Lady Nelson by Overworked724 - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Well, I have to admit, that was during summer holiday. Now that I'm back to work, building speed has dropped considerably. I just meant to say, keep going and it will work out fine. (I prefer single malt whisky myself, but that doesn't have the jack tar's ring to it)

Edited by Dutchman

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

I'm still progressing at the rate of 2~4 planks daily. That does include shaping, trial fit and finally gluing. Note the equal numbers - do one each side as this (hopefully) keeps it all fairly even as you progress down the ship.

Rick

On a happier note...I went to a ship-club mate's house to get some expert advice.  Needless to say, a wealth of wisdom lies not within books, forums, or practicums (although they have their place in supporting learning)...it truly lies in watching, discussing, and practicing new techniques with others who know more than you.  Experience is the best teacher...but having a teacher can be even better when you hit a brick wall.

I learned how to use a plank bender and have a new respect for the ease in which filler blocks can be placed.  Valuable week!

My frustration has been broken by club mates and the feedback on this forum. 

Thanks all!  

I will sail on.....

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Oh, lucky you! Wish I had a teacher somewhere near, who could show me some tricks. Oh well. I Guess I have to make do with the tips on the back of the cereals box.  :piratetongueor4:

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

Given that the kit is a "representative cutter" it seems to bear quite a resemblance to the cutter "Trial" at the Maritime Museum London. So if you want to tart it up a little you could check it out here http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66111.html?_ga=1.218131545.130913607.1476847166for a few tweaks.

Rick

Edited by Rick01

I took a lot of pictures of cutter models when I visited the National Maritime Museum at Chatham. I had asked to see the ones in their collection and they brought the models out to show me in their warehouse. They moved the Trial to their collection there, and I included pictures of that as well. These pictures are far more detailed and close up than the ones you can see on the NMM website.

You can see the pictures of the various models in my posting '18th and early 19th Century cutter models', and lots of discussion about the details in my build log of the Sherbourne.

You'll also see lots of great discussion and in-depth analysis in other builds of the Sherbourne by Kester, Dirk and Gregor (each of whom did much better research and building than I was able to), as well as similar analysis in Chuck's build of the cutter Cheerful.

If you search for 'cutter' in the forum discussions you'll find a wealth of knowledge and insight that will help you should you want to improve on the accuracy of the kit.

Tony

I forgot to add that you'll probably find that no two cutters are alike. They varied not only from decade to decade and type to type, but also from yard to yard and from owner to owner. Even more, you'll probably find that no two models or paintings of any cutter are exactly alike. It might be that if everyone stuck rigidly to the kit parts and the kit plans then you'd get some similarity, but even then you might find variations in sails, rigging etc.

You'll note, for example, that the Trial was exactly that -- a trial ship (testing a lowering keel) built 27 years after the Sherbourne. So it had its own unique characteristics.

This adds up to a general statement: you can choose what you want to do, at a level that's comfortable for you, with tools that you are comfortable with, with a level of detail that pleases you, and above all doing it in a way that keeps you happy while you accumulate skills and knowledge.

Tony

• 2 months later...