Triton Cross Section by RedDawg - 1:48

Looking good, Michael.  Red Oak does have a grain problem but it s a pretty wood, in my opinion.  I think once you final sand and put on a finish it'll look really great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Its been awhile since I've posted anything on my Triton. But I've been a little busy on her this weekend. The exterior planking is complete now. And the gun ports are being framed. While framing the gun ports I found out why I should have built a framing jig. While looking at the framing without any planking they looked pretty good. But when I started it work on the ports I found that there was some leaning. It wasn't a hard problem to solve, filing and planking will work. I'm going to stain the lower framing a darker color than the upper framing. What does wipe on poly do compared to a minwax stain? I'm also finding that before I do a full scratch build I'll get myself a few more power tools. As I go along again I'm glad that I chose this over a Triton full build. The lower deck is under construction right now and will be fully planked over but the upper will be more open, so my skills will need to improve. Sometime this month I will also resume my subscription to my Sovereign. Looking forward to it. As y'all can see in my pictures I included one of my Constellation. It was started around fifteen years ago, but got heavely damaged and has sat all this time. Does any one know if a set of plans can be gotten for her? If not there are enough build logs to use. As I was telling my wife that the only problem with this forum is that I've gone from a couple of ideas for future builds to seeing many, many wants and desires. Whoa is me. Thanks guys and gals for all the amazing work that is shared. As I lay in bed waiting to fall asleep I scroll through different logs more than I read now. With all my heart felt gratitude till later, Mike.

post-24388-0-85617300-1470011074_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-42691900-1470011104_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-33146500-1470011233_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-29369400-1470011277_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Looking good, sir.  You'll find that jigs are very important for many things, not just framing.    ;)

As for your Constellation instructions question....  Ask in this area:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/24-wood-ship-model-kits/   You might try emailing AL first.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am slowly building the lower floor of the Triton. I thought that I would show my home made guide for cutting slots. Still more pieces to cut out. I enjoy building by the kit, but this first try at scratch building is a pleasure. I ordered some wood and cannons from the Lumber Yard but I'm not sure if I ordered the right size. I got nine pounders but then they emailed me about nine pounders and nine pounders long. Does anyone what the difference is? I also ordered some rope and blocks from Syren. Well time to get back to building, till later Mihael.

post-24388-0-89185200-1470361828_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-98960700-1470361859_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-35731000-1470361993_thumb.jpg

Mike,

You want the "short" 9-pdrs.   Check the dimensions on the cannon drawings and see if they match what you're buying.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark, it was the short cannons that I ordered. I measured the length of the cannon in the plans then looked at the length of the ones offered. It was by accident that I got the right ones. I had ordered the nine pound long carriages by mistake. But Mrs Wood sent me an email before filling my order showing me what I had done. So I was able to correct it. Mike

I love this hobby! As I complete each step I get a since of satisfaction. I still have the knees to do and the floor is just sitting in the shell. Even with the errors and mistakes I like what I'm seeing as I go. From the last photo you can see that somehow I am a little long in the floor frame. I'll have to do a little sanding to correct this. Though I built the floor off the ship the rafters that go to the knees will be fitted while in place. When I start the gun deck I will be more careful and precise being as some of that deck will be unplanked. Till the next post it's been a pleasure. Mike

post-24388-0-37455800-1470536492_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-45528600-1470536565_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-33742800-1470536605_thumb.jpg

Looks great, Mike.  I'm guessing everyone's old friend "tolerance build up" found it's way into your deck...   ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark I keep finding reasons that I'm glad that I chose this as a starter build. When I build the gun deck I'll measure between the printout and the cross section so that everything lines up better. I also find that the knees are tricky to notch without breaking. I went to a finer tooth on my scroll saw. The cut is smoother and easier to control. Thanks Mike. PS do you know of any ships boat kits that I can get to add to my Sovereign deck?

Boat kits... hmm... not off the top of my head, Mike.  You might as that in the Wooden Kit area.. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/24-wood-ship-model-kits/  Be sure to mention scale and approximate size of the boat(s).    

Model Expo were selling some plank on bulkhead/frame type boats... 4" long and down, but I don't know if they still carry them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

its been awhile since I last posted a update. But I've not been idle. The more I looked at the lower deck and how much it was not squaring up to the shell I removed it with alcohol and chunked it in the waste bin.this time I went thru the pallets at work and milled the wood down to the correct sizes that I needed. As you can see this time it fits well. I took a lot more time this go round. Still have quite a bit more work to do before this deck is finished but I wanted to do an update. I feel better about things now. See y'all later, Mike.

post-24388-0-83124800-1472091690_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-03283200-1472091790_thumb.jpg

Yeah I liked the way the first deck looked but when I put it in it stuck out almost a quarter inch at one corner. And then when I went to trim it to fit, I would have butchered it to bad. So I chose to redo instead. This one fits nicely, so I'm pleased. Thanks Pete. More words and pics later, Mike.

Well I've been a bit busy playing with my cross section. Started the planking in poplar,and I did my simulated caulking with a sharpie.still more to plank, as I'm going to plank the complete lower floor. As you can see I decided to add a hatchway. I had been thinking about this for awhile. I decided being as this is my practice scratch build, there are a few extra added details going in. Below the lower floor I'm going to add a sub floor with a scuttle hatch just for fun. This stuff is ruining everything. I work hard in construction and being 57 I was going to bed around 8 o'clock. Now my wife tells, do you know that it is after 11. I just get to having fun and the night flies by. Looking at what the masters do has added a whole new level of pleasure. Till next time, Michael. By the way you can see my hanging knees. I could not find any template for the lower knees, so I just cut one to shape out of card stock. I cut it at a time and then split them apart. Works out pretty good. Just another skill that I learned from y'all. Thanks.

post-24388-0-99301100-1472691670_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-58326200-1472691794_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-64526700-1472691828_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedDawg

Here's a couple more photos that I had trouble uploading earlier. You can see the sub floor rafters. They are not glued in yet. I want to add the cross tembers first. I'm also going to try my hand at making barrels using my drill with a speed control. I will show pics of how I use my drill when I get to that part. Later, Mike.

post-24388-0-93087700-1472694904_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-85395100-1472694964_thumb.jpg

What are you planning to use as a finish?  Any solvent based finish will cause the Sharpie to bleed into the surrounding wood.  (I found that lesson out the hard way.)  That is why many of us use a pencil lead, paper or paint.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Tony right now I'm open to any ideas that others may have. Being new to scratch building my thoughts are many, but my knowledge is little. On the inside of the lower deck I gave linseed oil a tryout being as I happen to have some at the moment. What would minwax or wipe on poly do?

Experiment on some scrap to see what brand appeals to you.  But since you used a Sharpie, it should be an acrylic finish to prevent bleeding.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Well it's time for another report. As y'all can see I've been busy. My sub floor and scuttle hatch came out well. Still needs sanding and a coat of something. As this is practice for future builds, it will probably have multiple finishes by the time it is done. I took some of T.Livines words to use and used pencil for the sub floor planking. Next is what I consider a real challenge treenailing the deck. It's been an enjoyable day off. Till later, Mike.

post-24388-0-69885600-1472853008_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-77438100-1472853052_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-49511700-1472869796_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-50118600-1472869904_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-64921400-1472870046_thumb.jpg

post-24388-0-93345900-1472870167_thumb.jpg