Top sail schooner by Piet - shipyard diorama - scale 1:2000 - Finished

Hello Tim and Capt'n Bob, thanks for dropping in and your kind words and to all who visited and clicked the like button.

Yeah Bob, I have no idea how they got that grain of rice to the wharf.  It's bigger then the supply sloop ;)

Today's installment include a few more pics from where we left off in the last post with the addition of cutting out and gluing on the finishing veneer to the base.

After this was done I decided to add a few more items to the diorama, like it really needed it B)   I'll be showing these additions in next installment, which actually signals the completion of the project.  I'm still sorting out the few pics I want to show, including a few incriminating close-ups.

post-1399-0-53768400-1470187061_thumb.jpg

This and the next pic shows the 35 foot supply sloop and 15 foot ship's boat added.  The ship's boat is actually tied to a post on shore.

post-1399-0-11989400-1470187102_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-24895300-1470187142_thumb.jpg

Here I tried the fit for the lamp globe.  Not bad, plenty of space.

post-1399-0-52747400-1470187174_thumb.jpg

Here I cut some veneer to glue onto the side of the diorama base.

post-1399-0-67568600-1470187198_thumb.jpg

Gluing-up in progress.

post-1399-0-54661000-1470187221_thumb.jpg

Here I have cut-out the top veneer for the base and - - - - -

post-1399-0-42859900-1470187234_thumb.jpg

Here the top veneer is being glued up.  Never have enough clamps.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet

Ok.  Giant matchsticks.  Giant grains of rice.  Huge clothes pegs. And a ginormous globe.

Mmmmm. Me thinks there's some trickery going on here!  Oh wait...nope.  It's just Piet raising the realms of possibilities even higher.

Nicely done, Piet!

Cheers

Patrick

Piet,

A humongous feet (could put that one in my mouth!!) feat, in such a microscopic diorama ... It's ... breath taking ... and nearly impossible to believe. You did it!!! Congratulations, it looks a zillion ...

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Piet,

What the others have said.  Just amazingly beautiful and detailed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello everyone and best wishes.  Thank you Mark, Igor, Carl, Julie Mo and Patrick for your very kind words and of course a heartfelt thanks to all who clicked the like button.

This will most likely be the last post of my effort to make a micro mini diorama.  It's not a Dutch shipyard as Amateur Jan would have liked but I opted for something we could expect somewhere in New England.

Is it perfect?  No, not by a long shot but the main thing is that I learned a lot and had a lot of fun doing it.  There is still that Dutch jacht or fishing boat in a lamp awaiting to do - - - - someday.

Thank you all for visiting and your helpful hints and encouragement along the way.  My next "little" project will be started in the kit building section but I'll also continue with my VOC ship Surabaya.  Gwen would like to see it finished so I can start with her father's ship, the Musi.

Here are a few pics I picked out for you to look at.  

post-1399-0-99882000-1470533849_thumb.jpg

Here I have numbered the various details to annotate what they are.  #1 is the 35 foot supply sloop.  #2 is the wooden dock the sloop is tied to. #3 are two of the ship's frames. #4 are two of the canted frames.  #5 are stacks f hull planks. $6 is a stack of deck planks.  #7 is a 95 foot schooner on the ways in the early stage of being build.  #8 are logs.  #9 is the steam power shed to run the saw with its smokestack.  #10 is the sawmill.  #11 is a stack of freshly cut planks.  #12 is the machine shop. #13 topsail schooner in the stocks close to being launched. She has most of the standing rigging installed.  #14 is the 15 foot ship's boat moored to a pole on shore.

post-1399-0-89845800-1470533946_thumb.jpg

As a reminder, the sails on the supply sloop is from VERY thin cloth packing material of a package with sail cloth Igor uses for his bottle ships he send me.  Thanks again Igor, much appreciated and as you see even the packing cloth came to good use.  Te actual sail cloth will be used for the future build for my planned boat in a lamp, see my signature.

post-1399-0-84417000-1470534071_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-12401300-1470534131_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-08794800-1470534186_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-20514600-1470534248_thumb.jpg]

Here I did a "Patrick" by putting the diorama on the palm of my hand.  This shows how small it actually is.  The width of my palm is 50 mm and the diameter of the diorama is 35 mm.

post-1399-0-17629500-1470534312_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-86624400-1470534372_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-16763200-1470534427_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet

"You've done a Patrick..." - well, how does the saying go?  Copying is the biggest form of flattery (or something like that anyway!).  ;)  ;)  ;)

Seriously though, Piet.  That's a mighty fine piece of work.  A true treasure to behold, packed with detail, atmosphere, charm and majesty.  What's more, it paints a beautiful visual story of how ships were built in those far away years.  

Just marvellous!

Oh, and by the way, I'm definitely in the front row seat for your next mini-marvel.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

No breath ... No words to say ...

Just can not de-attach my eyes from your photos ...

Bravo!!!!!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hello everyone and best wishes.  Thank you Mark, Igor, Carl, Julie Mo and Patrick for your very kind words and of course a heartfelt thanks to all who clicked the like button.

This will most likely be the last post of my effort to make a micro mini diorama.  It's not a Dutch shipyard as Amateur Jan would have liked but I opted for something we could expect somewhere in New England.

Is it perfect?  No, not by a long shot but the main thing is that I learned a lot and had a lot of fun doing it.  There is still that Dutch jacht or fishing boat in a lamp awaiting to do - - - - someday.

Thank you all for visiting and your helpful hints and encouragement along the way.  My next "little" project will be started in the kit building section but I'll also continue with my VOC ship Surabaya.  Gwen would like to see it finished so I can start with her father's ship, the Musi.

Here are a few pics I picked out for you to look at.  

attachicon.gif20160726_102411.jpg

Here I have numbered the various details to annotate what they are.  #1 is the 35 foot supply sloop.  #2 is the wooden dock the sloop is tied to. #3 are two of the ship's frames. #4 are two of the canted frames.  #5 are stacks f hull planks. $6 is a stack of deck planks.  #7 is a 95 foot schooner on the ways in the early stage of being build.  #8 are logs.  #9 is the steam power shed to run the saw with its smokestack.  #10 is the sawmill.  #11 is a stack of freshly cut planks.  #12 is the machine shop. #13 topsail schooner in the stocks close to being launched. She has most of the standing rigging installed.  #14 is the 15 foot ship's boat moored to a pole on shore.

attachicon.gif_MG_2092.JPG

As a reminder, the sails on the supply sloop is from VERY thin cloth packing material of a package with sail cloth Igor uses for his bottle ships he send me.  Thanks again Igor, much appreciated and as you see even the packing cloth came to good use.  Te actual sail cloth will be used for the future build for my planned boat in a lamp, see my signature.

attachicon.gif_MG_2095.JPG

attachicon.gif_MG_2093.JPG

attachicon.gif_MG_2097.JPG

attachicon.gif_MG_2102.JPG]

Here I did a "Patrick" by putting the diorama on the palm of my hand.  This shows how small it actually is.  The width of my palm is 50 mm and the diameter of the diorama is 35 mm.

attachicon.gif_MG_2107.JPG

attachicon.gif_MG_2103.JPG

attachicon.gif_MG_2108.JPG

Cheers,

Fantastic work Piet,

that shipyard diorama looks so sweet.... :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

oh ...my Piet........the diorama came out really super!   such a cool looking project  ;)    WOW! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow!!!  goes for me also.  A small but incredibly detailed feast for the eyes, Piet.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Piet,

I am giving your diorama an enthusiastic 2 thumbs up. Very nice work.... :dancetl6:

Will be watching for your next project,   

Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Thank you all for your most gracious accolades, I am truly deeply touched with your generosity.  All of us modelers push ourselves to do better because of the support we get.  This has been indeed a very enjoyable challenge for me and am glad all of you like it. 

The boat or ship in the lamp will have to wait.  First I have to draw up the plans but most importantly the strategy in how to shove a boat that's much wider then the opening into the lamp.  However, i do have some ideas.   But, I'm sure that several experienced ship in bottle builders can help me with ideas.

Now I deed your help in how to put the words "completed" or "finished" on the title of this project.  Forgive me for my computer ignorance, I'm an old airplane man, not a computer wizard.  Also, how do I move this log to the completed section in my signature and "hot link" it??? 

Gwen and I wish all of you happy and rewarding modeling.  I hope to see you all in your shipyards.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, wonderful build in a bulb and it does look like you had fun building it!

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

The boat or ship in the lamp will have to wait.  First I have to draw up the plans but most importantly the strategy in how to shove a boat that's much wider then the opening into the lamp.  However, i do have some ideas.   But, I'm sure that several experienced ship in bottle builders can help me with ideas.

Hi Piet!

I think that here there is a sufficient number of builders SIB, who will are happy to share with you to all the secrets of this kind of the modelism.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Thank you Steamschooner, Carl and Igor for dropping in and I almost forgot to thank all who clicked the like button, thank you!!

Yes Igor, I am counting on all SIB folks, I'll let you know when I start.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Absolutely fabulous.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you Ken, Capt.n Bob and Lawrence for your very kind approval of my micro effort, it's very much appreciated.  Thanks to everyone who clicked the like button.

Now I really have to concentrate on actually working on my Surabaya ship.  But I also will do a small kit in the kit forum, perhaps starting a few days from now.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I've been on the road Piet so it is a belated congrats for a magnificent effort - that is a great diarama especially at that scale.

Take a bow 

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you Pat and Jan for the compliments and ggrieco, Hyposhagma and NJWUACK, thanks for liking my diorama effort.

Yes Jan, I really need to get back to the Surabaya ship.  I have made the lines drawings for the ship's boat and sloop.  Now I am contemplating whether to us the plug method or plank on frame.  I am also toying with the idea to make another lion carving.  I have made a few sketches for a better face expression.

I thought to make the boats and carvings before the rigging starts for better access for them.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

There is a third way of doing your ships boat. I used it for my boat.

It used to be in the buildlog of Chuck Pasarro (Mayflower I think it was). You can use a bread and butter way of building the hull, which you can then detail with planing on the outside, and frames on the inside. I think i made a couple of pics of how I did it (quite early in my pW -log.

But then, as you do shipyards at scale 1:20000, i gues a fully frames boat is no problemto you :)

Jan

Hello Jeff, thanks for the compliment and looking at my little diorama.  Yup, a ship in a bottle or in my case a 6 inch diameter lamp, is in the plan.  I have changed my mind on the type though.  Instead of a VOC Jacht I plan on a Dutch fishing boat.  Spelling of jacht is Dutch for yacht but it means  to hunt or "hunter,"   As I have mentioned to Igor I'll be calling on all you SIB folks for assistance.  

Hoi Jan,  well perhaps you are right in just going for the POF method and thanks for your confidence in me.  Making a plug takes a lot of time and then having to worry about releasing the framed hull from the plug without damaging it.  I made the dinghy for my 019 sub also POF and it worked out okay.  The Surabaya scale is 1:85 and it looks like the frames will be around 1 mm wide, although I can cheat a little and make them 1.5 mm.  They will be in three pieces, a floor and futtocks on each side.

The plan is cutting bulkhead type pieces so I can bend the futtocks around them to shape.  But I'll try to hunt for your method as well as Chuck's.  Any helpful hints I can gather is welcome.

Choice of wood for planking will be in cherry to match the hull and will be lapstrake. 

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Fantastic work Piet. You can almost hear the water running by and see the brids in the tree. I look forward to seeing your next project.