HMS Leopard by toms10 - FINISHED - 1:85 scale POF/POB

Starting to put the rope coils on the belaying pins. Seems like this phase will take a while between making about 150+ coils and then placing them. 

These are on the port bulwark on the forecastle. 

This pic is just aft the main mast

828ECFE5-DC95-400B-90B0-8F42A3353827.thumb.jpeg.8b1a54d470801c7e3f9b56a0c19cff2f.jpeg

Really trying to put some time towards finishing in time for the show. The last big hurdle is mounting the mizzen sail, gaff and boom. Also still need to figure out the belaying of those lines. Tick tock  goes the clock 😜. Shouldn’t be a problem but I need to stress about something. 🤣😜

Tom

1CA39D80-4194-4093-BF7F-FB6AB29E4FF3.jpeg

They look very good.  The coils hang from a loop that goes over the belaying pin.  This looks correct.  The coils themselves hang from the pin rather than being over the belaying pin.  Also, you show the coil hanging as an oval.  This is very natural.  Some have a tendency to show rope coils as a circle like a cowboy's lariat.  If the coil is laying on the deck, it would be a circle, but handing, rigging coils, other than very thick lines like anchor hawsers, drape.  You can see this in photographs on the various replica ships.  In summary, your coils look great.

Tom

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

13 hours ago, toms10 said:

Really trying to put some time towards finishing in time for the show. 

Tom

I'm hoping that, regardless of your progress, you will bring the ship to the show. There have been plenty of entries in the past that have been "works in progress". So, dear Tom, completion is not a requirement.

Another Tom

22 minutes ago, TBlack said:

I'm hoping that, regardless of your progress, you will bring the ship to the show. There have been plenty of entries in the past that have been "works in progress". So, dear Tom, completion is not a requirement.

Another Tom

Hi Tom,

I will be bringing it regardless since it is getting really close to finished... which is the reason I need to finish it.  Kind of puts me in a catch 22 situation as I would much rather show something completed to someone than explain what is missing.  It is just a whole lot easier.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Well the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brightly. After putting a lot of hours in the past couple of weeks I am ready to call my Leopard complete.  🍾

The journey was a bit long but was worth it in the end. Being my 2nd model and first scratch I expected it to be long but 4 1/2 years?  I would say a third of that was spent thumbing through reference books and a few breaks for weeks at a time.  Thanks again to all my MSW friends and my fellow club members at Connecticut Marine Modelers Society for all the help and advice. 

Here are a few pics of her all completed. Now I just have to build a base and case for her. After that I plan on taking some time to complete the 9000 piece puzzle I started but stored away a year ago. My next modeling adventure will be the Charles W Morgan whaler which is docked only about an hour away from me at Mystic. I hope to start that when the cold weather sets in. 

873860CC-AE3D-4A03-8A40-C63899EC1563.thumb.jpeg.478c0b1c7ce1e8dd49617a01507f6cd6.jpeg

DABA9EA2-F7C7-4031-A02A-EB8931884459.thumb.jpeg.07f2fa8d00d49d300284b090e32e4942.jpeg

293402E7-CFFA-41DC-8A22-AD0B99A0FAF8.thumb.jpeg.afe54139788e59ebe3d04019e1112c06.jpeg

B4DB9D14-5712-4F12-AC43-201EE42C759D.thumb.jpeg.f224c470eb916384c0c4fc093e0c951e.jpeg

FD1758B3-AB5A-4B71-90B3-484B21FDD1EB.thumb.jpeg.27c08217f90f4dc1ddbfd5475c5f1186.jpeg

D73EDA2F-DAB3-4D20-BB98-7AF1B31B2C02.thumb.jpeg.e6815f5fa5566051175f6918ad7a4df8.jpeg

D5823B6E-9470-4F79-9E05-3465F3C56D1C.thumb.jpeg.510f909d201117d04ac1de55dba65974.jpeg

D86D97BA-A929-49AA-8CE4-E3BEFDB82F91.thumb.jpeg.dd60ec82d854aafdebb05b1177e03044.jpeg

E062CC38-964E-46BB-AB72-A3C0B1C90691.thumb.jpeg.1e49cfda06817e8a3d79431daae03304.jpeg

A1042A41-19DF-46F9-96B8-9F5FB34EF96F.thumb.jpeg.12057fb14a4c48922515902a0cfa75d9.jpeg

Thanks again to all,

Tom

Beautiful and precise work, Tom.   Do post a picture when have in a case.    BTW, 4-1/2 years isn't bad considering research, problem solving, etc., not to mention real life getting in the way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

WELL DONE, TOM! . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

She's looking superb, with the sails filled with all the available wind!  When I look at mine now it almost looks unfinished - - - the sails make a big difference.

And 4 1/2 years? . . . mine took me 9 years although there were a few lengthy lay-off periods.

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Hi Jack & Tom,

Looking forward to seeing you on a few weeks at the New London conference.  I will be bringing her there to show.  I hope she looks as good in person.

Tom

3 hours ago, Bluto 1790 said:

WELL DONE, TOM! . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

She's looking superb, with the sails filled with all the available wind!  When I look at mine now it almost looks unfinished - - - the sails make a big difference.

And 4 1/2 years? . . . mine took me 9 years although there were a few lengthy lay-off periods.

Hi JIm,

As far as sails they do change the way everything looks.  I think they are necessary if you are doing a diorama.  Not so much if just displaying a model. They added a few months to the build and added to the complexity of the rigging lines.   I may just do furled sails on the Morgan I will be doing just for something different.  We will see when the time comes. 😄

Thanks for the support and kind words over the course of my build.

Tom

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Beautiful build.  You did a fantastic job on building this model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 4 weeks later...

The Northeast Joint Clubs meeting was yesterday.  About 100 models were on display, 48 of which were entered into the Jim Roberts Competition.  These were generally fantastic models.  I'm sure that everyone who follows this build load would want to know that HMS Leopard won the Jim Roberts Award at the meeting.  This competition is sponsored by the Ship Model Society of New Jersey (SMSNJ).

The Jim Roberts Award was created in memory of Jim Roberts, one of the founders of the Ship Model Society of New Jersey (then the Ship Model Society of Northern New Jersey).  As a modeler, Jim was noted for craftsmanship, beauty, and attention to detail of this models.  The criteria for this award are designed to identify the model that best exemplifies the standards to which Jim aspired. It is a judged competition and a judge is provided from each of the five clubs that form the conference. 

The Leopard also took the first place award in the Sail Category of the Peoples Choice.

Congratulates Tom on a truly beautiful model that was up against very stiff competition.

Tom Ruggiero

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Thanks Tom and to all those at the conference. The USS Constitution Model Shipwrights Guild did a wonderful job putting together this year’s show. The enjoyment this hobby brings is reward enough and to be acknowledged by your peers just adds to the journey. Thanks again to all those who helped me along the way with this build. It was nice to see everyone  and the models in person. 

Tom

Congratulations Tom.  Very well done on the model and very deserved n the award.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I finally was able to finish the display case. Right now it is just sitting on an old table in my modeling room. We are about to start refurnishing some of the rooms in our house i.e. rugs, couches, bedrooms and what ever else pops up. These projects tend to morph into much more than you originally plan. 🤔Once everything is back in order I can put the case in it’s final home.  Here are some pics although the lighting was not to great. I plan on putting a couple of wireless light bars on the top glass plates to help with illumination. 
00D0FD99-C38A-4B29-803B-D3EB62CBE42F.thumb.jpeg.ebe24326f00cc19d4f3486c7010492b8.jpeg

33ECCE92-4B3B-41E9-8848-5F01E681CAA3.thumb.jpeg.d14de36aef6f8f2080ffcf7a38fab701.jpeg

A0B0D6A8-596D-41EA-B383-F143630A904E.thumb.jpeg.1c718741eb7e803547310d86ffdd4059.jpeg

A7065482-9407-469F-BDB2-0E9D5821AE16.thumb.jpeg.bdc02a21cff0b6b0b6bf0f3cfded4ad5.jpeg

1E3AD331-9DF6-4D16-9BFB-7B475BA33E20.thumb.jpeg.0b5386975d178da178119e7280506e75.jpeg

Now I am going to attack a birthday present from 3 years ago, a 9000 piece puzzle of the battle at Algiers. I think it measures approximately 5ft by 7ft if I remember correctly. It will make a nice wall hanging in my modeling room. 

Hopefully with a little help from my friends I can get the puzzle done by Christmas and then get started on a scratch build of the Charles W. Morgan.

Thanks again to everyone for the support during my Leopard build. 

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Tom on your winning BOTH of the NE Show awards!  Your model is stunning, beautiful. You've done an excellent job on the case too.

Good to see you personally at the show.

Best,

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Simply a beautiful work love, labor and art. Congratulations, Tom, all the accolades and awards you have received are most deserved.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

That looks awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me