HMS Dreadnought 1907 by RGL - FINISHED - Zvezda - 1/350- PLASTIC

Onto the big guns. As they really are the thing to draw the eye on a model, there is a lot of detail required. If you compare the AOTS image to the kit provided gun, there is a lot of work to do.post-253-0-70181200-1471480688_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-60921500-1471480693_thumb.jpg

As I got both upgrade kits, there is not a lot of overlap, and the Pontos stuff is nicer, but Flyhawk gives you resin periscopes, compared to using the blobs provided by Zvzeda. As such lot of reduction and sanding to do. The 12 pounders will all be replaced of course. post-253-0-70913600-1471480698_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-19550400-1471480704_thumb.jpg

Pontos provides a full barrel and trunions, where as Flyhawk has plug in barrels. Pontos it is. Neither kit has enough 12 pounder barrels to meet the full complement, but with a combination I can get there.

Greg

Hi Greg - I've been following along on your build for a little while. This is top notch work! I wondered what tools you use for photo-etch bending. I have some small bending pliers but wondered what else you use and find helpful? Thanks

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

Moving along, as I don't have enough of the Pontos barrels, I have to use Flyhawk ones, which require a bit more reduction of the North Start 12 pounder's barrels. Not hard, just tiny. Then adding the small pieces of photo etch to the side of the guns on some tape for stability. I will paint and add the flywheels off kit so they don't just blend in. post-253-0-27457800-1471750012_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-18271300-1471750022_thumb.jpg .

The main guns fit nicely but the brackets for the trunions require sanding back so the top and bottom of the turrets sit flush. post-253-0-46355000-1471750148_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-68417900-1471750151_thumb.jpg

Then there is some small pieces of etch that represent the turret rings, which require bending of the 1mm brackets upwards so they sit flush. post-253-0-59136400-1471750231_thumb.jpg

Finally the ladders for the front of the guns and the periscopes. The tops of the turrets are going to be painted separately as they are a darker shade of grey. post-253-0-93801800-1471750309_thumb.jpg

I have now painted them all, but in the process of adding washes and drybrushing to bring out detail. Once that is done I shall post again.

Greg

I'm thinking whoever is assigned to those 12 pdrs. (?) atop the main turrets is gonna have to strap themselves in or the suction from firing the big guns may get them.

Apparently they were placed there to meet the threat of torpedo boats, I reckon the concussion from the big guns would kill you.

The question surfaces: What to do when in active combat with an enemy battleship/cruiser and torpedoboats running in on the ship ... I wonder if they would decide either the big guns or the smaller ... Honestly, I can't imagine the concussion would kill you, but I'm not savvy on the subject

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The question surfaces: What to do when in active combat with an enemy battleship/cruiser and torpedoboats running in on the ship ... I wonder if they would decide either the big guns or the smaller ... Honestly, I can't imagine the concussion would kill you, but I'm not savvy on the subject

If you were manning your 12 pdr. on one of those side turrets and the main battery fired on an aft bearing . . .

Later:

I did a little Googling and while I didn't find anybody who could testify to the results, nobody volunteered to go stand on top of a turret while the guns were fired.

Edited by jbshan

Would not be using the Main Battery and the Secondary Battery guns mounted on the turrets at the same time. Guns were not mounted for long on top of turrets until the need for more AA guns in WW 2 came along, Then the US Navy installed quad 40's on top of turrets 2 and 3, manned only during AA action, other countries did the same. The Dreadnought was the first of a type that rapidly was overshadowed and improved upon as more of the Steel Navy evolved, think that Germany had a larger and better armed vessel on the ways before the Dreadnought had her first sea trials, beginning the Battleship race.

jud

Edited by jud

Finally back after the road trip to find the amazing progress you have achieved Greg; she is looking the 'ants pants' with some amazing detail at that scale.

Back to the plates under the cable; i would be very surprised if she did not have any.  These acted as 'scotchmans' to protect the wood deck, or even thin deck plating, from the chain as it bounced around while being worked.  You would be amazed at the damage that can be done from that.

cheers 

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Welcome back old boy! Most of the painting is done, but I did spend a good hour today searching for a prodigal lamb of a periscope that went into orbit, and my employer demanding that I put in an honest day's work. My youngest saw me searching the floor said; "you've lost something"

"Yes mate"

"I bet it's important"

"Yes mate, otherwise I would not be on my hands and knees looking for it"

As it eventuates, it was 6 inches away, not on the floor, and the hour I spent mentally preparing the email to Flyhawk begging a replacement was not wasted as the floor is very clean.

Greg

Oh you have to love those moments Greg  :)  i don't know how often I have lost a small part only to find it a couple of days later exactly in the area I had searched and searched.

It was a great trip and I enjoyed our catch-up.

cheers

Pat

Welcome back old boy! Most of the painting is done, but I did spend a good hour today searching for a prodigal lamb of a periscope that went into orbit, and my employer demanding that I put in an honest day's work. My youngest saw me searching the floor said; "you've lost something"

"Yes mate"

"I bet it's important"

"Yes mate, otherwise I would not be on my hands and knees looking for it"

As it eventuates, it was 6 inches away, not on the floor, and the hour I spent mentally preparing the email to Flyhawk begging a replacement was not wasted as the floor is very clean.

I had the same problem Greg do you think I could find the bollards and part of my spinner that just fell off somewhere,  The carpet monster has a lot to answer to :(:)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The detailing is looking superb Greg; a very fine addition to your miniature fleet.

cheers

Pat

Impressive detailing, Greg. Will be interesting to see the torpedo nets. Will you deploy them or leave them stowed?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looking forward to seeing that, Greg. Love your work on this ship.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

There is a special room in hell for the designers of the aerials on the dreadnought. The kit comes with spreaders, and I see most people try and use stretched sprue or thin metal wire, but trying to be consistent I used the ezyline. The first attempt came out like this.

post-253-0-80545800-1472435824_thumb.jpg

A little more thought and going cross-eyed because of the scale, I came up with this. post-253-0-90498300-1472435829_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-22302600-1472435837_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-08612000-1472435842_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-10247300-1472435848_thumb.jpg

And hopefully I can end up with this. post-253-0-17857200-1472435849.jpg

I just have to attach them under tension now. Then I can finally ad some more rigging, and back to making progress.

Greg