HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Hi Timmo,

Your windlass and belfry look really smart.  My Caldercraft Endeavour was also supplied with a white metal bell so I sourced a replacement brass one from Modelers shipyard but your painted bell looks sweet.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Some small but noticeable items on the hull exterior ...anchor lining, fenders and steps.

post-271-0-27846800-1397293904_thumb.jpg

The kit fenders are ply and have lamination lines down the vertical face which are very noticeable under varnish. New ones were made from walnut stock off one of the kit sheets. Kit part on the right, homemade ones on the left.

post-271-0-82078700-1397293888_thumb.jpg

Likewise the entrance steps have laminations on the top faces. They had a thin veneer of walnut plank added to cover it.post-271-0-05284600-1397293926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Nice job on the fittings. I agree with you, redoing them out of solid wood was the way to go. As you inch your way nearer to completing the hull, any ideas what you will do when you eventually finish her? (I have to ask :rolleyes: )

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Feeling a bit broke at present so unsure what next.

I'm a fan of caldercrafts Diana and there's some nice ones on this site. I really like Chris Watton's Bellona protype and hope maybe it'll reach the market before I finish the Granado. I doubt it though. I'd love to try hand painting the friezes on her.

Then there's always a cross section...

• 3 weeks later...

Timmo,

While I wait on the bulkheads for my kit to arrive from JoTiKa I have made a start on the cannon.

I see you have opted for natural wood for the gun carriages. Did you give any consideration to red ochre?

Thanks

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Very briefly but I've decided to stick with the bare walnut. No real reason apart from the contrast with the bulwark sides. Painted carriages seem to get more common later in the 18th century so I'm likely to build plenty with red carriages down the line.

Hi Timmo,

Following your build with interest. I am thinking of this for my next build. As an ex Hamiltonian, the Chiefs are my Super Rugby team. Good to see them Get up again.

Dave.

Hi Timmo

Solid wood over ply every time. Right choice and very nice work by you on the fenders and steps.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Wayne,

Decided to go with red. The brass caps for the trunnions are giving me a problem. Instructions say use the dome headed nails to fix. But the diameter of the hole in the brass fixture is way smaller than that of the nails. Did you have this problem? If so how did you overcome? I am thinking of making wire pins to fit the hole in the brass and just use PVA to recreate a dome. Will all be hidden under black paint

Will start my log shortly as the bulkheads arrived on Saturday. :)

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Hi Craig

I'm sure red will look great. I lightly stained the ply to give it a uniform colour and painted the exposed ply faces to match. Red would certainly have sorted this a bit easier.

Take a look a couple of pages back in this log for the build of my bow chasers.

I started with nails and you can drill the caps out to width if you are careful. I didn't like the nails as they were too big and used wire bent over into a kind of loop to match the brackets from the diagram in AOTS Gramado- also in this log.

I'm doing the same on these guns and will post some pics when I get one assembled.

Here's what the wood carriages look like for a test.

post-271-0-64282000-1376886489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Hi Timmo,

Following your build with interest. I am thinking of this for my next build. As an ex Hamiltonian, the Chiefs are my Super Rugby team. Good to see them Get up again.

Dave.

Hey Dave. Nice to hear from someone else from the Tron. Go the chiefs!

Hi Timmo,

Having been through your log twice I can only repeat all the other comments on your build.I've only just received my

copy of the AOTS book and it's a great reference for the model.I'm almost commited to trying my hand at a Granado

myself and your build will be a great guide and inspiration.

all the best,

Alec

Thanks Alec,

I bought the kit based on the AOTS book which was in the local public library. Stroke of luck that. I'm sure you'll make a great job of yours. There's plenty of leeway to follow the kit or add extras

A departure from tying rigging for the guns to do something a bit more fun- the stern and other carvings. The cast metal has some nice detail that only comes out under paint. The kit provides a colour scheme which is a bit gaudy for my liking:post-271-0-00681700-1377501183_thumb.jpg

They do suggest bare timber is another option as the historical record is unclear on paintwork.

I tried a bit of simulated timber paint with a light buff colour as a base coat with a mix of 'woody' looking artists oils like raw umber, yellow ochre, some sort of red, burnt umber and white painted over the top.

This was brushed over with a clean brush to removed it from the top surfaces like dry brushing in reverse.

I think the wood effect is a bit much on its own so here's a test with half the background in the blue used on the rest of the ship.

Its very rough and needs a tidy but I like this as it ties in with the blue line on the capping rail so I'll continue in this direction.

post-271-0-47626400-1377501578_thumb.jpg

The completed stern fascia. It's a bit more yellow in this shot. The first is more true to the daylight colour. Close up does no favours! It'll be stowed a while until further down the track when some more hull work is finished and its less likely to be knocked around.

post-271-0-56717400-1377512750_thumb.jpg

The figurehead of Hermes. Again he'll be installed later.

post-271-0-13649400-1377512943_thumb.jpg

That looks superb Timmo. Much, much better than the other representation. Will definitely try this with my stern decorations but you are a much more masterful painter than I.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Timmo,

Your knowledge and mastery with paint is exceptional - you show us just what is possible. Your description makes it sound so simple, where I'm quite sure the reality is far from it - at least for we lesser mortals! I love what you have done with the stern decoration - it looks so much better than the kit suggested colour scheme. I always look forward to your updates, because there is so much to learn here about an aspect of our hobby that is not often covered in other logs. Thanks for sharing your thinking and approach, as well as the end results.

Thanks Grant, Andy, Ferit, Alistair, BE, Juergen and others.

The quarter light windows need the rear filed to ensure they sit over the wale correctly. They were painted up and some of the thin carrier from the etched brass sheet used to flesh out the window frames on these as none are included in the kit. They were stuck on then removed as they made the casting sit about 1mm from the side. Some slots were cut so the frame could be recessed.

post-271-0-52864800-1377594361_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-81326000-1377594413_thumb.jpg

The etched brass window frames were painted and slotted in perfectly over the recesses in the stern fascia with a piece of acetate under each for glazing. I did experiment with some lightly sanded pieces to limit the view through the window but with the interior all painted black the lack of cabin isn't that visible anyway.

post-271-0-02321400-1377594676_thumb.jpg

The stern carvings installed. It's got a capping rail to go over the top and a relief moulded strip for underneath. I've got some left over timber strip from the main capping rail that should go well there rather than the kit supplied brass but we'll see how it goes. There's also extra figures for the side of the stern and some strange little dolphine-esq things that sit on the wale. They are best positioned after the low rails etc are on. In the meantime I did my best to lose one of them tonight but after watching me scratch around on the floor for the best part of 20minutes my wife found it in the shaggy rug within a few seconds of looking.... As wives do.

post-271-0-91452500-1377594727_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-85497500-1377594947_thumb.jpg

very nice, im always looking for your updates

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

That is damn good building. Well done mate, I'm enjoying this.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Lovely work Timmo,

Respectively subit resiting building berth or complete removal of shaggy rugs.No doubt the latter would have

to have approval of 'she who must be obeyed'.

Best regards

Alec

Alec, My own fault for bringing the work into the lounge to rather than building alone like a hermit in the garage.

Anyway, the taffrail was soaked and bent to shape. The kit suggests 4mm walnut but I thinned it down to about 3mm for aesthetics. The lower profile rail was also added from some leftover strip from the capping rails rather than using the brass in the kit. The rail was fattened up by laminating to a 3mm-ish thick piece of walnut. The tape on the stern windows protect them from fogging by the CA glue needed to fix this hard to bend piece quickly. This needed some sanding along the underside and edges with these painted over.

post-271-0-67003000-1397292757_thumb.jpg

Finished result with taffrail painted and decorative rails added. Some of the carvings need a touch up and The side figures will be left until the rest of the hull fittings are finished as they will take a battering when I grapple with the headrails etc. I'm still a fan of holding the Granado between the knees for work on bow and stern.

post-271-0-29258600-1397292869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

lol - i would love to be able to hold my build between my legs, but i would have to dislocate them and move one of them to  another property

lovely work

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat