La Jacinthe by aviaamator - schooner 1825 - 1:20

On 3/15/2019 at 12:20 PM, aviaamator said:

My question to dear colleagues: the boat keel was upholstered with a steel strip or not?

It wouldn't have been steel if it were there, it would have wood held on with staples.  The reason being is if the ship grounded, those wood pieces would have come loose and protected the keel.    I have no idea if a ship that size would have had this as I've only seen it on (French for this) frigates and larger ships so I think the smaller ones would not have had this.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What I see is that there's a raised platform and and what looks to be another one more forward but on the top view it doesn't show.  This is the cutter (a ship's boat) right?  Are there any other drawings of these areas?  I don't have this monograph to check but I did some logs which I linked to below.  There's several others but these two are still in work.

Have look here:  

And here:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great to see you back, Aviaamator.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'm going to like that post.   It's good to be fighting and hopefully you'll be winning.    What is that in photo?  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Either French ship's boats of a given type or size  were all alike I can't say.  But it's possible that Boudriot used the same plans for all his monographs.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That's what I would do unless you plans from someone else like Gerard Delacroix.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello Aviaamator, I have not followed your blog for a long time, but now I see that you have had some progress. What a wonderful ship's boat you have made, congratulations!

There are a few mistakes at Ancre's plans, so don't worry. You have to use your imagination once and a while to think how to continue building. After all nobody can claim afterwards if certain details have been build right or wrong, if they are built as perfectly as you are doing.

And I am very glad you have healed from your health problems, congratulations for that too!