HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

I forgot to ask you, and since it came up in my log, and we are both in the home stretch, any plans for your next build?

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I might be overly optimistic but at this stage I'm hoping to go scratch build.

It'll be a plank on bulkhead job as fully framed still looks like dark magic to me.

While Granado is a great kit it has made me realise how many of the kit pieces I just wanted to improve and that's the bit I enjoyed most. Also I want to use boxwood on the next build and can't stomach the cost of a kit and almost the same again to replace the timber.

Options (both 1/64):

-A cruiser class brig using NMM plans and the book The Brig Irene.

-An Enterprise class 28-gun frigate based on NMM and Shipyard plans and contemporary paintings. This is the preference as it's a nice size and I'd like something with a gun deck and stern lights. The plans are reasonably detailed but it will require some redrafting of bulkhead locations and shapes from the Shipyard plans to allow correct planking lengths on the hull. Also the shipyard decorations are totally wrong.

post-271-0-73684200-1425979549_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-42377600-1425979660_thumb.jpg

Chuck's cutter Cheerful would be ideal but It's too soon for another cutter after my Sherbourne.

Timmo,

the rigging so far Looks very nice, Keep it up....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very, very nice choices Wayne. 

Well, you know my thinking too on kits, as I said similar in my own log; I'm also tired of throwing so much away. That being said I have some trepidation about lofting plans... I've always been a huge fan of the Cruiser class and that's one of my thoughts for the next build as well. I'd love to do it without resorting to the Caldercraft kit...

Do you have the Birg Irene book? My understanding was it was long out of print (English) and fetching a small fortune used. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I do have the book Joe. I found a copy in good condition on a local auction site for about $20. Happy to lend it if you ever need it.

You got sweet deal there Wayne! Wondered if you'd considered Chucks other projects to the Cutter Cheerful,the upcoming Winchelsea?. Of course I'm partial to Cruizers, so you can't go wrong really.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks! I may take you up on that someday if I can't get a hold of a copy. If you havent' already make sure you check out this thread in the research forum:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/1036-cruizer-class-brig-sloops-of-the-royal-navy/

Lots of great information and discussion. Also, when the time comes I have a number of photos of the Irene model in the US Naval Academy Museum I can send to you. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Jason, I had been waiting for Chuck's Winchelsea but it seems to be a ways off yet.

I've had another look at the Irene book today and have warmed to it again as a simpler build for a beginner like me but I've swung back and forth so many times it could change yet again.

I'll likely be bombarding you with questions if I go down that road.

Joe, I remember the link and your pics of the naval museum Irene. It really whets the appetite.

Might still be a generic model but HMS Pelorus did a bit of charting work around the NZ coast and has an inlet down south named after her. I did remark to my daughter Sophie that there was a Brig named Sophie so she thinks that's the one to build.

The book is interesting in that it's got nice line drawings and is packed full of information for a build but wanders off the brig into tangents on other aspects of ship design and naval history. Not a complaint, just an observation as the writer clearly knew his stuff but just needed someone to edit it back on track a bit and make it easy to follow.

As an example there's only one mention of the scale of the plans in the book (1/50) and it's easily missed. With the drawings you've got to check the detail pic you are looking at is really for a cruizer and not something else that's been thrown in there as a general illustration. It's got superb rigging detail and explanation that's been helpful with the Granado build.

Edited by Timmo

• 3 weeks later...

Advice welcome here. I'd served the loops on the main top mast back breast breast etc stays. The problem is it's ended up looking over scale and the loops creep up the mast almost to 2/3rds of the way to the cap and bulge outwards a bit.

Reckon it's too much? Maybe I should redo with simple unserved loops. Thoughts welcome.

Topmast shroud loops.

post-271-0-61826400-1427360051_thumb.jpg

Mainmast top for comparison

post-271-0-13469600-1427360141_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

Hmmm, I'm just slightly behind you, having just shipped the topmasts, shrouds and on the mainmast; no back stays yet. I did cheat on the mizzen, by ganging the stern-most shroud and the back stay, making for a little less bulk there. Maybe use a bit finer material for the serving or even for the stays? I'm not home, but I recall it was .75mm (I think). To my eye it looked a bit heavy and I'm going to go with .5 for all of the back stays. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Thanks Joe, you've confirmed what I thought. It's simply too thick, I'll forego accuracy and maybe double end some shrouds and possibly not serve them to get a better scale effect.

Wayne, very nice looking ratlines.  Have to agree that the loops look just a little bulky.  Did you consider using thinner line to do the serving to keep the same look?  Using regular thread (would need to check exactly what) worked well for me following the dimensions on the plans - I was happy at least.  Nothing like a nice stack of served shrouds/backstays, looks like mine ended about half way up but didn't think it looked too odd...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-43#entry213341

Interesting that you picked HMS Pelorus as a candidate for next build, she was one of the few Cruizers that was ship rigged (at least for a period) so could be built directly from the kit and be authentic.  Also some nice paintings to follow and refer to after the storm.

Stanley3.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

• 1 month later...

Hello to a fellow kiwi. Fantastic build you have going here. Iam glad I stumbled across it.Absolutely magnificent. I will now fpull up a seat and watch the instalments.

cheers Mike

• 2 months later...

A bit of switching between my cruiser project and back to Granado as it gets too cold to work in the garage has resulted in Granado having her standing rigging finished.

Also the very first of the spars is on with the wingsail gaff fitted.

post-271-0-36921900-1436570719_thumb.jpg

Also, I've posted this elsewhere but those with a bent for nautical history might like a story I've done on a local shipwreck - the demise of HMS Buffalo.

post-271-0-03520700-1436570794_thumb.jpg

Image: Paul Deacon

• 4 years later...

Granado is finished! A mere six years after she was started and four years after my last post I've returned to finish her off with the final bits of rigging, anchors and a base.

image.thumb.jpeg.420ac1e9ae548a64ce8141a83809d307.jpeg

The base is rimu timber from an old bookshelf with an edge routed on. I'd always wanted to incorporate the lovely detailed plans of the original vessel from the Greenwich maritime museum.

image.thumb.jpeg.deff49c5e3262c6a4c65051c3554d2ef.jpeg

I copied this at a slightly smaller scale and cut them into sections to arrange the profile, plan view, stern and builders details to best effect underneath the model. This is sanwhiched between two 3mm sheets of acrylic and held down with the screws through the base and into the model. Thin routered strips hide the edge.

image.thumb.jpeg.acd76480f321e6cac3268b9b81ce2cf4.jpeg

The grounded anchor ties the ship to the base visually and fills a bit of a blank space on the plans.

A rewarding project overall. 

image.thumb.jpeg.96950b22f2a649364eca8f123c609f90.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7543e0495583c310ec872907a350deea.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e2153b1c1a1a54f4a96131f3678c4f75.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.33b97e6e60605af9ed1d7817b5542cf7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.42ef4de8b6a353a095488a5146ad8c37.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.37dee09722d2b4a54d84cb3ec9c3cdd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cd9354dc5d06b2e3a3ef74fb30f66011.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2222d880264a867baa139beb5104b3c6.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Congratulations!  Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Now that is stunning, really nice idea on the base, and the grounded anchor is a great touch.  Airing my dirty laundry, the reason my Snake is still inches from completion is because I just can't get round to figuring out options for a display base.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

3 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Now that is stunning, really nice idea on the base, and the grounded anchor is a great touch.  Airing my dirty laundry, the reason my Snake is still inches from completion is because I just can't get round to figuring out options for a display base.

Thanks Jason. Yes, it's hard to go back once you've moved on to another project but with my RC ship Harrier finished (I'll update pics and get some sailing vid)  and also the 1:1 scale canoe that kept me off Granado there were few excuses. The base layout had been in the too-hard basket for a couple of years with no definitive solution until conscious effort with ruler in hand sorted the idea in the space of one morning. Another day or so of work completed it. 

HMS Jason is looking very good BTW.

7 hours ago, jwvolz said:

Great to see her finished Wayne! Love the display idea, it looks fantastic. 

Nicely done!

Thanks Joe. Good to hear from you. 

Congratulations on finishing a fine model - she looks superb on that display base - what a great idea!

Congratulations on completing your Granado.  This is one of my favorite ships and your build log will be an inspiration to future builders of this ship model.  I really like the display base that you made.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Impressive, she looks really great and that stand is really the iceing of the cake.

I have just finished the first planking on my kit and about to do the 2nd. But I am struggeling on deciding what wood to use. What have u used here and do you have any recommendations?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

1 hour ago, Vane said:

Impressive, she looks really great and that stand is really the iceing of the cake.

I have just finished the first planking on my kit and about to do the 2nd. But I am struggeling on deciding what wood to use. What have u used here and do you have any recommendations?

Thanks Vane. The planking is all kit timber so it's some manner of walnut or what passes for it with a household matt oil-based varnish on it. The model has been out on a shelf for a couple of years before finishing touches applied and the hull has lightened noticeably compared to the mortar covers which were in a box and out of all light. I like the tone and guess it'll change over time.

Great work and congratulations! Your build log will help me and others in the future I'm sure, so thank you!

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)