Sovereign of the Seas 1637 by modelshipwright (Bill Short) - Sergal - 1:78 - Port "as built", Starboard "as presented to King Charles I for approval"

Simple brilliant! I wsh I can express myself better, but my mind is still numb with that Incrediblywow details in that last photo!

goodonya Vince

Greg

Thanks Greg. I assume this was meant for another thread for someone called Vince.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Thank you Bill.... I must apologize.... If I had studied your posting closer, I would have realized it was the poop deck bulkhead you were building, which is indeed depicted with a straight configuration.  I think I was thrown off by the beautiful windows and the center doorway.
As much as I like it, .unfortunately, I cannot correct my model at this point as there is not enough difference in the deck levels to create that configuration.

The very old Italian plan sheets I was using to begin this project turned out to be so terribly flawed, I have long-ago abandoned them and have relied completely on your build log as well as the beautiful job Doris has provided.

Thanks again.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks Greg. I assume this was meant for another thread for someone called Vince.

Regards,

Bill

Sorry Bill.

It was for you, but my brain was already asleep as it was 1 am when I wrote it. My bad!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Like most things of a weighted nautical nature i think we as builders follow to many strait lines, when perhaps we should follow more curviture and  shape, all of the drawings and paintings or even modern ships i have seen show a subtle but deffinate curve that not only follow decks but details and fixtures.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you Bill.... I must apologize.... If I had studied your posting closer, I would have realized it was the poop deck bulkhead you were building, which is indeed depicted with a straight configuration.  I think I was thrown off by the beautiful windows and the center doorway.

As much as I like it, .unfortunately, I cannot correct my model at this point as there is not enough difference in the deck levels to create that configuration.

The very old Italian plan sheets I was using to begin this project turned out to be so terribly flawed, I have long-ago abandoned them and have relied completely on your build log as well as the beautiful job Doris has provided.

Thanks again.

Dave

Hey Dave,

You have found me out on this issue. When I adjusted the base construction of SOS to accommodate the many changes I wanted to make, I overlooked the poop deck height and it is the same as yours. What I did to compensate was to make an illusion that the deck was higher by finishing the fore side of the bulkhead with windows that are higher than the height of the deck.

post-2916-0-66057400-1458387004_thumb.jpg

If viewed from the aft side, this rail is plain with no windows as if they are below the deck level.

post-2916-0-78502600-1458387029_thumb.jpg

It was the only way I could think of to correct my error.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by modelshipwright

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Like most things of a weighted nautical nature i think we as builders follow to many strait lines, when perhaps we should follow more curviture and  shape, all of the drawings and paintings or even modern ships i have seen show a subtle but deffinate curve that not only follow decks but details and fixtures.

OC

You hit upon something that is very important to my build. It has been a 'visual' build from the very start for me and at every step, I think about what the paintings show with the beautiful curvature of all aspects of the ship and have tried to duplicate that in my build. I build it to what pleases my eye rather than to specific dimensions and scale, keeping in mind that it must be in proportion to the scale of the model for the most part.

Regards,

Bill

The following photo shows the assembly of the fore deck rails. They now have to be final fitted in place so that the joins are smooth and flowing from front to side rails.

post-2916-0-03037200-1458387793_thumb.jpg

More to follow.......

Cunning dodge, Bill, on the poop deck bulkhead! Had you not pointed it out, I doubt if anyone would have noticed. Your secret is safe with us! Lovely work on those rails.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Bill, in my close examination of your bulkhead (considering whether or not to re-do mine), I did note your clever "illusion".... and absolutely love the look.  Incredibly beautiful indeed.

Another issue I find, in my case, is that the location of the companionway on the half deck is just too close to the bulkhead to achieve that design.  I may, however add the port side steps from the half deck to the poop deck.... just not right now, as I am focused on the formidable task of transom sculpting.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

HMS Roebuck, 44, built in 1770 to a Thomas Slade design, had a complete row of quarter and stern lights, the stern lights of which had their lower sash level with the surface of the completely open quarterdeck, according to Harold Hahn.  It made for a more imposing appearance from afar.

It is fantastic to see you back in the shipyard Bill.I have had along break from my build due to new job and finally selling and moving house.This ship isn't one I can pick up and do an odd hour here and there,it is just so time absorbing.

One of the great things about this vessel is that unless you build a kit OOTB then there is so much choice due to personal interpretation of the reference material.

I look forward to seeing more,it may also give me the push I need to revisit mine.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

It is fantastic to see you back in the shipyard Bill.I have had along break from my build due to new job and finally selling and moving house.This ship isn't one I can pick up and do an odd hour here and there,it is just so time absorbing.

One of the great things about this vessel is that unless you build a kit OOTB then there is so much choice due to personal interpretation of the reference material.

I look forward to seeing more,it may also give me the push I need to revisit mine.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I hope to see you back at your SOS soon.

Regards,

Bill

The work now begins on fabricating the beak-head supports. I am using contemporary paintings and sketches as well as some beautiful models of the Sovereign that I have seen in my travels as guides to how I will represent the beak-head. One such model is located at the US Naval Academy in Preble Hall, Annapolis MD. Built in 1921 by Henry B Culver. Another was built by Ed Marples and is located in the Ventura County Maritime Museum in Oxnard CA. I have viewed both of these fine models and have many photos to refer to. The following picture shows the blanks cut out in Costello Boxwood. Now begins the process of forming the shapes that best support the sculptures they will be fitted with.

post-2916-0-96320200-1458649046_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the blanks test mounted on the beak.

post-2916-0-87920200-1458649083_thumb.jpg

More to follow.............

The bulk head supports are now modified to include the height of the side decorative panel and are now gently curving towards the beak where joined.

post-2916-0-58882500-1458738108_thumb.jpg

The forward edges of the supports are now being beveled to reflect the line of future planking and structural woodwork that will support the sculptures.

post-2916-0-61989000-1458738187_thumb.jpg

Side view.

post-2916-0-63455900-1458738473_thumb.jpg

More to follow................

Stunning work Bill . Will be following

B V

Thank you for your comment.

Bill

G'day Bill

Can't wait for your next entry! Beautiful work and I'm sure the wait (for the next entry) will be worth it.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

G'day Bill

Can't wait for your next entry! Beautiful work and I'm sure the wait (for the next entry) will be worth it.

Havagooday

Greg

Thanks Greg.

Regards,

Bill

Using Scandinavian Birch plywood, I have rough formed the decl substructure of the beak and glued it in place.

post-2916-0-96323900-1458838012_thumb.jpg

After the glue dried, I trimmed the excess from the edges and re-assessed the shaping of the beak head supports to give a pleasing transition from the hull to the beak. Every syupport received a reshaping to achieve this.

post-2916-0-49228100-1458838148_thumb.jpg

Scratch building these components to fit the vision in my mind and at the same time to conform to what is essentially the base of a Sergal kit can sometimes be challenging. In the end, it is my eye that takes over and adjustments are made to get close to the overall look I am trying to achieve. This takes more time but it is well worth it.

More to follow...............

The beak deck is now rough planked with Holly planks ready for scraping and final finishing.

post-2916-0-57957000-1458848433_thumb.jpg

More to follow.............

G'day Bill 

Looking great to me.

I always trust my "mind's eye" rather than a plan. Remember it's your model and you have to put your own touches to it. That way it's your creation not a stock standard from a plan or a kit.

Havagooday 

Greg 

The following picture shows scraping the Holly deck planks with a furniture scraper to remove inconsistencies in the plank thicknesses and any excess glue. The next step will be to treenail the deck.

post-2916-0-15235700-1458913726_thumb.jpg

More to follow.........

Bill, will your model have a small short deck level above this level of planks.... butting into the bulkhead?

On second thought Dave, I may have misinterpreted what you meant. Do you mean another deck level on the beak?

Bill

In this picture I am simulating plank endings using a modified straight razor blade to press cut the lines at the end of the planks.

post-2916-0-93980900-1458916442_thumb.jpg

This shot shows the completed simulated plank ends after removal of the reference lines.

post-2916-0-82872000-1458916496_thumb.jpg

Next step is to simulate treenails.

More to follow...............

The following series of photos shows my method of representing treenails at this scale without drilling holes and making very thin wooden treenails. First I create the holes with a drafting divider.

post-2916-0-45064300-1458937796_thumb.jpg

Then I rotate a 5H pencil lead in the holes to create the illusion of wooden treenails.

post-2916-0-30176800-1458937837_thumb.jpg

Finally after sanding to remove any surface pencil marks,

you can see the result.

post-2916-0-18078000-1458937881_thumb.jpg

More to follow................

G'day Bill

brilliant idea on your treenails. I'll try that method, rather thn my usual one of drill a very fine hole after the timber is varnished and rubbing a tiny piece of coloured filler in and sanding off the excess. Then varnish again.

Havagooday

Greg

Bill,

Yes indeed - brilliant idea on your treenails. 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

After some due consideration of my attempt to replicate the beak I came to the conclusion that it would not satisfy my vision of drainage grates and would not accurately reflect building methods of the day so I removed the decking and have started milling and building a new version of this area. The following picture shows the beginning of the fabrication.

post-2916-0-83491300-1459257133_thumb.jpg

More to follow...........