HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

She looks stunning Timmo, the "small" details make such a huge difference, definitely worth the extra time and effort I'm sure it took.  Combined with your precise bulkhead painting its looking wonderful. The colour combination of the wood and the blue/red/black is a real eye catcher.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Timmo

A great looking Granado on the make! I like the alterations you made.

The Granado kit is for me still a turning point in our hobby. Never before did I see a kit of this quality with such good instructions. There is still room for improvements but just ‘out of the box’ the ship is still a splendid build of a fine looking vessel.

Cheers

Peter

Been so long since the mortars were finished I'd almost forgot where they were. Just a test fit but had to make the kappppoooowwww!! noises once they were in. Makes the boat look rather sinister...

post-271-0-23881000-1370677935_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-27187400-1370677968_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-52827100-1370677986_thumb.jpg

Hi Wayne, these latest photos show just how clean and crisp you build is, fantastic. The morter looks great.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Here's an indication of the quality of this kit. The fish davit cleat pictured below has some rather nice rounded molding work straight from the box. I was expecting some file work would be needed to achieve the profile from AOTS Granado but it's already there. Brilliant.

post-271-0-73795500-1371361977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

The chimney is next. It's a cast white metal piece that's fine on its own but if you've got a spare couple of hours while the admiral is at work and the children play happily on a rainy day then its worth improvement. Winter is here in that my iPhone forecast says rain until well into next week but its' still warm enough to work in the concrete floor garage/modelling space (carpet under the desk).

Here's what AOTS Granado advises. I'm a bit of a hobby cook and am fascinated by what it would be like to cook for upwards of 100 men and then a separate meal befitting gentlemen for the captain and officers, on one of these beasts. But you can only see the chimney flue of this vessel.

post-271-0-74421000-1371362559_thumb.jpg

The main addition is a flue cover. And brackets holding it. Presumably it stops wind and wave coming down the chimney and drowning the cooker as the foc'sle was very exposed.

The brackets and rods were added from lead foil and wire respectively and the flu cover itself was cut from sheet styrene from my plastic modelling days.

post-271-0-58322900-1371362756_thumb.jpg

Here it is in place

post-271-0-55589300-1371363210_thumb.jpg

Wider shot of the foc'sle here. The timber heads have also been added. Paint on the chimney is drying so completed pic to follow soon.

post-271-0-79301000-1371363257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Finished chimney flue. Probably should have airbrushed it but that bit of gear is off on loan and 4 coats of brush paint did the trick. Hard to see on with artificial lighting in these shots but I rub some scraped graphite off a pencil onto larger metal parts like this with a finger. I realise painted ironwork on the real thing would be fairly flat black but I like to display the differences in materials on these vessels otherwise the iron chimney looks the same as the painted wood. The graphite catches the edge and makes the surface look a little more metallic.

post-271-0-69732900-1371368068_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-12090600-1371368102_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-93450300-1371368118_thumb.jpg

Hi Timmo,

I've just been browsing through your build and I must say excellent work so far. I do like how you are adding your own touches to to the standard build like the rails and the flue cover I will keep that in mind for my future builds

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

• 5 weeks later...

Very nice build indeed. I have been mulling over whether to buy this kit - your photo diary has given me the inspiration to do so. Perhaps I might even pluck up the courage to post my efforts!

Craig

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Thanks for the kind words all.

Craig, its been an enjoyable build so far so good luck with yours.

On to some more building after an absence of a few weeks...

The kit would have you knock up the windlass from some ply laid over walnut centres. This doesn't look too flash and also appears extremely fiddly. The chances of me staining it anywhere near the colour of the rest of the walnut timbers is also next to zero after I've lathered glue on.

post-271-0-49626100-1397293058_thumb.jpg

The windlass stock was two lengths of 5mm dowel glued together and sanded back to 8mm square. The octagonal section was then marked on and sanded with aid of a bench sander for a consistent angle. This could be done By a steady hand.

post-271-0-18230500-1397293073_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-06336800-1397293100_thumb.jpg

Shaped stock next to kit centre section for comparison. The centre action is smaller due to the 1mm ply which would take it to full 8mm width.

post-271-0-32208600-1397293115_thumb.jpg

The centre was just the right size to mark the end of the taper on the windlass. It was stuck on temporarily and starting marks for the taper added in pencil.

post-271-0-19554900-1397293130_thumb.jpg

Taper sanded in. It's just a matter starting at the pencil line and reducing the material to the width of the marker section.

post-271-0-05168900-1397293153_thumb.jpg

The windlass pieces with end width markers removed and cut to length. This worked out well enough that it could have been done in one piece but the lack of a lathe meant turning the axle would have been difficult so out with the saw.

post-271-0-96065100-1397293140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

• 2 weeks later...

'The path' you say Andy - we'll see. i think I've got at least another year on his majesty's bomb vessel Granado so plenty of time to dither over what to do next.

The belfry was held in place with rubber bands while the glue dried. The belfry is made up of ply laminated together which gives some unsightly lamination lines. The top of the belfry was painted a 'walnutty' colour to hide it. I'm not convince over how it looks and might paint the top of the belfry black at a latter stage- we'll see...

post-271-0-90089700-1397293559_thumb.jpg

Finished windlass and belfry installed. The ship's bell is white metal painted. I hollowed out the base but it will never be seen unless you peer through the first open gunport from below the waterline. . A least I know it's there!

post-271-0-78236600-1397293615_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Really nice work Timmo - just perfect. A great looking model and deck detailed to the best degree.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Good suggestion BE. I'll take a look.

Alistair. One more post and its up a rank for you. Go on, tell me the chiefs will win tonight and you are there!

Chiefs by 12. Ha. Hurricanes aren't about - I'd support the Mooloo's over the Crusaders any day when my team is gone burger.

Have to go on Stuff now to see how its playing...

Cheers

A

Cheers

Alistair

1 point will do. Congratulations - looking forward to the final. Go the Chiefs!!!

Cheers

Alistair