic, something slightly different :)   weldone ...

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Thanks for the kind words Ian and Cog, I had a lot of fun with this one, hated to see it come to an end.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Great job on a unique subject Mike.

You have truly made a model to be proud of. Hopefully it is located in a place where it can be admired by all.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 year later...

I don't hesitate to recommend this kit if you are interested. It's big enough to detail but its relatively short height means you don't need a piece of furniture to case it. You can put on as much or as little rigging as you want but all of it is easier than sailing ship rigging. Overall a very enjoyable build.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• The title was changed to SS Stephen Hopkins by schooner - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Liberty Ship