I'm working on a simple solid hull model, which requires some deck planking. The wood strips are rather rough on the edges. What is the preferred way to sand plank edges (these are thin, 0.5mm) - or is it worth doing?

Thanks, Rebecca

- New builder -

First-time builder

Current build: Mini-Mamoli Mississippi Sternwheeler

On the shelf:

MM: Charles Morgan, La Goleta

MW: Ches. Flattie, Crabbing Skiff

Which end, Rebecca?  If it's the exposed, wider side, then after planking use a small homemade sanding block.  Or use scrapers.  If it's the narrow "edge" that butts the next plank, again a sanding stick (or emory board) and just take off the roughness.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rebecca:
Try an emory board for that sort of sanding. Try not to take off too much material though.

Russ

Rebecca,  to be sure that the edges are square, you might want to make a simple base and use the sanding 'block' or file as shown. The block has some sandpaper glued to one (or both) side(s).

This 'cutting base' helps me also to cut pieces to length. Notice I use a stop with a clamp if I have to cut more than one.

tool%2027a.jpg

tool%2027b.jpg   tool%2027c.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I clamp several planks together, like a deck of cards, and then sand the edges all at once.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I agree with Cap'n'Bob's method.  By doing this, you eliminate rounding the edges.  I use the sanding sticks used for filing your nails.  These sanding sticks can be purchased from a Beauty Supply store or at Walmart.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I've had bad luck with my "Edge Strip Cutter".  The blade is mounted too high to keep it from following the grain of the wood.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I've had bad luck with my "Edge Strip Cutter".  The blade is mounted too high to keep it from following the grain of the wood.

Good to know, I've been considering getting one, but if they don't perform well I'll keep using a strait edge and free hand knife.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred