H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Ainars Apalais - 1:48

16 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Hey Ainars, 

Can you share a bit more about your cannons and where/how you sourced or made them?   They look great, and that surface character looks very real.   Stunning work, and great finish on everything.  What did you use?  

Hi Justin

Regarding the cannons, I decided to go the easy way- bought already made. For the next model I will try to make them by self as new interesting challenge.:)

From my memory"Caldercraft" was manufacturer for them. From package they coming as polished brass finish.

I just applied one coat with black primer spray. After that 2 cots with black enamel/mat paint. Only for paint I use brush to create more rough finish.

For all wood parts I use Wipe-on poly/clear satin/minwax finish.

I apply 3 coats and sanding between them with high grade/600,100,2000/sanding pads.

Looks like anyone have different approach how to finishing they models. But the way how I did it satisfies me, and I think it looks pretty good.

In any case, I hope the information above will help you build your model, that already looks beautiful.

• 1 month later...

Brian,

If you'll go to the second page of this section and scroll down, there's two builds... one from UWEK and the other from Scottacus.   Those would be the closest thing to an instruction manual.   For "variations on a theme" as to how others have done, look for the word "completed" in the title. 

Those would be your best bets.  Once upon a time before the Great Crash, there was an area that had info on "how-to".... sadly it's off into cyber space never to return.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, bdgiantman2 said:

Thanks for the info, Mark. I finally found the links after a lot of looking. And discovered that I have saved the information that I was looking for several years ago on my USB stick. Silly me, I should have looked there first since I have a file about Triton on there.

I've done that myself a few times with both backup drives and USB sticks.  <sigh>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)